AF: Chrysler’s “Identity” | Page 8 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chrysler’s “Identity”

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by 1999 White C5 Coupe, Jan 21, 2020.

1. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

It is true that JD Power has devalued its brand by issuing rankings about everything under the sun.

However, its studies are NOT a joke. Automakers consider JD Power’s IQS (Initial Quality) and VDS (Vehicle Dependability) with their PP100 methodology as the industry standards. In fact, Hyundai HQ hired JD Power in the late 1990s to help improve its poor quality, which they have by all accounts. The impact that product quality has on generating consumer demand and customer retention is statistically proven and well documented. With less direct impact, CSI (Customer Service Index) also provides a measure of customer retention.

The impact on the business of other JD Power studies, like APEAL (Automotive Performance, Execution and Layout), and SSI (Sales Satisfaction) is less clear. But I wouldn’t throw out the baby with the bath water by stating that all its studies are a joke.

2. jglen490

jglen490 Well-Known Member

O.K., that's a fair difference. Their methods may be useful at a corporate level to discover and improve production quality and perhaps even consumer appreciation. However, in my opinion,manufacturers building a dependence on a doubtful difference between the appearance of both manufacturer A and manufacturer B claiming the same sounding award, and trying to make it seem different, is spin mastery at its finest. And that is the joke; not the hard work that companies do to improve, but rather the marketing ploy of a product (an award) to make it sound more unique than it is.

As always, "caveat emptor".

3. Ernesto

Ernesto Active Member

I drove a 2015 200 Limited for 26,000 miles. It performed flawlessly. Now my wife's 2017 Renegade with the 2.4, 9 spd for 20,000 miles. So far it has performed flawlessly. I've never heard from J. D Powers or Consumer Reports. Both new purchases.

4. valiant67

valiant67 ...

I received a JD Power survey for my 2018 Renegade. Fortunately for FCA, it was a survey on the research, shopping, and financing (I won't guarantee the survey covered financing but I think it did) rather than vehicle quality. The electronics and 9 speed transmission were sore points with my Renegade. I have never had a new vehicle spend as much time in the shop as that Renegade. Fortunately, this dealer has a nice service loaner program and I didn't have to spend all the time the Renegade was in the shop in a Grand Caravan from whatever rental company FCA uses. Instead I got "new" leftover 2018 models (a Wrangler Sport Unlimited 2.0T and a Grand Cherokee Summit Ecodiesel).

Ernesto likes this.
  5. Tin Man 2

Tin Man 2 Active Member

I received a survey for our 19 Compass, it was a high tech computer survey instead of the fill out and mail in survey. I tossed it out. I would guess I,m not the only old guy who did this, thus the results are tilted to the tech orientated younger folks. Helping feed the fantasy that everyone likes the high tech crap on new cars that causes most of the warranty problems.

6. 1999 White C5 Coupe

1999 White C5 Coupe Well-Known Member

You said that you received a “high tech computer survey”. Is that different than a survey sent via email to you (or a survey link sent via your email)? Why didn’t you fill it out? Would you have completed a paper survey that was mailed to you?

Tony K likes this.
  7. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Every survey I've ever received was an online survey except a Nielsen radio audience survey back in 2001. Now they are even online.

Tony K likes this.
  8. Ernesto

Ernesto Active Member

I forgot to mention. Consumer Reports sent a "high tech computer" survey on my 2015 200 Limited on line. I filled it out.

9. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

Hey “high tech computer survey”....get off my virtual lawn!

:p:p

10. Mr. Fusion

Mr. Fusion Active Member

I think I have received a grand total of one JD Power survey during my lifetime of car ownership. It was so long ago that I can't even remember which car it was, but it was probably a Saturn.

Since then, I have reliably gotten a survey from Maritz CX for every car I have purchased, both FCA and otherwise. I've never once seen Maritz quoted in any publicity, so I assume their data is used solely for internal purposes.

Tony K likes this.
  11. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

Correct. Automakers commission Maritz to survey their customers as a means to check on their dealer and product experiences. Because they are privately commissioned, results do not become public*.

On the other hand, JD Power contacts vehicle owners out of its pocket to collect cross-industry data, and then sell market-wide information to automakers. JD Power is not the only one to this, however, it is one of the few to insist in making the results public. The publicity forces automakers to participate in the study and buy the information; no one likes to be dead last —well, with the exception of FCA, apparently.

Full disclosure: I worked at both JD Power and Maritz...years ago.

12. Mr. Fusion

Mr. Fusion Active Member

Thanks for the background info. I can also confirm that the Maritz surveys are often very long, and they drill-down into minutiae like, say, how well the doors open & shut. It is an annoying time-suck for someone like me who completes surveys out of a feeling of civic duty (lol), but I can see how those little details can be important for a manufacturer who intends to act on that data.

13. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

Yes. But more than that, the Maritz questionnaires kept asking questions that were completely irrelevant. For instance, the Fiat Spider survey wanted to know how comfortable the rear seats were, how the rear doors opened and shut; the JL survey wanted to know about 3-row seating comfort, 3rd row ease of ingress/egress, sunroof operation... Both the JK and Spider surveys didn't even give me option to select 2018 model year; they hadn't been updated beyond 2017!!!

Like I said, these issues reflect more on FCA than on Maritz.

14. Bajanbuoy

Bajanbuoy Durango Dave!
    Level 2 Supporter

Still waiting on my JD Power Survey for my Durango purchased NOV 2017........ Stiiiiiiiiilll waiting. :)

Ernesto likes this.
  15. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

If I recall correctly, JD Power aims to collect 400 to 300 surveys per model. They mail out about ten times the number of surveys they expect to receive, so about 4,000 surveys.

If you think of the tens of thousands of Durangos sold in a given year, you can calculate your probabilities of getting one of their surveys :)

Ernesto likes this.
  16. Bajanbuoy

Bajanbuoy Durango Dave!
    Level 2 Supporter

"So you're saying there's a chance"....hahahahahaahaaaha.

aldo90731, tlc and Mr. Fusion like this.
  17. Tin Man 2

Tin Man 2 Active Member

If FCA was serious about quality they would include a survey with every vehicle with a prepaid envelope to mail it in after a set amount of time. Upon receipt they could run it through a reader and tabulate the results. Very little effort to get feedback without the feedback being filtered or made public. The whole process would cost less then a Super Bowl add.

18. page2171

page2171 Well-Known Member

I don't think a lack of data is the issue. FCA has access to all kinds of data. They just need to find a desire to do something with it.

19. Bajanbuoy

Bajanbuoy Durango Dave!
    Level 2 Supporter

Absolutely... It is not a secret that the crutch of Chrysler/Dodge has by and large been it's service departments... But that comes straight from the top. I truly do not believe there is a difference in dependability/reliability between Mopar and the ever-heralded Japanese or European makes anymore... The difference is that most of those other Makes don't treat you like you intentionally broke the vehicle or are a scam-artist to avoid warranty work.

I had to call the District Rep of a Dealer who attempted to make me pay for a defective shock that was covered under the 3y/36k because my vehicle surpassed the mileage in the two months... yes folks, two months, that it took the part to come in from back-order. That is the kind of experience that leaves a lasting impression on the minds and wallets of customers.

20. codypet

codypet Well-Known Member

So it was under warranty and ordered and approved, but they tried to deny you because you passed 36,000 miles in between the two months it took from ordering a shock and delivering the shock!?