AF: Chevy, Lincoln dealers say they still want sedans | Page 2 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chevy, Lincoln dealers say they still want sedans

Discussion in 'Auto News & Rumors' started by page2171, Feb 17, 2020.

1. Scrounge

Scrounge Got parts?

Well, I'm not selling MINE for dirt.

This might be the case for 2000-2005 models; mine's a 2008 LT, of a generation that was produced from 2006 to 2013, and for fleet sales only from 2014 to 2016. Plenty are available, but the cheapest ones have lots of miles; an LTZ or SS in good condition with fewer miles can command higher prices. The subsequent (and at this point, last) generation is supposedly a nice car, but it looks common and cheaper, and didn't sell as well.

I wouldn't say that about any Impala produced after 1996. The 2000-2005 models were essentially face-lifted Luminas, which were mid-sized models. The subsequent models were slightly larger, but mine feels mid-sized. It's maneuverable enough, and returns better than 30 mpg on the freeway.

I hope he likes it, and that it reliably provides the use he wants of it. Kia had terrible resale value in the 1990's; their quality has since improved, but perception often lags, so he shouldn't expect much for it when he's ready to sell or trade in.

But only small hatchbacks. When GM tried that design on their mid-sized cars during the 1978 model year, it was a sales flop, and was ended after only 2 model years.

Ford earlier than GM; the look of the '49 Ford, without wider fenders, wasn't fully copied by Chevy until their 1955 model year. I'd add the Kaiser/Frazer and the step-down Hudson to the Ford, along with Packard starting with the '51 model year, and Studebaker starting with their '53 models. Nash somewhat for 1951. But yes, Mopar didn't catch up until the '55 model year. Also, most makes offered an optional fully automatic transmission earlier than Mopar did.

wolfsblood07 likes this.
  2. valiant67

valiant67 ...

The problem is that significant incentives were required to move those 200's. So they just weren't making much, if any money on them. Of course, the incentives on Cherokee are just as significant, if not more so. Cherokee's sales "success" like the 200, was bought with incentives. There was just more wiggle room in Cherokee margin that 200 margin. And FCA learned nothing from the "failure" of 200 as they repeat the same mistakes in CUVs.

My dealer misses the 200. They bought up as many as they could at the end. But they avoided Darts. They will keep a 200 trade on the lot but send Darts to auction. But I'm sure the dealer liked selling the 200 when new because of the deal they could offer more than the car itself.

#22 valiant67, Feb 19, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
  3. Powdered Toast Man

Powdered Toast Man Move along, nothing to see here

As soon as Dart and 200 ceased production every single one of the CDJR dealers in my area loaded up their used lots with Cruzes and Corolas. Not surprising since FCA ended sedans and then didn't bother replacing them with any crossover or hatchback products. Dodge and Chrysler don't have a Kona or Soul or HR-V or CX-3.

gforce2002 likes this.
  4. vipergg

vipergg Well-Known Member

And Kia keeps the pressure on too . Went to the car show and sat in a new Kia Seltos and this is one nice looking small CUV and has good room in it . KIA has some of the nicest interiors out there now and it has also has a reasonable price . Would be inclined to seriously look at one but the thing I didnt like was they use a CVT now . I guess with a 100000 mile warranty it is not a huge risk .

gforce2002 and page2171 like this.
  5. Powdered Toast Man

What I'm seeing in my area (Canadian prairie city) over the last 5 or so years is Kia seems to have replaced Dodge/Chrysler in the market as the go-to value for money brand. That is, except for Journeys and Caravans. But those will be gone shortly and I'm curious if Dodge will even be in this market in a couple of years. Almost no one buys an SRT here because 1) we are not a big money region, and 2) we have hard winter 4-5 months of the year. I recall when I had my Magnum I bought a strut brace bar off a realtor who had a beautiful green SRT Challenger in his garage. He had owned it 3 years but was selling the car and all the bolt on parts he'd gotten because he said after 3 years he'd only put 5000 km on it because in his words, "Where am I gonna drive it around here? I has to be garaged all winter because you can't drive that thing in our winters." This is why I find the Dodge brand being pigeonholed into "performance" extremely risky as it's an incredibly niche market.

6. Powdered Toast Man

And to add, FCA ending Journey and Caravan with zero replacement vehicles is them saying they don't care about 50% of Dodge brand's sales disappearing. You guys realize that once these two are gone there will be 5 vehicles in total between both the Dodge and Chrysler brands (that's assuming the 300 continues beyond 2020) and in only three market segments - E size cars, large SUV, and Minivan. Good lord what has happened to this company?

HoboChangba, Bearhawke and vipergg like this.
  7. HoboChangba

HoboChangba Well-Known Member

The CVT is a deal breaker for me in any vehicle.

Bearhawke and vipergg like this.
  8. willy4110

willy4110 Well-Known Member

WOWZERS....That Nazi comment is way out of line.

wolfsblood07 likes this.
  9. Ryan

Staff Member Level III Supporter

You can get a 7-speed DCT automatic in the Seltos.

10. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

It does describe Henry Ford.

The Dearborn Independent - Wikipedia (at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dearborn_Independent )

The Dearborn Independent, also known as The Ford International Weekly, was a weekly newspaper ... published by Henry Ford from 1919 through 1927... [Ford started] articles with themes of a worldwide conspiracy by Jewish super-capitalists, that the Jews invented the stock market and gold standard just to corrupt the world and other peoples. ... The newspaper published The Protocols of the Elders of Zion, which was discredited by The Times of London as a forgery during the Independent's publishing run. ... Several themes from the Dearborn Independent articles appear in Mein Kampf. Hitler even quoted the Dearborn Independent in Mein Kampf and Henry Ford was the only American that Hitler specifically named: "Every year they [the Jews] manage to become increasingly the controlling masters of the labor power of a people of 120,000,000 souls; one great man, Ford, to their exasperation still holds out independently there even now." ... In July 1938, prior to the outbreak of war, the German consul at Cleveland gave Ford, on his 75th birthday, the award of the Grand Cross of the German Eagle, the highest medal Nazi Germany could bestow on a foreigner.”

Moving past Wikipedia (which does cite sources for all this) we have a less “trying to be balanced” writeup.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...5b7df2-509d-11e4-877c-335b53ffe736_story.html

Ford is the only American mentioned by name in Hitler’s notorious “Mein Kampf,” published in 1925. Anti-Semitic Independent articles translated into German and other languages during the 1920s were used to “prove” Nazis were not alone in their pathological hatred of Jews and Judaism. ... You can tell Herr Ford that I am a great admirer of his,” Hitler said. “I shall do my best to put his theories into practice in Germany. ... I regard Henry Ford as my inspiration.

#30 Dave Z, Mar 17, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2020
    AHBGuru likes this.
  11. willy4110

willy4110 Well-Known Member

I am, (and was), aware of that article. The Nazi comment was extremely rude and not called for. That comment was at least 10 times worse than comments for which people have been reprimanded.

12. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

Did I call anyone here a Nazi?

Ford was a Nazi. His name is on the car. A Nazi's name is on the car.

gforce2002 and HoboChangba like this.
  13. wolfsblood07

wolfsblood07 Active Member

It doesn't bother me at all. Although I prefer my Avenger over the comparable Fusion, thus I will not trade it in for one.

14. vipergg

vipergg Well-Known Member

Think it is only available on the highest model turbo engine .

15. Bearhawke

Bearhawke Things happen for a reason

Town Car; Lincoln seems to have that market covered with the Navigator. Cadillac Sedan de Ville; Escalade was a de facto replacement

16. AHBGuru

AHBGuru Active Member

Kinda adds to the smell of the Ford Exploder ...