Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chevy to run a Camaro in the Monster Energy series in 2018

Discussion in 'Motorsports / Racing News' started by Fast Eddie, Aug 10, 2017.

1. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Valued Member
    Level III Supporter

2. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

I think they're messing up by not running two different models. Why run it in cup and nw

3. GasAxe

GasAxe Well-Known Member

I bet most people couldn't tell what models the Cup cars are today without giant stickers of the name. The NW cars at least have some body distinction. Plus it's fitting to race a 2 door, RWD, V8 that you can actually buy as a 2 door, RWD, V8!:)

Clinton H Davis likes this.
  4. Ernesto

Ernesto Active Member

My first new car was a 1967 Plymouth Belvidere 2 door hardtop, the very car Petty won 10 straight NASCAR races in. And yes, Petty's car had door handles, the same as mine did. My doors were not welded shut. I liked NASCAR back in the day. Not today.

5. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Most Nascar fans that I know don't care which of their favorite brand's models are actually racing. They just want to see something from that brand powered by a brand related motor. Most of them are now driving trucks or SUVs manufactured by their favorite brand, not passenger cars.

This is not a problem for the manufacturers either as they make way more $$$ on their trucks and SUVs than they do on sedans/coupes.

danbek likes this.
  6. SE Charger

SE Charger Well-Known Member

One thing I liked about the Charger and Challenger being in Nascar was that they were really V8 RWD cars unlike the Camry and the Fusion. And the Chevy SS? Never actually laid eyes on one, not sure if Chevy even makes them or not.

7. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Yes, they made them............................in AUSTRALIA! From what I saw, they ended up importing fewer than 20,000 of them though that's probably not an updated figure.

8. wolfsblood07

wolfsblood07 Active Member

Does anyone know if anything (hood, roofline, fenders, etc.) on NASCAR cars still matches the regular versions? In the early days the cars were souped up production cars. And it was better then! But very gradually that changed.

DC-93 likes this.
  9. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

The NASCAR template is no where near the production car versions. The template NASCAR uses is different. About the only thing that even resembles the production versions is the front clip. That's about it.

NASCAR hasn't allowed the use of "souped up production cars" for over 25 years.

GasAxe, DC-93 and wolfsblood07 like this.
  10. Mike V.

Mike V. Mopar-nac The Moderator
    Level III Supporter

11,129 have been sold to date. The SS was and is an excellent muscle car exclusively sold in the US due to NASCAR participation. Unfortunately NASCAR participation could not save it.

Sadly, the former Pontiac version of the car sold three times better in a shorter amount of time and Pontiac had pulled out of NASCAR over a decade before ever offering the G8.

Off the showroom floor, the Charger R/T Scat Pack, Charger SRT 392, and Charger SRT Hellcat can run circles around the SS. A good running Charger R/T (5.7L Hemi) with Super Track Pack option can hold its own against the SS also.

Camaro is struggling a bit in sales, it will be interesting to see if additional NASCAR involvement can help it’s sales numbers. Based on the SS sales, and the fact that the Camaro has been used in the second tier series for several years, I doubt it.

Mike

11. Meester Beeg

Meester Beeg Active Member

Show me a Camaro with the wheelbase required by na$car. Or a Camry for that matter.

12. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

It's only a Camaro from the firewall forward. Look at the profile - standard Nascar 2 dr post sedan which can't be differentiated from the Nascar Mustang or the Challenger, for that matter. The window openings alone are about twice as deep as a showroom Camaro. Most of the "Brand C" blowhards that I know couldn't care less as they are driving "Brand C" trucks or SUVs anyway. They just want to see some type of factory backed vehicles with a "Brand C" emblem on them racing and winning.