AF: Chrysler’s “Identity” | Page 7 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chrysler’s “Identity”

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by 1999 White C5 Coupe, Jan 21, 2020.

1. pug-man

pug-man Well-Known Member

Yes.....what's the point of 1-9?

In my work experience with jD power scores 10 means we met your expectations.
    Anything less is we failed.

Who in the hell hands out 10s left and right?

Met expectations is an 8.
    Blow me away is a 10.

2. Donte Lindsey

Donte Lindsey Active Member

Chrysler has always seemed to be ahead of the game when it came to a lot of things. The execution of the awd and the efficiency could have been better. I hope the new Airflow is for the Chrysler brand so it can have some talk around it other than what it use to be.

Tony K likes this.
  3. aldo90731

Staff Member Level III Supporter

Yeah, that wouldn't surprise me. I only owned one Honda, a 2006 S2000, I wasn't too impressed with the customer experience.

Honda dealers rank below industry average, and have for years.
    [​IMG]

4. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

My feelings as well. Based on our experience at CarMax I'm more apt to purchase from them than the CDJR dealership I have purchased from previously. Besides new vehicle prices have risen well out of our affordability.

djsamuel likes this.
  5. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

Fiat dealers have the most up to date, finest materials of any FCA franchise, and the worst customer ratings, almost as though spending money on aluminum, marble, and glass doesn't bring customer satisfaction.

wvutuba, HotCarNut, Tony K and 4 others like this.
  6. page2171

page2171 Well-Known Member

I have to agree with both of you. We've purchased two vehicles at two different CarMax locations (one in CA, one in GA), and I can't complain about either experience. The experience buying the car that preceded my Ram is the only one that comes close, and that was at a GM dealer that does no haggle pricing.

7. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

To be clear about whether that strike was the union's idea, GM stocked up and had over 100 days worth of cars on hand (up from a healthy 50 or the usual 70-80) when the strike began. I personally think they let the strike go on for months as an inventory adjustment, because they brought nothing to the bargaining table for most of the time, and then suddenly gave in to the main demand all at once. To me it was obviously a way to shut down their factories and blame it on someone else. Ford had no trouble negotiating, so it's not just "FCA bribing the union." The bribery was absolutely wrong and bad, and everyone involved should be behind bars, but it was busted and put into the past before the GM strike.

HotCarNut, Tony K and Mr. Fusion like this.
  8. Powdered Toast Man

Powdered Toast Man Move along, nothing to see here

Ugh, I used to deal with those customer surveys when I worked in the banking industry. Every question had a 1 to 5 scale. Anything but a 5 was considered a zero in terms of how the surveys were weighted by management. These are the kind of metrics that people with MBA's and commerce degrees come up with to measure performance when they do not reflect the real world customer experience in any way whatsoever.

It's human nature not to give a 5/5 or 10/10 rating for anything - even when there was nothing at all wrong with their experience. Think about it. Even if you saw a movie that you liked and it was pretty good, would you be more likely to rate it 5/5 stars or 4/5?

Think about a dining experience. What would a server have to do to get a 10/10 rating from you? If everything was pretty good and even if you had no complaints, would you probably say 9/10 or 10/10 if given a survey of your overall experience? MOST people would say 9/10 just by default. Plus everyone is different. What I'd say was a 9/10 might be a 6/10 for someone else. These surveys are subjective and have no bearing on actual outcomes.

Customer feedback is important but it must be detailed and weighted to the overall experience. You can look at trends in the data to recognize areas for potential improvement. You cannot tie customer feedback to employee compensation and expect it will have any positive effect whatsoever.

9. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

Even though in my position it doesn't always affect me personally, our company is the same. We have a star rating. If the customer gives our people less then 5 stars on customer service, it counts as zero. That's just not right. Most people have to experience some kind of out of this world treatment to give 5 stars. Most would have no trouble with 4 stars, but that counts for nothing.

HotCarNut, tlc and aldo90731 like this.
  10. 1999 White C5 Coupe

1999 White C5 Coupe Well-Known Member

GM “bragged” about stocking-up on new vehicles - but did not increase their inventory of repair and crash parts - which left many GM customers with vehicles that could not be repaired (and some could not be driven).

HotCarNut and aldo90731 like this.
  11. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

GM claimed they did increase their inventories of repair and crash parts, but I don't know if they really did. In any case, an unexpected run on certain parts would leave them kinda flat. I thought it was a foolish, ideology/hate driven strategy from the start. Not unlike their RICO suit, which, while it might be somewhat justified, doesn't exactly make them look good and leaves them essentially suing their own employees. Way to boost morale and increase employee engagement, guys!

I thought very highly of Mary Barra until the strike and lawsuit. Now... not so much. (I wonder how the Hummer's going to go. Looks like it'll have around 700 lb-ft of torque, measured by SAE standards, with that 1100 hp. Price is the big question. Well, and weight, and handling, and comfort, and payload. But seriously, talk about getting on top of the Cybertruck... and then Ford/Lincoln are just rebranding Rivians but they'll still get credit for that.)

HotCarNut likes this.
  12. SRTBrandon

SRTBrandon Well-Known Member

Check out this link to get a better idea of what might be going on with the 1-10 scale:

Net Promoter - Wikipedia (at https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Net_Promoter )

The company I work for does semiannual employee surveys to judge how management is perceived and they apply this formula to help interpret the results.

13. Mr. Fusion

Mr. Fusion Active Member

That's my point as well. 9/10 from me indicates that the business did everything correctly, there were no hitches or frustrations in the purchasing process, and the purchased product or service was flawless upon delivery.

10/10 means all of the above, plus they sent Charlize Theron to my office to give me a back massage, and on the way out she handed me a very large check.

In other words, 10/10 means something happened that went well above and beyond my expectations of the business. Just performing the job you're supposed to do, in the manner you're supposed to do it, does not warrant a 10. But that's fine! A 9 means I'm fully satisfied and will likely do business with you again, given the opportunity.

14. codypet

codypet Well-Known Member

What dealership was this again?

Bajanbuoy, Tony K and Mr. Fusion like this.
  15. Mr. Fusion

Mr. Fusion Active Member

If I ever give out a 10, Allpar will be the first to know.

77 Monaco Brougham and Tony K like this.
  16. CherokeeVision

CherokeeVision Well-Known Member

Not much different than what happened with the 9 speed. Owners waiting weeks for a replacement.

17. aldo90731

This is little different from the snotty server who after a terrible meal still expects a 20% tip.

Thing is, these bonuses start as enticements for delivering extraordinary service. But over time dealers feel entitled to these bonuses as if they were regular income. Things get even more complicated the moment dealers’ regular income falls below subsistence levels, making their’ reliance on bonuses a necessity.

Often the automakers themselves are responsible for dealers’ profitability becoming dependent on bonuses, by gradually reducing dealer margins, constantly changing business expenditures, bonus schemes, etc. But in doing so, OEMs forget to change how they evaluate dealers in order to award their bonuses. All of which leads to the absurdities we discuss above.

There’s a new wave of thinking in the CX industry to de-link customer satisfaction from bonuses altogether, and go back to basics: resolving customers’ issues, effectively and promptly, based on the age-old premise that a happy customer is a profitable customer.

Of course the devil is in the details.

#137 aldo90731, Feb 1, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2020
  18. 1999 White C5 Coupe

1999 White C5 Coupe Well-Known Member

Probably very true - but that type of problem generates nothing but ill will and drives away customers - who also tell their family and friends of the poor service for their new vehicle. Customers that get “burned” or receive miserably poor service never forget it - and tell others.

The repeated failures on the the UltraDrive transmission in a new 1989 Dodge Grand Caravan LE (which replaced a 1984 Dodge Caravan LE) caused me to never buy another Dodge minivan. I don’t remember all of the routine service visits on my family’s Dodge and Jeep vehicles (which were done correctly and were uneventful) - but I sure will never forget the UltraDrive fiasco.

19. Powdered Toast Man

Powdered Toast Man Move along, nothing to see here

Absolutely agree. What is the point of giving the customer a rating scale when it's essentially looked at in a binary way? Why not just give the customer a Yes/No series of questions instead?

Instead of:
    "On a scale of 1 to 10, how would you rate the outcome of your experience with the dealership today?"

Change it to:
    "Did your experience with the dealership today meet all of your expectations? Yes/No"

page2171, HotCarNut, Doug D and 3 others like this.
  20. jglen490

jglen490 Well-Known Member

JD Power rankings are a joke. They have so many categories, that anybody could win an award in almost anything. You'd have to really screw up to NOT get a "best in ..." something.

Quite frankly, I'm growing weary of FCA products. While I love my 2015 T&C, it was long in the tooth when we bought it new. A Jeep is Jeep, regardless of model. Ram ... blah. And the beat goes on. Nothing truly new in a very long time; the entire lineup has been due for renewal/regeneration for years.

Wife and I have been talking about getting a new vehicle. We've had Chrysler (and successor) products since 1992, and really there has been nothing new to get excited about for probably a decade. Oh, some of the vehicles in the lineup look pretty - but that's it. Too many years of promised new vehicles, and nothing has come of it. We will be looking at something else over the next month or so.