Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chrysler 300/Lincoln Continental

Discussion in 'Rumors and Speculation' started by geraldg, Sep 15, 2017.

1. rapidtrans

rapidtrans Well-Known Member

I'd be all over that Alfa sport sedan except I don't have a lot of confidence in the Alfa or Fiat products. I certainly would not want to drive one across the country. Too many quality issues and too few dealers.

2. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

3. DarkSky

DarkSky Moderator
    Level III Supporter

Despite the questionable quality I keep getting drawn to the Giulia. Even the base engine seems plenty powerful and I love the design, inside and out.

Is the Giulia due to be refreshed in 2020?

4. jimboy

jimboy Well-Known Member

I have yet to see an actual Guilia, but it is stunning in photo's. Can't wait to see the real thing in a year or two!

5. BASONE88

Supporter

Look at SRT.

aldo90731 likes this.
  6. BASONE88

Supporter

Between the SRT line, Giulia, and Stelvio..FCA has taken sales from all of them. Lincoln and Cadillac wish they could compete.

7. rapidtrans

I really don't think a 300 was anywhere in the minds of GM and Ford when it comes to their luxury brands.
    SRT is kind of a brute in comparison.

DarkSky likes this.
  8. BASONE88

Supporter

I agree GM and Ford weren't thinking of 300. Indeed, that was to their detriment(it affected them starting in '06).

Today, with the availability of the current features(incl. a 300hp V6, in the 300S and 363hp V8 w/F.S.T. in the 300C) and (proper) RWD/AWD - they are tough to beat.

I also agree, when the SRT 300 was a thing, it was a brute. And with the 300C, perhaps, there could be an argument made - to that end. But they are(esp. SRT), likewise, pure luxury.

SRT vehicles have always been premium(best of it all). That made it especially hard for them to stand alone. But, regardless, when you get an SRT branded vehicle - it is premium. Ford and GM haven't quite answered this. They come up short.

Then you have Alfa Romeo. Regardless of what is being said about quality, they are no joke. A.R. is bringing (to a domestic) a "BMW-type" vehicle to market - THAT IS HUGE. GM has been trying to do this with Cadillac for a few years(and has come pretty close). But Alfa has more than hit-the-nail-on-head, leaving GM in the lurch - again!

9. TripleT

Level III Supporter

Isn't it there like a 1000 day supply of Continentals, I don't think anyone at FCA is looking at that model with jealousy .

Mopar Jerry and Ian like this.
  10. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

I agree. And that is okay: it is perfectly in character.

Chrysler has trained Americans to view 300 as a brute-in-a-suit "since" 1955. It doesn't need to pretend to be anything else.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#30 aldo90731, Sep 27, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
    jimboy, Hemidakota, JA Cumbo and 4 others like this.
  11. Ian

Ian Car Freak

I have driven, sat in and inspected a Continental...and I would buy a 300S or 300C hands down before that car.

JA Cumbo, aldo90731 and BASONE88 like this.
  12. Intrepidatious

Level 2 Supporter

The Explorer / Flex / (US) Taurus are D3. The new Continental is CD4, which underpins the Fusion / Edge / MKZ, MKX, etc.... The CD4 also underpins the Chinese Taurus, which is a totally different car than the current US version.

13. Hemidakota

Hemidakota Active Member

Yes but drive the Mercedes S550 or the CLS 550. This is a level that Chrysler 300 should have been.

ClayBelt40's likes this.
  14. Hemidakota

Hemidakota Active Member

Their patent points back to Chrysler. So in essence, you are correct.

AdminDave likes this.
  15. rapidtrans

Even better!
    Key word "should".
    I would settle for the ride and handling charateristics of the Caddies and Continental.
    I'm in my 3rd LX car. Each one has a little sideways hop in the rear end at every exp. jt. to go with the harsh ride.
    Don't think that's a Firestone tire issue.
    There is more to a Luxury ride than just trim imo.

16. Hemidakota

Hemidakota Active Member

My fifth Chrysler built vehicle...

Nothing to do with the OEM tires, it is the design of the suspension. I noticed this when on a specific road going home this happens. the best tires for the 300 are either Yokohama or Michelin all seasonal tires. Yokos are great for cornering since their sidewalls are thicker and can support this car height and weight.

Nothing to do with trim...it is about quality, fit and finish, and technology advancing itself on every gen model. However, lessons can be learned if Chrysler (FCA) design studio took the Rolls, Bentley, Audi A8, and Mercedes S class vehicles for study and application. But...little too late since the 300 will soon (2020) see its AXE.

17. Hemidakota

Hemidakota Active Member

Would be a great car if it was not for Italian quality issues. Majority owners are already seen the dealer service bay at least once.

18. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

The Bankers Hot Rod

ClayBelt40's likes this.
  19. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

The Bankers Hot Rod

20. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

Well, it's not like Lincoln hired the stylist away from Chrysler resulting in similar designs (and the reverse did happen in the 1960s).

GasAxe and aldo90731 like this.