AF: Chrysler 300 Hemi C Convertible | Page 2 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chrysler 300 Hemi C Convertible

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by 55Plaza, Jun 9, 2014.

1. jimboy

jimboy Well-Known Member

That is amazing work, and I've never heard of this guy! What is also amazing is that the Nassau concept was executed so faithfully. Wish they could have done the same for the 200C concept.

MoparNorm likes this.
  2. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Supporter

You can thank Ralph Gilles for executing Hubbach's original design so well. He was coming off designing the interior of the 2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10 when he was promoted to design director of the LX cars. He has been quoted several times that he gets too much credit for the 300s design and he was just trying to bring Hubbach design to production.

[​IMG]

3. longlivechrysler

longlivechrysler The Negative Optimist

I was just thinking about that original sketch and that it'd be nice if the next 300 were as lean (or low and wide) as it was originally sketched.

4. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Supporter

[​IMG]

I still think there is a could case for a convertible like the one above!

jimboy, VoiceOfReason and 55Plaza like this.
  5. Moparian

Moparian Well-Known Member

ewww. maybe with a retractable hard top.

Detonator Yellow and UN4GTBL like this.
  6. jimboy

jimboy Well-Known Member

The LX/LY/LA is LOOONG overdue for a convertible, and right now I'd take a 300/Charger/Challenger vert over any other vehicle. It's time! ( and I really, really DON'T want to hear a word about 'No market/regulation/cost from the negative nelly's on here!) You don't win by playing it safe, you win by being a market leader!

VoiceOfReason likes this.
  7. bikeluver43

bikeluver43 Well-Known Member

That is such a beautiful car, and while the interior wreaks of Mercedes it is still appealing even by today's standards. Who knows, maybe Daimler saw this as another car that would be too competitive with them and ended it?

I agree, the market for convertibles may be dwindling but Chrysler had the larger convertible market cornered for a long time with the Sebring. Now that they've improved interiors and quality so much I think they definitely should look back into another convertible again.

8. TheMan

TheMan What color are the clouds in your world?
    Level III Supporter

LALALALALALA...

and you damn sure don't win by wasting limited development funds. Plugging your ears to the truth of the matter just leads to another bankruptcy.

redriderbob likes this.
  9. jimboy

jimboy Well-Known Member

and thats a song we've heard before! What about the funds put into the 6.4, whats the ROI on that? or on Alfa, or on EV'S? Sometimes you have to take a calculated risk, Bob, and this is one of those times. Chrysler is one of the few majors that doesn't offer any sort of convertible, and they have had nearly a decade already to spread out those development costs. There are arguments for and against convertibles, but your LALALA, aint no different than mine!

10. Stratuscaster

Stratuscaster Vaguely badass...
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

Under Chrysler Group LLC, we have TWO convertibles.

Fiat 500 Cabrio and Jeep Wrangler.

11. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Supporter

Heck it was ten years ago Chrysler was advertising themselves as "America's Convertible Company" with the Sebring Convertible, PT Cruiser Convertible and Crossfire Roadster.

12. TheMan

TheMan What color are the clouds in your world?
    Level III Supporter

LOL....yeah right. There is a big difference. I do this job and have for years.

You dont.

When you have experience even close to mine, you will have earned credibility. Until that point, you dont.

13. Moparian

Moparian Well-Known Member

Convertible sales are down massively across all manufacturers...... Why even take that risk for a niche that consumers aren't buying?

14. 55Plaza

55Plaza Well-Known Member

We could get a Dodge version of an Alfa Spider convertible on the new D-RWD, if it goes ahead. Didn’t Sergio say that without Dodge to spread engineering costs, there could be no Alfa in a category? B)

Yeah redriderbob... I remember seeing this one before, didn't recall it being called Nassau
    [​IMG]

Real nice design, that sculpted front end would give those ATS boys a look before it shot past. B)

15. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

6.4 was used in SRT mode in four different cars, one of which was a runaway success. And the basic setup was used in trucks where it's pretty much cost of doing business.

Alfa, you already know. IF they can get it working, it will be a money machine because many of the engineering costs will be shared with Maserati and Chrysler and possibly Ferrari.

On EVs, it's partly "cost of doing business in California," partly an requirement for the future (if battery technology improves as predicted, anyone without a patent portfolio will be at a real disadvantage), and AFAIK mostly being done with grants.

16. XRT2SRT

XRT2SRT Well-Known Member

17. XRT2SRT

XRT2SRT Well-Known Member

As much as I'd love to see a new convertible in the Chrysler stable I do believe it will payoff even bigger in the long run to be patient right now. The market needs to ramp up a bit more first. Do the design studies in the meantime and when the time is right, blow their socks off!

18. eaglecars

eaglecars Well-Known Member

I know that were it not for the fact that I don't post as often as I used to, I'd sound like a broken record, but...I feel like Chrysler's been cutting back bodystyles and vehicle types with every new generation of vehicles and while that may just be cost-cutting, it feels too much like decline to me. I'm not going to argue directly with Bob here...Chrysler's moves seem very practical. However, I just can't help but wonder if convertible sales have really dropped to the point where dumping a segment they seemed to do well in makes that much business sense? Have minivan sales dropped to the point where we are going to axe one of the most successful nameplates in the segment? With Dodge going after younger and performance-minded buyers, is there really no hope for an affordable, cheap-but-fun coupe starting at $19 or $20K especially when such a vehicle would face almost no direct competition in the USA? Then again, I suppose the cost to develop and certify even a variant of an existing model is ridiculously high these days. Then again, how does MINI manage to put out so many oddball variants of the Cooper? :D

Heck, I'm a lost sale because I needed a new car at a time when Mopar's only small car was the about-to-be-replaced Caliber. I guess I'm still a little bitter about that. (Left fully to my own devices I would have purchased a used Mopar 2-door, but since I "had" to get a new car I went with a Mazda3. I enjoy the car but still wish I had a low-slung coupe, even if the darn thing takes 8 or 9 seconds to reach 60mph.)

19. UN4GTBL

UN4GTBL Allpar Legacy

Good call on skipping the Caliber lol

20. VoiceOfReason

VoiceOfReason Active Member

Dave Z, Jun 21, 2014
    Five years later, EVs are still in the 3.x% range of new car sales. I was looking for information on convertibles and stumbled across this gem.
    I saw a convertible Camaro yesterday and it reminded me of my fondness for my '88 convertible (not a Camaro). I love convertibles. I hope, that when the trade spats are over and the head winds to the economy have been removed that we see a resurgence of convertibles. I realize the business case for them is weak, but I would like to see more options there. I guess there's always Maserati?

ScramFan and jimboy like this.