AF: Chrysler Customer First Award -- still around???? | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chrysler Customer First Award -- still around????

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by AllanC, Jun 14, 2020.

1. AllanC

AllanC Well-Known Member

In year 2016 Chrysler instituted the Chrysler Customer First Award program to challenge and give recognition to dealerships for 5 specific facets of their operation. I can find listings for those dealerships that received the award in years 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019. But I have not found any notice of dealerships receiving the award in year 2020. Is the program still in existence?

With approximately 2500 dealerships I would think not all have been surveyed and been awarded? Or maybe all the "few good dealerships" have been recognized and the remaining are not eligible or will not seek this award???

2. aldo90731

Staff Member Level III Supporter

In what part of the year are the awards given?

It should be renamed the Customer Last Award program...

gforce2002 likes this.
  3. Milkman123

Milkman123 Active Member

Didn't think any Chrysler dealerships were capable of treating customers well.

aldo90731 likes this.
  4. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

This is basically a Mopar oriented site, and if comments about dealers are like this here, what do you think people outside of here think of Chrysler dealers?

wolfsblood07, DC-93 and rmtodd like this.
  5. Milkman123

Milkman123 Active Member

People keep buying off them so who should we really be laughing at?

6. Adventurer55

Ourselves of course. But people like myself, the dedication runs deep. I wish their dealers were as dedicated. Jokes aside, there are some that are.

aldo90731 likes this.
  7. Milkman123

Milkman123 Active Member

I've luckily never had to go througu the expereince. Brother in law is in car sales, I've always paid invoice +$500. Couldn't imagine going through the ordeal being seen as nothing but walking profit.

The current FCA products steered me away, I feel really bad for anyone who has to anonymously go through the stealership experience as a stranger.

8. valiant67

valiant67 ...

If you look for an adversarial relationship (stealership) then you'll likely find one.

KrisW likes this.
  9. Adventurer55

I've been fortunate over the years to have had decent relationships with the dealers I've dealt with. I live in SE Tennessee now near Cleveland/Chattanooga metro area. I'm not impressed with the FCA dealer in this area. Always seemed like I was bothering them because of a recall. I'm going to visit Lenoir City, which is a burb of Knoxville when we go shopping. The dealer there, is/was on that coveted list.

10. aldo90731

Don’t even get me started with FCA dealers.

I was able to find a good CDJR in Southern California. I had 25 dealers to choose from within a 50 mile radius; after several attempts I finally found a very good one, in Long Beach, and stuck with it for 10+ years.

But I had to start from scratch when I relocated to Washington. My local dealer, 1.5 miles from my house, treated me well at first when I took my 2015 JKU and 2016 Challenger for oil changes, warranty work and recalls. But they went through service advisors like toilet paper. The last Service Advisor I dealt with there was useless; he was afraid of the Service Manager. The Service Manager is this unshaven, grumpy middle-aged man with a gruff voice, always dressed in these filthy greased coveralls, as if he were playing a part in a sitcom. When I showed up with my 2018 JKU Recon things started going south. To the point that I got into a verbal confrontation, which is rare for me, basically because he was arguing right there, in the vehicle drop-off area, that the Mopar 2” lift and factory steel bumpers weren’t “factory”, and so refused to do warranty work on a squeaky driver seat and a loud rattle coming from the A-pillar. When he went down the path of asking if I “was” from Bellingham, and if I had bought the Jeep there, I had enough and left.

So I now go to the next closest CDJRF dealer, which is 30 miles away. The service advisor there has the personality of Richard Nixon’s emotionally-stunted brother, but at least we don’t get into an argument every time I drop off the vehicle. They screwed up big time when they replaced the water pump on my Spider, only to spill its entire content 150 miles later, 150 miles away, on a mountain pass 5,500 ft above sea level, without cell phone reception. It’s a miracle I didn’t ruin the engine driving 150 miles back without coolant. But at least they took care of everything when I got home: got the car towed, and they re-repaired the car promptly and —this time— correctly. Since then I brought my Fiat for its first oil change and I was treated like a “customer” for the first time. They added a young Service Advisor who is much better: he says hello, and even smiles! So I take it one day at time. Not like I have a choice; the next closest CDJRF dealership is 60 miles from my house.

I bought the Spider from an Alfa Romeo-Fiat studio 125 miles away. They are owned by a large CDJR dealership across the street. I was treated very well, both through the purchase and its first subsequent minor warranty issue. But I ain’t driving 125 miles each way every time I need to service the Fiat.

I got the JL from a dealer near Salt Lake City, 1,000 miles away. They treated me very well, too.

My local Toyota dealer is right across the street from that crummy CDJR dealership, 1.5 miles from my house. My experience buying a Tacoma was great, and their facilities, including their service area, are spotless. I am so jealous. If Toyota knew how to calibrate an automatic transmission and design a comfortable driver’s seat, chances are I’d still have that Tacoma.

#10 aldo90731, Jun 16, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2020
  11. Milkman123

Milkman123 Active Member

They have done that looong before we walked in the door.

12. Adventurer55

I wonder if a dealer group that owned both FCA and Toyota treat customers the same way in both?

13. Milkman123

Milkman123 Active Member

Chrysler would run like Chrysler. It's a strategy, FCA customers want to be mistreated.:p:p:p

14. aldo90731

I am sure it would have an equalizing effect.

But the way dealers treat their customers is in large pact determined by (1) how profitable the dealer is --which is closely tied to the franchise it represents; and (2) how easy or difficult it to serve as independent agent between the automaker and the manufacturer. The more short-term and erratic the automaker's policies and practices are, the harder it will be for the dealer to serve as an effective client-facing representative of the automaker.

#14 aldo90731, Jun 16, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2020
  15. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

They for sure don't act the same. Been to many dealers that have owned many other makes and i find that the dealer of the make is the same as the other makes. So fca dealers act like fca and Toyota dealers act like Toyota. The only time i have found them to really act any different is when its two makes in one, like a KIA/Hyundai and FCA dealer that is near me

16. cherokeefromsrt

Well, that is the case for me locally. The Toyota dealer is pretty darned good, not the best, but probably 8/10. The CDJR dealer is an absolute abomination. Turned in a leased JGC there at the end of April. Got a nastygram from Chrysler Financial three or four weeks later, wanting to know where their vehicle was. Total incompetence.

17. Adventurer55

So basically, FCA is making the dealer like it is then.

18. KrisW

KrisW Well-Known Member

Bit of both. Some businesses don't give a damn about customers, no matter how much support they get. In my home town, the Mercedes-Benz retailer has by far and away the worst customer service of any brand - I used to think they just hated me, but it seems they treat everyone that badly.

When FIAT overhauled its UK FIAT and Alfa Romeo dealer network in the mid-2000s, the first step was top-down: better supports, improvements in service and warranty claims, etc. Two years later, when that didn't work, they cut off the worst 25% of the dealerships and put the next 30% into an education program by sending key staff to high-satisfaction dealerships to learn how to improve their customer service. I heard about this from my local dealership, which had been training some UK-based staff as part of the "education" bit of the program. In the end, the quality of dealers did improve, but the number of outlets shrank (not by 25%, as other dealer groups took up some outlets, but it did drop), and overall sales dropped.

Perhaps FCA US management fears that taking real action to improve customer service will end up reducing the number of outlets they have at the end of it, and given how fixated US investors are with shipment numbers, that mightn't be a risk they want to take.

T_690 likes this.
  19. valiant67

valiant67 ...

The fact is many, many dealers (despite the family or hometown name on the buildings) are owned by large groups that sell many different brands. That means there's a very good chance that a group that has a CDJR franchise may also have a Toyota, Honda, or Subaru store as well.

20. Adventurer55

They don't need the ones they have now. I'd rather them have fewer great dealers, then a bunch of non caring ones that act like they are doing you a favor by waiting on you.

KrisW likes this.