AF: Chrysler’s “Identity” | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chrysler’s “Identity”

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by 1999 White C5 Coupe, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

2. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

I read both articles. Tavares cannot get here fast enough. I hope he cleans house in Auburn Hills. Many seem to be clueless there about what Chrysler is and it's not rocket science. Chrysler isn't or has ever been Plymouth. Chrysler used to be an upmarket, but not topline mass produced vehicle lineup. Dodge and Chrysler both are severely hampered by mismanagement whether intentional, my belief, or not.

XRT2SRT, HotCarNut, willy4110 and 9 others like this.
  3. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

US business is intact.

4. Citation84

Citation84 Well-Known Member

"Chrysler isn't or has ever been Plymouth. Chrysler used to be an upmarket, but not topline mass produced vehicle lineup. "

My sentiment as well. Even early 80s FWD LeBarons and E Class [?] K car derivatives still had that Chrysler brand cachet: upmarket, better trimmed, etc, so deep is it's name heritage.

Yes, people will argue that it's gravitas as a brand is all gone now, but it isn't for me.

They've gotten Chrysler's target market wrong for years now. "People mover. Mainstream". Never was. Why fight the natural, long established market placement of Chrysler [and Dodge].

Dodge was always "priced among the low priced three' after 1960 and squeezed Plymouth.

You'd think major league movers and shakers in the business would recognize this natural order rather than playing against type. Duhrrrrrr, how bout a Chrysler Renegade ?

A car pulled up behind us and passed on our way home from LA yesterday. I thought it was a Chrysler 300 with an aftermarket grille until it pulled alongside. It was a Bentley 2 door. Not a bad trick for a Bentley to be mistaken for a Chrysler rather than the other way around this time.

jerseyjoe, jimboy, HotCarNut and 4 others like this.
  5. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

When Dodge was a separate franchise and division, it pulled on Plymouth until it was severely wounded. After the divisions were combined, is probably when Plymouth should've been canned. Because then both brands were competing for development money. Others may have different opinions about Plymouth, but it's gone and Chrysler is almost there. It can't be fixed quickly, nor should it be. It needs product and the easiest way forward is to revamp the 300 first. Then by that time maybe some of the Peugeot derived products can be built here.

Citation84, XRT2SRT, jimboy and 3 others like this.
  6. turbonetic

turbonetic Active Member

"Fiat Chrysler has a "house of brands" philosophy, where each is positioned to fulfill a different demand in the market"
    I guess you could go that direction - everything in the showroom to fill every hole in the industry but from a different brand instead of the traditional one. Typically this would cost mega-millions but if you only market the vehicles and not the brands in general I don't see it costing more than it would under the same brand tent.

Market the Chrysler Pacifica - the Dodge charger - The Ram 1500 - not Chrysler, Dodge and Ram brands and then their cars.

7. Tony K

Tony K Active Member

This much is true, which is why I always err on the side of C&D continuing when others were adamant they were "dead brands walking."

Badging the original LX 300 as a Bentley was apparently a thing in Europe. I've seen several on used auto websites in Germany with fake Bentley badging.

Citation84 likes this.
  8. Tony K

Tony K Active Member

The counter-point to this is with fewer brands, you can more effectively do brand advertizing like Ford and Chevy (as well as JEEP and RAM). That makes sense, but I kinda like having some brand options.

9. aldo90731

Loved this quote: “Opel is the true German brand, and Vauxhall is a brand for the British.

Makes Vauxhall sound like a brand for the gluten intolerant or something...LOL

10. aldo90731

Indeed. No just more efficient advertising, but having 13 brands means each brand requires its own brand manager, research budget, etc. The organization structure, number of staff, dedicated resources, etc. all grow as a result.

HotCarNut and page2171 like this.
  11. 55Plaza

55Plaza Well-Known Member

Dodge (sorry Chrysler), RAM & Jeep in North America
    If you don't want Dodge to be a brand , them something generic like CDA (Chrysler Dodge Automobiles)
    for the 300, Pacifica, Charger, Challenger, Durango etc.and any replacement vehicles

12. patfromigh

patfromigh Well-Known Member

Peugeot and Citroen in addition to their European lineup also offer vehicles for the "developing countries" as well as China. The Chinese models are built by Dongfeng and some models are stretched versions of the larger PSA sedans. The Peugeot 301 is marketed in Latin America (including Mexico), Asia and Africa. The Pickup is marketed in Africa.

The reason I bring all this up is I desperately hope the PSA people understand American tastes. It would be easy to heap abuse on Fiat at this point because they often don't get it right. The sad fact is other automakers don't get it either. We've already had discussions about swoopy sedans trying to be pony cars with oversized center consoles taking over passenger room. People are rejecting low slung seating positions and head banging rooflines. Consumers are leaning towards SUVs and crossovers because they want utility.

My big fear is that the new bosses will decide what Chrysler and Dodge need for more sales is some updating, and those updates are all those sportiness styling cliches that have ruined other brands. Consumers in our market are demanding utility. They want comfortable seating, headroom and generous ingress and egress. When I look at the center consoles in the Peugeots I cringe, imagining a badge engineered Chrysler model with that interior. Let the people in Auburn Hills redo the interiors. Use American powertrains. The 9-speed is still problematic, either fix it or find a transaxle that is reliable. I don't trust a no-name Chinese company either. If the solution comes from Aisin, make sure it's something built in North America and not Europe.

I like the DS7 a lot. I think it could sell under the Chrysler brand if it has the right powertrain. The Chinese Grand Commander PHEV uses a version of the Chrysler PHEV transaxle combined with the GME turbo. I don't know where the pieces in the Chinese Jeep are sourced from, but those pieces are also built in the USA. A Chrysler DS7 should use that drivetrain, sourced from America.

13. tomaz

tomaz Well-Known Member

Chrysler = Sedan Based Wagons (Volvo V90), "People Minded" Crossovers, Multi-purpose/People Vehicles (think Mercedes Sprinter for Livery and Minivans). Based on Citroen Models, with DS-like Trim levels. No Sedans, No Hatch backs.

AmbassadorSST and eastcoaster like this.
  14. page2171

page2171 Well-Known Member

I think I could live with that.

tomaz likes this.
  15. superduckie5000

superduckie5000 THE MAD DUCK
    Level III Supporter

A Quote " The 9-speed is still problematic, either fix it or find a transaxle that is reliable. "
    I Disagree ! !
    At 2250 Miles & 5 Months, 10 Days Old It's Done Only 2 Weird Shifts .
    The Jeep Cherokee the Trans Has Been 99.97% Perfect !

wilbur, Ernesto and djsamuel like this.
  16. NWbyNW

NWbyNW Active Member

Chrysler is attainable upmarket luxury to near luxury. It really isn't that complicated.

The current halo is the 300. Time to get a new one, update it. Shock people like how Lincoln started their reboot and shocked critics with the Continental. Make the 300 greater again!

Follow that up with some new (I hate to say this) SUVs and crossovers for Chrysler. A midsize and a large would do. Chrysler can be a step below Lincoln at this point... and maybe someday compete at their level if possible for a lower price point. Allow Chrysler's vehicles to be powerful still. Really focus on nice interiors like they did starting with the Chrysler 200S and 200C. Still some of the most beautiful interiors I've ever seen design wise.

So lets see.

We have a 300 sedan.
    Large SUV.
    Midsize SUV/CUV.
    Pacifica.

That is a good start to mend the brand's image. In the future imagine a nice wagon type vehicle that is sleek and classy. Maybe a reboot of a Chrysler halo car that could be a convertible or touring car like a Crossfire, but done better!

Even just a few new vehicle's can inject this brand with so much life. Then you build from there.

I look at how Gensis did it. Nice new vehicles, but they unfortunately did it a tad wrong focusing on sedan's only (I applaud them for that though...). They really needed and SUV earlier. A halo car to start, great, then follow it up with two SUV vehicles. When the sales start coming in, focus on those core vehicles a bit before you start branching out. Chrysler needs to do this. Quality is key. Interior quality. Perceived luxury and elegance. Make sure these cars last right away. Hopefully work out all those gremlins so these cars get a strong reliability rating from owners and customers... people who matter who will come back and buy another. Screw Consumer Reports and their lying ways. Customers will eventually silence them with their positive feedback. Maybe even spruce up the dealers a bit in the long run...

So yeah... thats the start Chrysler needs for a reboot. I will take my position as head of Chrysler now and many of you as my advisors. And I would happily do this on the cheap... heck, I'd probably do it for free. :)

17. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

I thought that FCA know what to do with all of its brands. Only issue is a free cash flow.

77 Monaco Brougham and ScramFan like this.
  18. valiant67

valiant67 ...

If it didn’t have the money, then it couldn’t handle the brands it had. Proper planning needs to account for scarce resources.

77 Monaco Brougham likes this.
  19. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

DS 7 Crossback has very similar interior room as Audi Q3. Heck, even its price is similar to it.

So. Do you want to pay around $35k for the base version with a 1.6 turbo which is BTW FWD only? I don't think so.

Calls for North American products were made in Auburn Hills. At least from Cherokee/Dart and up. It's all build and engineered in US.

Speaking about Peugeot interiors. Not PSA but Peugeot brand. They are very expensive for its class. Chemical properties are top notch. Of course someone including me may not like their interior styling.

Powertrains? FCA will have interesting low end (American low end) powertrains starting next year. Will they offer it in US?
    I'm talking about 1.5 turbo engine and P2 mild hybrids. Question is about transmission. Which one will they use? Who is supplier?

HotCarNut and ScramFan like this.