AF: Chrysler shipping vans missing parts | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chrysler shipping vans missing parts

Discussion in 'Vans' started by Skatah, Aug 27, 2014.

1. Skatah

Skatah New Member

I just bought a new Promaster van and I noticed the 2 of the three plastic underbody shields are missing under the engine compartment. Seems all of the vans on the dealers lot are missing them too. The parts schematic shows them there and the are priced over $1500 to replace. The dealer doesn't know why they are not installed from the factory but I can buy them. I'm worried about starting a fire as the cat converter is exposed near the ground and very hot. Contacted Chrysler but they just give me the run around.

2. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

Welcome to Allpar. I moved this to the Promaster section for more visibility from Promaster people.
    If the omission is a true shortage, Chrysler should gladly cover it.
    If the other vans out in the dealer lot don't have them, it almost makes me think that they aren't installed on all vans. Maybe only on certain market or option packages?
    Just because they are shown in the parts catalog, doesn't mean that yours will have them.
    You don't want plastic shields under a catalytic converter anyways. If the shield got pushed upwards, it would be a fire hazard in itself.
    Someone must have an explanation.

3. ka9yhd

ka9yhd Well-Known Member

IC: I am wondering if Chrysler deleted them because of a possible fire hazard with a plastic shield being too close to the catalytic converter?

4. AC TC

AC TC Well-Known Member

There may be other reasons for the missing panels depending on wich drivetrain etc the van comes with

5. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

So far there is only one drivetrain on Promaster. The diesel has not yet been produced.

6. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

PS> I am making inquiries.

Skatah likes this.
  7. Skatah

Skatah New Member

So far I am quite pleased with the van, quiet, drives nice when you have a little weight in it, plenty of power and 19mpg. I just wish Chrysler would respond to my missing parts. I have always made it a point to have my vehicles well sorted out and maintained to specs. My engine compartments on my vehicles are always spotless. Those missing shields will not help keep the engine compartment clean. It bugs me that something is missing at purchase. This is the first american vehicle I have purchased in 20 years after having bad experiences with all the top three american mfg products in the past.

8. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

The reply is that the missing part is an engine skid plate. “A decision was made early in the development program that the engine skid plate would not be required for ProMaster, however it was not removed from the parts list.” The rep sends his thanks to you for pointing this out and making the situation clear, and said they are making sure the documentation is fixed.

Catalytic converters are often surprisingly close to the ground. Automakers often have a note in the manual not to park over grass (or at least not to idle the engine there).

9. Skatah

Skatah New Member

Thanks for the answer, don't understand why Customer care couldn't.

10. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

Customer Care probably couldn't get access to the engineers.