Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chrysler in Off-road series

Discussion in 'Historical' started by Beentherebefore, Nov 30, 2013.

1. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

Wow! The background looks like Glen Helen Raceway, where we ran yesterday...that would be cool!

2. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

I guess you could research it back through Chrysler's ad agency.

Ooops....forgot. Chrysler doesn't have an ad agency specializing in marketing off road performance - in fact, as far as I know, the company doesn't even participate in major off road series with top name drivers anymore (you being the exception of course, Norm ;) ).

3. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

Assuming they had a department that might support us... :lol:

4. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

[​IMG]

This Dodge ad says 8 years of factory backed off road racing. Where'd that enthusiasm disappear to I wonder?

#44 Beentherebefore, Sep 5, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2014
  5. TheMan

TheMan What color are the clouds in your world?
    Level III Supporter

It died due to Walter Voss' passing.

6. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

...and I might add, guys like Bob Sheaves, who worked with Voss.

7. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Quote from a news article that Dave posted on 9-4-14 on the main news page;

"Chrysler spent nearly $6 billion on advertising in 2013, while GM spent around $5.5 billion and Ford spent around $4.5 billion."

$6 BILLION for marketing and they can't find $5 million for a top level off-road racing program that they could advertise and promote???!!

I guess that modern marketing concepts dictate that racing and advertising in major racing series that will pay benefits years down the road should be superseded by ads showing a guy talking to a horse and a guy with a blowtorch lighting a centrifugal circular track on fire.

8. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

Heck, I'd do it for $500,000. $750,000 if they pay for a new shop...:cool:

9. TheMan

Level III Supporter

What you guys dont realise is that since Walter.....no one has cared.

10. TheMan

Level III Supporter

BTW $5 million was only about 3months of Walters race budget. We spent a buttload more than that.

11. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

I do, that's why I only asked for $750,000...if I win the Class, they'd forget to run the Ad Spot...
    Heck, we made it to 3rd in points with a mere $120,000, I figured 1st place is just a new 6.4 Hemi and a 545 transmission away. ...and a few back up motors and parts...:cool:

12. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

For a company (Dodge) that now has finally decided that it wants to have an image of "affordable performance", participating in major US racing series should be a no-brainer.

OK, so say it costs $20 million for a top line Off-road program where success gets publicized in the enthusiast publications and whatever "modern social media" is being used to advertise/market these days. By my calculations,that would come to less than .4% of the $6 billion that Chrysler spent on advertising (Dave's figures) last year. It was said that the company could have remained in Nascar with Penske for less than $50 million which comes to about .75% of the advertising budget by my calculation. Even if they would have to shell out $100 million to re-establish their Nascar program (using a figure I have seen batted around on some of these threads), we are only talking about 1.7% of their total advertising budget for last year. Of course, if somebody can explain to me how spending your advertising $$$ on a guy talking to a horse logically ads to your "affordable performance" image...............or how spending your advertising $$$ to sponsor Nascar races on TV that feature the vehicles of your 3 main market competitors without a racing Dodge (or Dodge truck) in sight...............Geez, looks like I'm going to have to throw my old Marketing 1-A textbook onto the firewood pile for kindlin' next winter. It obviously is all wrong.

#52 Beentherebefore, Sep 6, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2014
    MoparNorm likes this.
  13. TheMan

Level III Supporter

There is a difference between owning a book and comprehending what is contained in the book.

BTW what part of "no one cares" do you not understand? You asked a question, were provided the answer amd now you want to argue? You are a prime example of why Chrysler DOESNT want to race-you have no idea of what goes on in budget meetings. You just want to cry like a 3 year old instead of actually DO SOMETHING TO HELP.

#53 TheMan, Sep 6, 2014
  14. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Not sure what you are advocating that I do to help, Bob. I obviously do not work for Chrysler so I am not privy to their budget discussions or other decisions. They supposedly are monitoring "modern media" for potential customers/fans reactions and there are plenty for them to soak up on this board alone. If you haven't seen it, there is a whole Facebook site with fans angry about their Nascar withdrawal. From what people have been reporting on this site, Chrysler officials on Twitter just cut them off when they make inquiries (I don't belong to Twitter).

Here is one plan that I do have. When they issue their stock (depending on price), I might buy a hundred shares and then I become an "owner" of the company and they would at least have to answer my inquiries as to why they don't want to participate in major US racing series. As a stockholder, one can even propose a resolution that gets discussed and voted on @ shareholders meetings. Company management at least has to pretend that they care.

#54 Beentherebefore, Sep 6, 2014
  15. TheMan

Level III Supporter

That is one thing. Another is to apply your talent for research and writing to submit articles to trade and general interest publications. Just drop the rhetoric. Another is to submit original research to the Chrysler Historical archives. Another is to submit research and published articles to the Petty family and other notables such as Carl Keikhaefer's family (sp?).

Yet another is to submit research to Hemmings for publication. All just for starters...

All would be more productive that sitting back and complaining.

16. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

This Chrysler ad dates to around 1994, IIRC. I don't remember much about this driver/team. Norm can probably fill you all in on the details.

ivanstewartoffroadScan.jpg

17. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

Looks like the team mate of Walker Evans, at first glance, same color scheme and sponsors. Racing support likely cost Dodge very little as Goodyear and others contributed to a lot of the effort.

Just re-read Bob's comments above and noted that Hemmings readership is 200,000 per month and declining.
    Jeep Facebook viewers are over 3,000,000 and rising. Back a few years ago when Chrysler Communications first asked me to join there, the viewership at Jeep Facebook, was barely 300,000. So we can see where the trend is going from print to electronic.
    That said, I would suspect the Hemmings audience is more engaged, yet aging, while the younger, more vocal electronic audience is casual and not as likely to financially support their products.
    Can't say for sure, haven't seen any data, but over time, with the demise of print, that will undoubtedly change.
    That said, for comparison, there are 29,000 following Ultra 4 Racing on Facebook...and Walker Evans usually spectates in one of the Pits...

18. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

With you there. Ditto, say, Mopar Action and [choose online Mopar thing now.] I am amazed at how huge some Facebook groups are while we just muddle along.

19. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Hemmings is basically in business to provide a market for want-ads so their reach is limited. Any historical articles they provide are to enhance the value of vehicles being sold/traded by adding some history. Some of their historical is pretty good but I have seen some errors in their Nascar history. I don't really care as I don't intend to support their reason for being since their Mopar stuff is far outweighed by their "Brand C" stuff.

20. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

If you guys have been checking on Facebook, maybe you have seen this page;

https://www.facebook.com/groups/127229174100580/?ref=br_tf

So far only a few posters (mainly one) but there are over 1,000 readers. Right now our historical is better (imo) but I may consider participating on that Facebook site if I get convinced that Chrysler marketing execs are following those pages rather than Allpar's, which is the main reason I was convinced to join this group. Yes, some Facebook groups are huge but not everyone on Facebook reads every page or topic posted. Most are limited to friends and family.

#60 Beentherebefore, Dec 24, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2014