Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chrysler Extended Warranties for pre-owned cars?

Discussion in 'Minivans · Pacifica' started by mrsmoos, Mar 11, 2014.

1. mrsmoos

mrsmoos Member

My 2013 T&C that I bought used is having headlight problems it seems. I am about 300 miles from being out of warranty. Has anyone had any experience with Chrysler extended warranties? Do they offer them for pre-owned cars? Are they worth the money? How much do they cost?

2. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

Is this a 'Certified' used car? Service contracts are like an insurance policy. They don't cover the little things, but may pay for themselves with big things.
    What is going on with the headlights? Can the problem be replicated for the dealer to witness?

3. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

I was offered several options when I bought my certified used 300 from lifetime powertrain to lifetime max care.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  4. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Yes, Extended warranties are available for pre-owned vehicles. Not sure if they have to precertified or not. You don't have to purchase the extended warranty from the selling dealer. Shop around. Basically there are two options - Add Care and Max Care - and there are several time/mileage options under each.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  5. Frantz

Frantz Member

Typically you can add warranties and preexisting conditions are unlikely to be covered so tread softly in your verbiage. I have no experience with adding Chrysler coverage after point of purchase.

6. UN4GTBL

Level 2 Supporter

What is the problem?

Our past 4 vehicles have had Chrysler extended warranties. Depending on the plan you get will depend on what is covered.

7. dodgeismycar

dodgeismycar Active Member

Buying a CPO 2015. Is the expense of buying a max care warranty worth the money?

8. dodgeismycar

dodgeismycar Active Member

I could not create a new thread. Sorry, but I am looking for some advice.

9. CudaPete

Ad-Free Member

Yes, if you plan on keeping the car for a long tme.

UN4GTBL and dodgeismycar like this.
  10. AllanC

AllanC Well-Known Member

Extended warranties on automobiles as well as consumer appliances are popular today. But be careful. The automobile companies have the statistical data and know the frequency of repair needed within certain mileage and age time frames on vehicles. Actuaries assign financial risk and then a large profit markup is added to the policy. So it is like gambling in Las Vegas; how lucky (or unlucky) will you be and need the use of an extended warranty. Remember, like in Vegas the "house stacks the cards against you". If the manufacturers were losing money on extended warranties, they would cease to exist.

Only YOU can determine if paying excessive dollars for an extended warranty gives you some peace of mind. It is your money. How do you like to spend it?

If you buy one do it online. There are numerous Chrylser dealers that sell the warranties online and at a discount. Do a search on Chrysler extended warranties. Here is one link.

Chrysler Extended Warranty | Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep extended maintenance plans (at https://www.chryslerwarrantydirect.com )

UN4GTBL and dodgeismycar like this.
  11. rapidtrans

rapidtrans Well-Known Member

I purchased a CPO Grand Cherokee and the Chrysler Extended Warranty. Its a real Chrysler warranty as apposed to an aftermarket one that don't seem to want to cover anything. I believe it extended the original warranty out to 8 yrs. And it did pay for itself. That year GC had brake and electrical issues.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  12. Doug D

I agreewith Allan. If you are going to get an extended warranty the Max Care is the best option. It states exactly what it covered unlike many 3rd party warranties that state what they don't cover and are vague on the rest.

As Allan indicated, warranties are like insurance. You don't want to use it, but are glad you have it if something goes wrong. It's correct that the auto makers wouldn't offer an extended warranty if it was stacked against them. They've run the numbers and know it is in their favor.

Just be aware that if a covered repair exceeds the value of the vehicle (more apt to happen when the vehicle is up in miles and age) , instead of paying to repair, the manufacturer has the option to "buy back" your vehicle under the terms of the warranty.

UN4GTBL and AllanC like this.
  13. AllanC

AllanC Well-Known Member

Interesting. One can ALWAYS learn new things! Thanks for the enlightenment!

14. Doug D

Yeah, I can see where they would buy it back - say the transmission is kaput and needs replacement (say the cost is $3,000+) and the vehicle value is only $2,000.

15. MPE426HEMI

MPE426HEMI Well-Known Member

I never bought one yet. Whatever is on it from the factory, that's what I take. It wouldn't have paid off on any new vehicles I've had. I know people who've bought them an still paid lots of cash on repairs that was supposedly (or they thought) was covered. I don't mean just FCA either. Depends on your situation. It's all gamble a gamble of course.

16. Christopher

Christopher Socially Unacceptable
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

If I'm not mistaken, the 'buy back' is paying you the NADA book value for your car in average condition (their mark for determining if the repair exceeds the value of the vehicle) and terminating the warranty. They don't actually buy the car back from you.

If I were going to keep the vehicle for a significant period beyond the warranty period, I'd only buy a Chrysler warranty and then I'd go with MaxCare. I have the lifetime MaxCare for my Charger with is coming up on 5 years old now. I've only had to use it once, but it was nice to know that the repair was covered, as well as providing the trip interruption benefits since I was more than 75 miles (I think the limit is) from home. Chrysler paid for a rental car, my room and meals while my car was being repaired. I still haven't made up what I paid for warranty, but I expect if I keep the car another 5 years, I will.

Only you can determine if the cost of the warranty is worth it. For me, given the length of time I generally keep my cars, it is.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  17. Christopher

I'd never buy a 3rd party warranty. I guess it depends on the level of coverage and the deductible you choose. I guess that's why the MaxCare gets recommended so much. It tells you what isn't covered. If it isn't on that list, and it is a short list, it is covered.

UN4GTBL, MPE426HEMI and Doug D like this.
  18. MPE426HEMI

MPE426HEMI Well-Known Member

I bought a 3rd party warranty years ago on a used vehicle. It was utter BS. Glad I really didn’t need it, however I just really wasted my money. The one time I tried to get (supposedly) warranty work done on the AC, I just got the warranty run-around instead. I guess that’s why that company no longer exists today. Just another scam. Extended warranties can be good, no doubt, but it’s a gamble at best. It’s the same with appliances today, they make more money off of the warranty than the actual appliance itself, I’m sure. Now, if somebody had trouble and had repairs made, then that’s fine, but usually there’s always some excuse for exclusion. I never buy the extended up front on a vehicle. I take the factory warranty and judge over the life of the factory warranty if I’ll need the extended. If I were having a ton of trouble with the vehicle, I’d get the extended before that window of extra coverage closes. As luck should have it, I’ve never needed it. A person must judge for themselves.

19. Christopher

Absolutely. I know that it makes sense for me, given how much I drive and how long I keep my vehicles. For others, I can absolutely see where it would not make sense.

I remember hearing what a scam the 3rd party warranty companies were when I was much younger and determined I'd never to buy one. I was skeptical of the Chrysler warranty I purchased on my Daytona years ago until they fixed the car.

MPE426HEMI likes this.
  20. CudaPete

Ad-Free Member

I have a third party warranty on my daughter's Subaru. I used it and the coverage has been pretty good so far.