Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chrysler in the TransAM series

Discussion in 'Historical' started by Beentherebefore, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

I just did a quick Google search of Ron Grable and came up with this off a Tumblr website, Jerry;

[​IMG]

Looks like part of a magazine article - no credit was given but site says "share". From the article banner, it looks like the car might have competed in the "Baby Grand" racing series which was mentioned back in post #7 on this thread.

#41 Beentherebefore, Aug 3, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2014
  2. dyslexic teddybear

dyslexic teddybear Active Member

Nice looking Dart!

This does remind me that there was a time when cars didn't look so damm generic.......

Always liked the lines of that generation. Even before I knew what an SS Dart was.

3. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Street version of Trans Am Challenger (art print being offered on e-Bay)

[​IMG]

MPE426HEMI likes this.
  4. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Photo of TransAm series action from a July,1970 issue of the long gone "Competition Press".

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Jerry Simcik likes this.
  5. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Great shot of Sam Posey's TransAm Challenger racing in Laguna Seca's infamous "corkscrew" in 1970.

TransAM Laguna Seca.jpg

6. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Valued Member
    Level III Supporter

michigan 71 trans am (401x500).jpg Another Trans Am program from my collection.

7. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

They put the right car on the cover - he won the race! AMC Javelins finished 1st, 3rd, and 4th. Unfortunately, by 1971, Chrysler had lost interest in the series and had pulled all factory support.

8. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Don't know what track this is but a great shot of TransAM racing in 1970 shared from the America Pink website.

Swede Savage in the #42 'Cuda along side of the Penske Javelin driven by Mark Donohue. Sam Posey is in the #77 Challenger.

TransAm shot from '70.jpg

9. MPE426HEMI

MPE426HEMI Well-Known Member

Wow! Love that!
    I once read that the sheet metal on the "race" TA cars where so thin, you couldn't lean on them without the metal buckling. Is this true?

10. DC-93

DC-93 Active Member

Not sure of that, but here's a fact: I worked at AMC when the Archer Brothers Renaults got thin stamped metal made for them!

MPE426HEMI likes this.
  11. hemirunner426

Level 2 Supporter

Back in 2012 Mopar Action magazine had a series called Race Engineer's Diary,from December 1969--January 1970.It was about Bob Tarozzi.He was contracted through AAR[,All American Racers]as a designer and race car engineer for the 1970 Trans am Barracuda.It had lots of pictures and was a fantastic read and insight into how it all went down.

12. dartndodge

dartndodge Well-Known Member

Only just watched my copy of "TransAm '70" that I converted from VHS to dvd.
    Its a very poor copy, but it works....
    You mean none of you know of the famous AMC/Sunoco movie........"Transam 70"? ;).

Its a must for all racers and AMC fans alike.

The AAR team had 2 cars, but mainly used Swedes car.......which was Very fast, but blew the engine up in 3 or 4 races.
    The Challengers were slower, but more reliable.
    There was also a 1969 "Cuda" fastback racing that year too....a ruby red coloured one....obviously a privateer....featured in the film a couple of times, when it spins with a flat tyre, and racing around corners.....looked fast too.

Sadly....Swede Savage died in 1973....RIP. Peter Revson Died in 1974....RIP. and Mark Donahue died in 1975....RIP.

I see, by pure accident, that a few years ago Swede Savages daughter....He wife was pregnant when he died, visited Indy for the first time a few years ago (the painful event), and is now a full car racing enthusiast, follows the Vintage Trans Am crowd and lends support to the AAR Cuda vintage team, signing stuff etc......in honour of the Father she never knew....which I thought was nice, and a way for her to "understand" things and clear things in her mind, if just a little.

Beentherebefore likes this.
  13. dartndodge

dartndodge Well-Known Member

Hey Brother....The only problems I can see with that photo shown.......Is that there is only one yellow Mustang....near the back....in real life they were 2 at the front.
    The Challenger is near the front....;)
    There are two 1971 Javelins racing, at the same time as 1970 models........Dont think that happened at the time.
    There is a 1964/5 Ford Falcon racing......Nope, never saw them in the 1970 movie I got.
    There is 65 model Mustang in that pack too....dont think that happened in 1970 either.
    Plus, there is No '70 Chapparal Camaros or 70 Firebirds, they were in the top lot.
    The fast 69 Camaro was Milt Minters, which was yellow....not the red one.

I think that photo shown is a more Modern vintage TransAm race...from the past 20 years or so.

Fairly sure its not a 1970 photograph.

#53 dartndodge, Apr 8, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2016
  14. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

I thought about that but decided to go with whatever the bulletin board claimed the year was. I remember that the Mustangs usually started up front (Parnelli and Follmer?) and just figured that the front row (or two) had already passed the photographer. IIRC, older cars were allowed to run in TransAM but I don't recall how far back were allowed.

15. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

16. Muther

Muther Well-Known Member

That looks like the esses (8, 8A) at Sonoma Raceway, at Sears Point in north San Fran Bay.

17. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

[​IMG]

18. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Great shot of Ron Grable's Dart in action shared from Pinterest. I don't know what track this was shot at though.

Ron Grable's Trans Am Dart in action.jpg

19. Muther

Muther Well-Known Member

Looks like Sebring

Beentherebefore likes this.
  20. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

For those interested in the AMC Trans Am program, there is a 6 page spread in the Dec 2016 issue of "Hot Rod" mag that reviews the whole history of their factory backed program, including pre-Penske.