Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chrysler 8.25" Axle rebuild.

Discussion in 'Cherokee, Liberty, Nitro' started by poorboy_616, Jun 26, 2015.

1. poorboy_616

poorboy_616 Mr. Fixit
    Level 2 Supporter

Next week, I will be opening the other can of worms on the rear of the XJ.

Symptoms:
    Growl/Grind noise between 30-40MPH on Decel. Same noise on neutral (Speed holding) loading. :eek:

FSM (Factory Service Manual) points towards the Pinion Bearing on the driveshaft side of the pinion gear as a failure.

So, look forward to another fact filled, photo stuffed article from me in the near future. :D

2. CherokeeVision

CherokeeVision Well-Known Member

I have the infamous D35 on my 2001 XJ Limited.
    I believe it is the pinion bearing that is going out on mine. Getting really bad.
    Instead of throwing any money into fixing a D35 I'll probably just do a salvage yard swap.

I considered trying to replace it with a 8.25 but have not been able to find anything that positively answers the question if I need to change drive shafts too.

3. poorboy_616

poorboy_616 Mr. Fixit
    Level 2 Supporter

No need to change shafts. Direct bolt in.

4. CherokeeVision

CherokeeVision Well-Known Member

Can you point me toward anything that has been published stating that?

poorboy_616 likes this.
  5. poorboy_616

poorboy_616 Mr. Fixit
    Level 2 Supporter

Typo!

The 8.25 axle assembly bolts right in. Not the shafts. Whoops!

6. poorboy_616

poorboy_616 Mr. Fixit
    Level 2 Supporter

Well...... I finally decided since I can't turn the radio up and drown out the rear end noise anymore that I would open the can of worms.....

Well, in reality, I lost ALL rear braking, so what started as a brake service and exploratory surgery turned into an axle service.

The passenger side rear brake wasn't working, at all. Frozen Wheel cylinder and Self adjuster screw.

[​IMG]

The Driver side linings are cooked with a capital "C". I also discovered the Driver side axle bearing had a TON of play. "Rumble Rumble!!" Not long before the seal let go.
    [​IMG]

Off came the cover, out with the lock bolt, cross pin, and "C" clips.
    [​IMG]

Ruh Roh Raggy!!! Spilled 90w blood! It gave me the shaft!!
    [​IMG]

I win this round.
    [​IMG]

Hmmmm.... got a little warm maybe?
    [​IMG]

I'll get it all back together this week. We shall see if that gets rid of the heavy vibration. So far the R&P look great, the shafts look fine, but I will mic them out to verify they are OK.

It'll be nice to have her back on the road again. While I have enjoyed driving the Prius, I miss my Red Wagon!

#6 poorboy_616, Feb 14, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2016
  7. floridaman2013

floridaman2013 Active Member

Maybe use a higher grade of rear end lube or modifier and install a finned diff cover to help cool off the fluid.

poorboy_616 likes this.
  8. poorboy_616

poorboy_616 Mr. Fixit
    Level 2 Supporter

That's the plan, well fluid wise. The finned cover will have to wait. I have yet to get it back together. Life and work took hold once again. :(

9. poorboy_616

poorboy_616 Mr. Fixit
    Level 2 Supporter

I've been fighting the Virus from hell the last couple weeks, so I haven't had much energy or strength, but I did get the cover cleaned up and the bolts dressed yesterday.

The PO must have stock in Orange Silicone, because there was the equivalent to a full tube used on the cover flange. Wrong stuff to use in this application. It's took a couple of wire wheels to abrade all that goop off of the cover. I also spent about an hour with the parts washer and wire brushes cleaning all the Schmoo from the lower half under the plug. WHY OH WHY DID CHRYSLER USE A RUBBER PLUG!!! Leaky turds. Bought a new one too.

[​IMG]

Also, this little guy is ever so slightly not straight... Luckily replacements are dirt cheap.
    [​IMG]

I have all the required parts and pieces except for the cover bolts, I'll pick those up in a day or two.

10. poorboy_616

poorboy_616 Mr. Fixit
    Level 2 Supporter

After a month. she's rolling again!

My spider gears decided to abandon ship while putting the shafts back in, but it all worked out in the end!

I have an unintentional detail. I like it!
    [​IMG]

Now, those of you who are intimately familiar with Drum Brakes.... Can you spot my error? It's been remedied. :)
    [​IMG]

The noise I swore was Pinion bearings... Wasn't! New wheel bearings FTW!!! Granted, the old ones were blue!

Sorry for all the broken photo links. Any of the photos in this post should bring you the archive of repairs.

ImperialCrown likes this.