Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chrysler in the USAC stock car series

Discussion in 'Historical' started by Beentherebefore, Dec 12, 2013.

1. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Maybe you were hearing that 1 - 5 Mopar sweep ;). The sound of an all-out unrestricted Hemi motor could be heard for miles. I was in attendance at a Winston West race at California's Ascot Park (1/2 mile dirt) track in the early 70s and when Ray Elder's Dodge came down the front straightaway, the track announcer stated "I don't know what he's got in that thing but it shakes our (announcing) booth every time that it comes by". The track's races were covered on local TV (same sound track as over the track PA system) but that was before the days when you could tape them :(.

MPE426HEMI likes this.
  2. page2171

Level 2 Supporter

Probably not, since that 1-5 Mopar sweep was 2 years before I was born. :eek: But, as a kid who grew up loving pretty much everything with a motor in it, I did love the sound coming from the races.

3. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Link to You-tube video of a 1972 race @ Knoxville, IA. Lots of Mopar Hemi stock cars featured in dirt track action. Looks like the video is comprised of hot lapping, a trophy dash, and then part of the main event. Among the Mopar USAC drivers shown are Butch Hartman (#75), Don White (#9), Paul Feldner (#7), Bay Darnell (#12), Sal Tovella (#8), Verlin Eaker (#99) and Lem Blankenship (#6) who finished 2nd.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nI_boGv-8QM&feature=share

The main event was won by Chuck McWilliams in a '72 Plymouth (#72) who does not appear in the video, at least not to where I can make his car out.