Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cherokee or Compass?

Discussion in 'Compacts: Renegade, Patriot, Compass, Caliber' started by npaladin2000, Mar 13, 2017.

1. npaladin2000

npaladin2000 LOAD "*",8,1
    Level 2 Supporter

Ok, I assume I'm NOT going to be the only one thinking about this. So I figure thoughts and discussion will be helpful for many people. Anyway, I'm thinking about both, mostly because of the incentives currently on the Cherokee. I'm kind of flipping back and forth:

Compass: AndroidAuto, the styling, and the latest version of the ZF 9-speed are attracting my attention here.

Cherokee: The V6, ventilated seats, and adaptive cruise are what are pulling me towards this.

Tough decision, isn't it? AndroidAuto or adaptive cruise? This is the big one for me, I feel. I can probably get past the styling, the V6 would be nice since it's not that big a penalty. I spend about 2 hours a day in my car, a lot of it on the highway. I get a supplier discount, so the Cherokee will probably end up cheaper between that and the incentives for an older model.

Interested in hearing everyone's thoughts on this.

2. DBY2014

DBY2014 Active Member

I would buy the Cherokee if I were you, been out longer and has a lot of the bugs worked out, including the 9 speed. The Cherokee V6 is great and pairs much better with the 9 speed. I would not buy a first year model from FCA. Also, Android Auto can now be run natively on your phone, you don't need a car's head unit to run Android Auto. Get a good phone mount (like Proclips) and just use your phone with the Cherokee. Heck, factor in a new LG G6 or Galaxy S8 with your new car- they have nice big displays that Android Auto would look nice on.;)

RonGD likes this.
  3. npaladin2000

Level 2 Supporter

This is a good point, though a 5.5 inch screen is nothing like the 8 inch in-dash setup.

Of course, I could also do something with that 8 inch NVIDIA SHIELD tablet I'm not using anymore, but that would be kinda big mounted in the windshield. :)

4. rapidtrans

rapidtrans Well-Known Member

If looking at fwd versions i'd go for the Cherokee. Quieter and much more stable on the hwys. The fwd Renegade seemed too softly suspended. I would hope the awd version Renegade rides a little firmer. Whatever screen size or trans comes with it is farther down my list of concerns..

5. T_690

T_690 Active Member

I thought this one is simple. If you want 4 cylinders than go for Compass but if you want V6 than Cherokee is your choice.

6. npaladin2000

Level 2 Supporter

THe engine isn't that big a deal for me...well, yeah, a V6 would be nice. And I'm really leaning Cherokee given the current incentives (they're so good my friend at work skipped the supplier discount and got the incentives instead, apparently).

It wierds me out that Jeep didn't include adaptive cruise on the Compass, though. And you have to get Active Drive 2 to be able to do 4WD-Lock in the Cherokee, right? Versus available in all trims of the Compass.

The more I think about it, Android Auto may be kind of meaningless in a real sense. I use Waze (not compatible). And Spotify and Google Play Music work over Bluetooth anyway.

7. BobbiBigWheels

BobbiBigWheels I'm likely at work...
    Level 2 Supporter

...are you a PC gamer???

As for your quandry - Adaptive Cruise is a nice gimmick to have (I have it in my Charger), however, you will find yourself not using it nearly as much as you may think. It is not designed for an emergency stop, and the first time traffic goes from 70 MPH to 20 MPH quickly will scare the @$%# out of you. That was enough for me to stop using it.

My only regret with my Charger is that Android Auto is not available. There is a free update for Siri compatibility, however, I won't get into my thoughts on the Apple Empire.

npaladin2000 likes this.
  8. npaladin2000

Level 2 Supporter

Heh I used to be, but I switched from Windows to Chromebooks. Now I game on Android. :)

I spend a lot of time on an interstate filled with stupid people who keep constant pressure on the pedal, so as they go up and down hills they don't maintain a steady speed. I figure Adaptive Cruise is worth a shot. I'd probably disable it when I hit the traffic-y portion of my commute anyway. That's where the collision avoidance will be more helpful, with people jumping forward and suddenly stopping just to make sure they don't open a gap for some other car to slip into. You can tell I hold my fellow NYS drivers in high regard right? ;)

I figure I would like Android Auto, if Waze was compatible with it. But at this rate I'm not sure they're ever going to get that done. So it'd only be useful for Google Play Music, and I'd have to switch to using Google Nav. Which doesn't tell me where the cops are hiding. ;)

I just specced out a Cherokee High Altitude, definitely do-able with the incentives. And Firecracker Red with the black badging and accents should look real sharp. Is that a metallic? Thought it looked metallic in a couple of photos/videos but I'm not sure.

One thing I wish is that the Cherokee's manual mode was an actual manual mode. But it should be workable for engine braking and snow driving I guess.

9. voiceofstl

voiceofstl Well-Known Member

Is it my age?? I've had cell phones for over 20 years now, my present one is still a flip phone. Its small and when I drop it I just pick it up with out a worry. When I look at a car the last thing I care about is the "infotainment" "system". I do admitt that for buisness hands free phone through the radio is a nice safty feature.
    Most car reviews now half the review is about the radio. sriously when you talk about androis/apple is just about your music collection?
    So a top criteria about buying a new car is it ability to play your music?
    Am I missing something here?

10. npaladin2000

Level 2 Supporter

What's the deal with the "True North" package on the Cherokee? I can't find it on the website, but it contains the wiper defrosters.

11. CudaPete

Ad-Free Member

I have a 16 Cherokee with the cold weather package. The wiper defrosters are an electric grid in the base of the windshield. They work well. Kept up fine with the wife's Wrangler in yesterday' s blizzard. Had it since January of last year. No problems and the 3.2 V6 provides plenty of power while averaging 26 mpg. I've seen up to 31 mpg for highway only. The 9-spd was a little sketchy at first but has had 3 software updates and seems to shift fine now. I would recommend it.

12. BobbiBigWheels

BobbiBigWheels I'm likely at work...
    Level 2 Supporter

@npaladin2000 - Cold Weather Group consists of Heated seats, Heated Steering Wheel, Remote Start, and Slush Mats. I've never heard of a True North package. The High Altitude Package is a nice package, the black badging, gloss black wheels, and black roof rails tie in well with many of the colours available. Firecracker Red, as far as I have known, was only available on Wrangler. Perhaps it is an American option. Firecracker Red does not have a "fleck" in the paint, however it is a vibrant pearl red. As for the windshield de-icer, @CudaPete described it perfectly. And it works marvelously.

13. npaladin2000

Level 2 Supporter

Yeah, I guess this is in the wrong forum now. Having actual options got confusing after a Hyundai and two Mazdas. :)

I am having trouble finding a Cherokee the way I want it, but I guess that'll be the dealer's problem. At least I could go Limited or High Altitude. I like the black badging better though.

Theoretically I could do an Overland but that would push my budget pretty hard.