AF: Chrysler or Dodge? Survey | Page 4 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chrysler or Dodge? Survey

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by Quambi, Oct 1, 2020.

?

If only Chrysler or Dodge can survive, which one should it be?

1. Keep Chrysler, Ditch Dodge

2 vote(s)
    2.0%
  2. Save Dodge, Cull Chrysler

38 vote(s)
    37.6%
  3. "Keep both and I'll bet my house that the profits will come rolling in"

61 vote(s)
    60.4%
  1. AvengerGuy

AvengerGuy Well-Known Member

RE: rapidtrans

I hear what you're saying! After all, what would our old buddy MoparNorm be saying? Have not forgotten him.

burtstwins likes this.
  2. codypet

codypet Well-Known Member

Eagle could have been that if it stuck around. I get what you're saying though and I agree. I feel like Chrysler is going to be FCA's forray into future alternative powertrain vehicles though. Jeep can have rugged soft roaders and the Trail Rated vehicles in the same brand. It seems to do well for Subaru as you said.

3. rapidtrans

rapidtrans Well-Known Member

And how about a “Levis” interior package for a bit of nostalgia?
    Or better yet a “Lee’s Wrangler” package.

4. Tony K

Tony K Active Member

I see no reason why we can't keep both and make them successful. I think the problem lies in what people think "success" will mean in 2021 and beyond. I don't have an answer for that that everyone will agree with. Truth is, I can see Stellantis going several ways with old Chrysler Corp brands. I could see Dodge maintaining its Mopar Muscle and picking up where Plymouth left off easier than I can see that of Chrysler. I can see Chrysler continuing as the more refined uptown brand. I DON'T see Ram getting folded back into Dodge. I think that die has been cast and the mold is shattered. I could imagine even with Peugeot supposedly coming to NAFTA, that both original Mopar brands have their own place. What happens with DS remains to be seen. With Carlos Tavares at the helm and with his rapid turnaround of Opel, anything is possible in NAFTA, and nothing is a given (hope remains for Chrysler and Dodge) just because FCA turned the two into "rump" brands. To borrow from Python: we're not dead YET!

Oh, and Stellantis won't own a bespoke luxury car brand like VAG owns Bentley. Maserati isn't that kind of luxury car. Can anyone say "Imperial LeBaron?" Okay, I know that's a stretch. :D

eastcoaster and superduckie5000 like this.
  5. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham Well-Known Member

Actally, it's not as much of a stretch as you might think. Chrysler "IMPERIAL" could easily morph into Maserati "IMPERIALE"...complete with the Italian accented "e" at the end.:D

Obviously...the "LeBaron" part would have to go.;)

6. Tony K

Tony K Active Member

I'm not talking Chrysler anything. I said Imperial LeBaron, Not Chrysler Lebaron. My Pipe Dream to counter VAG owning Bentley :D

7. danbek

danbek Well-Known Member

I don't have a problem with differing opinions and you are certainly allowed to own and express your own. In return, my thoughts of your opinions (because they never vary, always the same) is simple, get the mosquito spray.....

Tony K and Doug D like this.
  8. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Norm was very much against "soft" or wanna-be Jeeps such as the Renegade, Cherokee and Patriot. He was sort of okay with the GC. His opinion, as I recall, was "soft" Jeeps would dilute the brand over time. He would be fine with the Wrangler and Gladiator though I would think he would be very disappointed with the quality of current products. In the end, he could accept a Jeep that was Trail-Rated though he much preferred Rubicon. If it had the Rubicon label it could go dang near anywhere.

tlc and Dave Z like this.
  9. Powdered Toast Man

Powdered Toast Man Move along, nothing to see here

It was never that they couldn't continue to build the C200, it's that Sergio didnt want to continue building it. The car didnt lose money, it just wasn't profitable enough. This has been hashed out before on here but basically it comes down to the margins on each unit sold were not high enough and FCA was hell bent on leaning up their portfolio to try and make themselves as attractive as possible for a potential merger partner. Given some time, tweaks, and maybe some marketing the C200 could have been a success. However FCA was not interested in playing the long game at that point.

page2171, ehaase, Dave Z and 2 others like this.
  10. eastcoaster

eastcoaster Well-Known Member

Thanks for your thoughtful reply. I guess I'll never understand cutting a profitable product when there was spare capacity in a facility that should have been easily adapted to making it alongside another product. As Sergio knew well, there's never a guarantee of a partner until the ink dries. Yes, it would have made sense for many of the merger partners to eventually streamline away the C200 (and even the Chrysler brand itself) upon closing a deal, but that wasn't necessarily the case. In the meantime, they could have continued making some money on it, possibly improving the profitability of the Cherokee alongside it, and strengthened a brand until such time as it was obviously not needed.

page2171 and Powdered Toast Man like this.
  11. valiant67

valiant67 ...

The excuse was the "factory shuffle". They discontinued 200 and moved the Cherokee to free up factories (Sterling Heights and Toledo) for trucks and Wrangler/Gladiator production. Why 200 wasn't also moved does make one wonder. Given the steep incentives necessary to sell Cherokee, Belvidere could have handled Cherokee, Dart, and 200 volume while possibly reducing the incentives for each by making each vehicle line profitable at a lower volume. But either the plant wasn't really flexible enough (or the vehicles had less in common than we were made to think) or they decided Cherokee minus incentives still made more money than the cars.

tlc, eastcoaster, gforce2002 and 4 others like this.
  12. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

Going back to the CUSW question, I think it's a matter of assembly sizes. Suspension choices, as one example, can dramatically increase or reduce interior space. The PT Cruiser “reverse Watts linkage” design was different from that of the Neon, because the goal was increased storage space; by changing suspensions, they got a vehicle that didn't handle quite as well, but had much more space (and was at least a foot shorter, as I recall, bumper to bumper!).

As I understand it, CUSW either implicitly or explicitly has suspension choices that may not be optimal. AFAIK it was really created for Alfa Romeo, which has much different design requirements from Dodge, Chrysler, or Jeep.

13. prowler

prowler Well-Known Member

Since they've about milked the Charger and Challenger for every thing they can, and with little to no signs of actual replacements, it wouldn't be a big surprise if they stopped the Dodge and Chrysler divisions altogether and concentrated on Jeep/Ram. A sad ending to the once great Chrysler Corporation. (you can thank the Obama administration for that)

thebluegoat likes this.
  14. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

You can thank the Obama Administration for the remains of Chrysler being here at all.

Nobody else thought it was worth saving.

And even if you don't want anything they have to sell, there are a huge number of American and Canadian and Mexican jobs still in place, and not moved to Korea or China, because of the Obama Administration’s efforts.

At the time, remember, no pundit or financial analyst thought Chrysler had a chance on its own, and no company other than Fiat offered to join them.

15. FreeLantz

FreeLantz Well-Known Jeeper

To make the Chrysler brand what it was envisioned as in the 90's/early 2000's and what it still could be, you'd have to compete head-on with Alfa and Maserati. There's no "premium American sedan" market anymore. Buick is almost all crossovers. Cadillac is getting there, too. Lincoln has the Continental but not for long. If you want to do sports sedans, beautiful and elegant but fast and powerful - you're going into the same territory as the precious European heritage brands and they will NEVER let Chrysler go there.

ehaase likes this.
  16. aldo90731

The way Daimler dumped Chrysler was humiliating. But those people have no loyalties: they exiled Shrempp, and now they forced Dr. Z out.

tlc, 77 Monaco Brougham and Tony K like this.
  17. Tony K

Tony K Active Member

Nope. Daimler raped Chrysler Corporation. Absent that fact, Chrysler is still here, merged or not.

I see no reason why Chrysler has to compete with Alfa or Maserati. For one, you can pretty much rule out competing at Maserati levels, because that's Imperial pricing in today's terms. Alfa is all about performance, meaning straightening curves, not straight line speed like Dodge, and while you could get Chrysler to Alfa price levels, Alfa's luxury interior requirement, which it seems they've pushed to rectify lately, is a requirement in that segment to fight BMW. Maserati is going after AMGs.

tlc, 77 Monaco Brougham and ScramFan like this.
  18. vipergg

vipergg Well-Known Member

Got to wonder how true that is. I see thousands of GC's running around and a lot less Pacifica's .

19. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

National level and local level have different mixes. Also, I was talking USA and Canada has more retail GC sales.

20. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham Well-Known Member

Yes...Almost as bad as the way DamnLiar dumped ON Chrysler during The Occupation.

As for Schrempp...If it's true that the good die young...then that #&^%$* will live forever!;)

#80 77 Monaco Brougham, Oct 17, 2020 at 7:23 PM
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2020 at 7:30 PM
    aldo90731 likes this.