AF: Chrysler’s “Identity” | Page 9 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chrysler’s “Identity”

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by 1999 White C5 Coupe, Jan 21, 2020.

1. gforce2002

gforce2002 Well-Known Member

That is similar to the issue that I had with my ‘13 Patriot, where a front suspension noise that had been going on for several months while they tried to find out the problem was not going to be covered after it passed the 60K km mark, even though the problem was demonstrated and documented at about 56K kms. And that was coming from FCA, not the dealer.

2. Bajanbuoy

Bajanbuoy Durango Dave!
    Level 2 Supporter

Exactly... They called me when the part came in to schedule the install. When they called to tell me it was ready, they told me how much it was going to be, and I politely asked to speak to the manager. The manager told me that the car was not under warranty. I had them pull the service notes to see that the vehicle was diagnosed and part ordered under warranty. The service manager said she'd make some calls to see what they could do. I called the District Rep and left a message... A few minutes later they called and said it was taken care of.

dodgeismycar likes this.
  3. jsucha

jsucha Well-Known Member

I have to wonder how serious FCA really is about quality. The thread below isn't even a supplier issue, it is a production problem that has been going on since the new Rams were introduced. There are many threads about this issue in the Ram forums. There is even a TSB published about a fix, yet the OP of thread has a '20 Ram Night Edition and it was made with the leaks at the firewall/cowl problem. Seems like the process on the line has not been fixed.
    Water on Driver side floor (at https://www.ramforum.com/threads/water-on-driver-side-floor.155428/ )

This one is a supplier issue. A thread over 20 pages long about cracked and leaking rear slider windows.
    Rear window surround crack. | 5th Gen General Discussion (at https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/rear-window-surround-crack.8961/ )

The new Rams also have the leaking 3rd brake light issue, just like the DS did.
    The new DT's interiors might be nice, but what good is a nice interior if it turns into a swamp. I'll be hanging onto my '16 Ram as long as possible. Runs great and none of the issues plaguing the DT's.
    My '19 Charger has been fantastic. Other than an adjustment to a misaligned hood, it has been flawless..

4. danbek

danbek Well-Known Member

There are other manufacturers that have the same stupid system. If the repair order date and mileage shows the vehicle out of warranty, it will reject as an out of warranty claim. Two options, backdate or show mileage still within warranty (which is fraud) or let the customer know this has become an out of warranty claim but because is started prior, assistance will be sought to take care as a Goodwill claim. A good service department knows this at the time of write up and should volunteer and take care of this without even being asked.....

5. wtxiceman

wtxiceman Well-Known Member

There are lots of them with the cracking window frame.

6. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

About as serious as Daimler was.

My '06 Ram 1500 has had issues - all of which occurred after the warranty expired.

1) HVAC door failures. The '02-'08 Rams are notorious for the HVAC blend doors failing - specifically the plastic pins crack and the door no longer functions. On mine the mode 2 door (controls floor/defrost) failed at 50K miles. If you set it to the floor it would default to defrost. Lived with it until the mode 1 door failed (defrost/dash) a couple of years ago. Somewhere along the line the recirc door literally fell off and on to the fan. Had to remove the fan to remove the fallen door. Local shop charged me $2200 to replace the entire HVAC assembly including a newly designed AC condenser and new heater core. Damiler never issued a recall.

2) Differential - at 45K the pinion seal leaked. $300 repair. 15K miles later the pinion bearings needed replacement. I suspect the pinion nut was not properly torqued. At 250K miles the seal started leaking again.

3) Lazy tachometer. A while back I noticed the tachometer had a mind of its own. It would show 200-300 rpm at idle (should be 500-600 rpm) and sometimes shows 400 rpm less than what it should be at speed. At 55 mph it should read about 1500-1600 rpm. At times it drops to 1100 rpm. Dodge's fix is to replace the entire gauge cluster ($400), but the cluster is no longer available so the alternative is to re-tin the connections on the circuit board. I've read of others have similar or worse issues.

It didn't happen to mine but I ran into another '06 owner who had a leaky 3rd brake light. Mine has never leaked (fortunately).

Otherwise it has help up well for 268K miles and 14 years. Everything else has been what I consider maintenance.

7. jsucha

jsucha Well-Known Member

8. jsucha

jsucha Well-Known Member

How about a lot of them have squealing brakes that have had pads and rotors replaced 2 and 3 times and still have the squeal. 12" screens going black, a lot of dead batteries caused by unknown parasitic electrical drains. The power retracting side steps have caused dead batteries also. Then there are the front end snaps and pops over bumps and the steering not wanting to return to center when making a sweeping left turn. The racks are being replaced for the not returning to center problem. In short these trucks have a lot of problems that need to be addressed. Seems TSB's come out and fixes aren't applied to the trucks being built on the line. After 2 years of production these kinds of things shouldn't be happening. It is like a lets push them out and hope for the best.There have been a lot of lemon law buy backs on these trucks also.

Adventurer55 and wtxiceman like this.
  9. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

Sorry to hear.

However, quality problems under FCA are happening while the vehicles are under warranty.

I rarely keep my vehicles past the warranty period, but I experienced very few problems in the 46,000 miles I kept my 1998 Chrysler Sebring —a malfunctioning fuel gauge, that was it. My 2001 Grand Cherokee, 2006 and 2007 Chrysler 300 SRT had zero problems in three years. My 2006 Magnum SRT had what turned out to be a malfunctioning thermostat —which the dealer was incapable of diagnosing properly.

My 2009 Rubicon had a failed rear locker, replaced under warranty.

My 2012 Chrysler 300S was bought back after being in the dealership twelve times in the first three weeks of ownership. Got a 2012 Challenger SRT instead; no issues thankfully.

My 2013 Rubicon had a cruise control with a glitch that’d self-disconnect; it needed a new steering tie rod and drag link at 13,000 miles, a new battery at 15,000 miles, it went through three head units in 30,000 miles, and the TIPM started faltering at 34,000 miles. Sold it.

No issues with my 2014 and 2015 JKU Saharas.

During the 3-and-a-half years my brother owned a 2015 Renegade, the Jeep was in the shop two dozen times for miscellaneous assembly, electrical and transmission problems. The transmission finally died the day the warranty expired. They dumped that POS.

My 2016 Challenger Scat Pack spent the first two weeks in the shop chasing miscellaneous squeaks, rattles and buzzes. After a few weeks they all would come back. The dealer repeated the process, but the noises would return. Sold it in frustration.

My 2018 Rubicon Recon came with a squeaky driver seat, misaligned hood, and a loud clank on the A-pillar. The dealer refused to touch it because it had a Mopar lift and 35” tires. Traded it for a Tacoma.

My 2018 Fiat 124 Spider had the water pump replaced twice in the first 4,000 miles. Hasn’t given me an issues since, but still can’t stream music through the head unit.

My 2018 JLU Sahara has 3,300 miles so far and no issues —knock on wood.

To me the pattern is clear.

#169 aldo90731, Feb 16, 2020 at 10:02 PM
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2020 at 10:27 PM
    XRT2SRT and Tony K like this.
  10. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

The blend door issue goes back to the 2nd gen trucks, along with the dash tops cracking into pieces.

11. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

My neighbor has one of those trucks. The top of the dash is completely gone. As far as I know he never had a problem with the doors failing.

12. Clark

Clark New Member

13. tomaz

tomaz Well-Known Member

Fiat Improved, Jeep Beat GMC and all of Jeep models are Unique to Jeep, unlike GMC.

14. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

GM the surprise winner in J.D. Power long-term surveys

Fiat may have improved but it's still lousy. Jeep beat GMC but all other GM divisions beat all Chrysler divisions. Jeep Grand Cherokee is shared with Dodge Durango and Jeep Renegade is shared with Fiat 500X. It's not as clear a sharing as with GMC vs Chevrolet. My guess is there's some premium option on the GMCs that is failing which is why the Chevrolets do so well in quality while the GMCs suffer; if so, GM can fix that and be fine next year. (Assuming they fixed it two years ago.)

I miss WhatCar? which did a comprehensive look at what actually failed, so you could see - is this a UConnect issue or what? (The early Cirrus had a 100% failure rate on one part; once that was replaced by the factory, the cars leaped up in reliability. WhatCar? could tell you “these cars had a bad muffler, and then the factory replaced it in June, so if you get one made after June you're OK.”)

J.D. Power has that info but only for service buyers.

Consumer Reports has that info but, IMHO, only reports it when it serves their narrative.

15. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

Buick has a long tradition for ranking in the top 5 of the long-term dependability studies. Yet, I’d bet hardly anyone knows.

page2171 likes this.
  16. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

Actually, I think it's the vacuum motor that controls the door, but something is going on with mine now. When you turn it to recirculation a/c I get a loud hum, like something either isn't shut or air is blowing through it. It needs a new evaporator so it'll get looked at then. My dash is original, but I've never used any chemicals on it and I've always kept a windshield cover on it when it is outside.

17. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

We notice. Aside from being ridiculously underpowered, our Encore has been a really good vehicle, essentially flawless. If we could get what we want without leather seats, an Enclave would be in the running for our family hauler. Alas, that isn’t the case.

18. Ryan

Staff Member Level III Supporter

How do you feel about the Traverse?

19. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

My SIL has an older one...2015(?) maybe...it’s ok. Drives like a bus, but it’s got tons of room inside. I’m not a big fan of the styling from that time period, although the current styling isn’t too bad, She loves it, and my niece has one too...a 2017 I think...and she loves it too. She and her husband had one before, but it got totaled, and he walked away without a scratch even though it rolled over too. Pretty safe vehicle.

One of the parents at our kids’ school has a newer one with the blackout package and it looks pretty good.

We’ll take a look when the time comes, there are a bunch on our shopping list currently. Though if the 3-row GC comes out by the time we’re ready, then all bets are off. Lol.

We want to pay off the Audi first, so we’ll see after we do our taxes if we can get that done. Then time to save for a few months before we start shopping. We don’t want 2 car payments unless it’s absolutely necessary. My SIL got rooked on the Audi purchase, so it’s more expensive than it needed to be...it’s a long story.

Ryan likes this.
  20. Ryan

Staff Member Level III Supporter

It’s about to be refreshed with Blazer styling on the front and rear. They aren’t bad vehicles. The newer models look a lot more truck like inside and out. I wasn’t a fan at all of the bland jellybean design of the original. I only suggested it because you can get an LT with cloth and a decent set of safety features and under the skin, it’s basically an Enclave.

Zagnut27 likes this.