Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cherokee XJ 1998 Infinity stereo anti-theft problem

Discussion in 'Cherokee, Liberty, Nitro' started by Fredrik G., Jun 11, 2016.

1. Fredrik G.

Fredrik G. New Member

Hello,

Not sure if this is the right place, but if someone could help me I'd appreciate it a lot :)

I wanted to install a FM-radio emulator in order to hookup my iphone to the Infinity stereo. I got out the stereo and tried to find some AC-power for the emulator. So I pulled out the set of "feed" cables from the stereo - big mistake - to try to use the AC from here. I put the cables back in again without changing anything, since I found power elsewhere. Now the stereo won't turn ON when I turn on the ignition. The anti-theft lamp is blinking red.

What to do? I tried pulling the battery and open/close the central locking several times to no effect. I've had the WAIT/CODE problem before, but I have the code so no problem there. But this time it's worse :-(

The car is not equipped with a burglar alarm.

Help!

Kind Regards
    Fredrik

2. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

3. Fredrik G.

Fredrik G. New Member

Hello there,

Thanks for your reply!

Problem is the display is "dead". Nothing happens when I turn on the ignition and press the power-button on the stereo. The anti-theft lamp is blinking away perfectly though..

/Fredrik

4. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

Do you have power on both the 'H' (Battery) and 'I' (Ignition) terminals with the key on as well as a good radio ground?
    Dodge car stereo wiring diagram connector pinout harness.jpg
    Any response from pressing any buttons? Can you hold the power button in while turning the ignition key on?
    It sounds like the radio 'logic' may be locked up?

5. Fredrik G.

Fredrik G. New Member

Hi again,

No power anymore from "I", but "H" looks good. The radio ground is ok.

Im not sure why "I" is suddenly dead, but I suppose it makes sense the car cuts the power to the radio if it's being rampered with..?

I tried using a different source of power: the CCD data bus. What happens now is that the display actually lights up but shows nothing and the red anti-theft lamp is still blinking.

I agree with your statement that it's locked up in some magical way. Question is, how to "un-lock" it?

No response whatsoever from pushig any buttons :(

/Fredrik

6. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

'I' and 'H' will have to be at 12 volts to power the radio. The CCD bus is a low-voltage data communications bus and won't power the radio. Maybe the fuse that powers 'I' has blown?
    I believe that the anti-theft protection is all internal and unique to the individual radio.
    Being in the US, I am not very familiar with the export anti-theft radio, but others have had issues where they have had to enlist assistance from a 3rd party to get the code for their radio. Proof of ownership is necessary for getting the code.
    Can you jumper 'I' and 'H' together and see if 'CODE' appears in the display?
    I don't have the wiring diagrams for the XJ and the wire colors may be different than the ZJ/ZG, but the wiring purposes may be similar.
    The ZG-body CCD and panel lamps driver (dimming) is contained in the BCM (body control module). The ZG is the export Grand Cherokee, a different vehicle than the smaller XJ Cherokee, but maybe similar enough for the service information to be helpful in diagnosis of this problem. The wiring is shown in chapter 8W-47 here:
    http://oskin.ru/pub/chrysler-dodge/manuals/Service Manuals/1997_ZG_Jeep_Grand_Cherokee/EZG_8WL.PDF

7. Fredrik G.

Fredrik G. New Member

Hi again,

You were right. I hade shot the fuse for the radio. I changed it and now it works fine. I was asked for the code which I do have, so now it's working again. Thanks for that! I was fooled by the fact that it had power for the anti-theft lamp and also illumination, so I never considered there was a fuse-issue.

Ok so now I'd like to connect my FM-radio emulator which needs power, as well as a bluetooth unit which also needs power. Where to take this from? i do believe there's enough voltage in the CCD power cable to run'em.. What's the CCD bus for anyway?

Again, many thanks for your quick and sharp replies

KR
    Fredrik

8. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

The CCD bus is to provide data communication between the electronic modules in the vehicle. It isn't a source for 12 volts. It is more like 2.5 volts:
    Chrysler -- CCD (Chrysler Collision Detection) Data Bus - carprog - 博客园
    You might be able to power your accessories from the 'I' wire at the radio. They probably don't use that much current, so the fuse should be able to handle the added load.