Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chrysler Slant-Six Racing

Discussion in 'Historical' started by Beentherebefore, Mar 18, 2015.

1. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

2. tazdevil

tazdevil Member

Had a run in with a 145 HP Corvair one night. My '61 Valiant HT with the 170 engine had a bad vacuum leak, and damaged the valves. I still kept up with the Monza with relative ease. That great little car went 214,000 miles, and still ran well when I sold it.

3. stroudtom

Ad-Free Member

I dinked around with a 79 Volare super-six/auto. Mopar cam, Clifford intake/headers and Holley 500 cfm carb. Had more usable torque without 4 barrel intake and cold start was much better with 2 barrel setup back on. Long time ago so I can't remember what was taken off in sequence but the cam stayed in, nice upgrade over stock.

4. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

5. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

You ran 214,000 miles with a vacuum leak bad enough to damage the valves??? :eek:.

6. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Here is a photo I shot @ Fremont Dragstrip of a pretty successful Slant 6 with the 4 bbl "Hyper pack". This is the car which was driven in NHRA competition by Lt. Ron Root of the L.A. County Sheriff's Dept. Lt Root won Street Eliminator at the 1964 NHRA Winternationals in this '64 Dodge Dart. It ran in the E/MP class.

Slant Six NHRA car (Lt. Root).jpg

7. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

I think he meant he had the vacuum leak, it damaged the valves, he fixed the vacuum leak, and kept driving — I hope.

8. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

I once had a mechanic install a mechanical oil pressure gauge (in place of the dash warning light, no T-fitting), at about 145K miles. He accidentally left out the compression ferrule, the tubing flew off and I didn't discover it for a couple of miles, when I parked and saw zero oil pressure. I re-inserted the line, crushed the nut onto the line to seal it, and refilled 4 quarts. I had the car another 30K miles, still ran fine, no smoke, no issues.

9. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

LOL!
    Back in the day of mechanical gauges, it was amazing how fast you could pump 4 quarts through an 1/8" tube...:cool:

10. MPE426HEMI

MPE426HEMI Well-Known Member

I had a 225 "Super Six", albeit it was an 1981 model. It was a cool engine. One of my favs. Looked awesome under the hood. When I first drove the car not knowing what was under the hood, only 6 cyl engine, I thought the thing was fuel injected. It just had a great pedal response. A buddy of mine tried to race me with his Chev 350 2 bbl, full sized van back then. He never had a chance Lol! Boy, was he surprised! Kind of wished I kept it now.

11. tazdevil

tazdevil Member

Afirmative. Cooked the exhausts from lean out.

12. 48jeep

48jeep Member

We ran an aluminum block 225 slant six in a six cylinder class at our local dirt oval track. We did ok winning one main event and placing well in the other races considering that we were new to it and the fords and chevys had quite an advantage in displacement.

13. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Got any photos of your car? I'd be interested in seeing it, as some others here might also.

Back in the late 60s and early 70s, they raced a 6 cylinder "Hobby" class as companion races to the V-8 "Sportsman" class at the 5 oval tracks in the L.A. area (all but one are now gone). There was a Slant 6 powered '55 Plymouth that was a killer car in the class. It was driven by Bill Spencer. It was painted Petty blue and was numbered 543. It ran so well (often 1/2 track ahead at the end of a 10 lap race) that everyone was sure that he must have received help from the Pettys. Of course, he received nothing in the way of help from them, but he enjoyed letting the other frustrated drivers believe what they wanted. There is at least one picture of that car on the net as I have seen it posted on another discussion board that I am a member of. Unfortunately their historical thread is over 330 pages long and it would take a long time to go through it all (again). If I do stumble across it, I'll try to get it posted here.

A few years later, Bill Spencer was killed racing @ Riverside in a (non-Mopar) Sportsman car.

14. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

I have a copy of the 1978 Direct Connection catalog with a section on Mopar slant six racing parts. The front page of the section has a photo of a slant six with 3 Webers(?) and split tuned headers. It looked like it was sitting in an open engine bay of a dragster?

15. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

You and I have PM'd in the past about that crash, which happened right in front of me. I also knew his engine builder.
    That was my last NASCAR race at Riverside and it left an impact on the local community as Spencer was very popular at both Orange Show and Speedway 605.
    Craig Road, Saugus, El Cajon and Mesa Marin, gone but not forgotten.

16. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

July2011-0025s.jpg Saw this powerplant in an early 60s Valiant or Lancer at Carlisle in 2011. That's not 6 carbs, that's a mirrored firewall.

Beentherebefore and stroudtom like this.
  17. 48jeep

48jeep Member

18. 48jeep

48jeep Member

Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures.We ran in a class that required the original intake manifold but were allowed headers. We were running against guys that had deeper pockets and more experience. A lot of the Ford guys were running the six cylinder motors out of large trucks and displacing around 270 cubic inches. I am not sure what the Chevys were running but I am sure they were similar in displacement.
    There was slant six sportsman out of Albuquerque that ran real well.

19. dana44

Ad-Free Member

Those sidedraft DCOE Weber carbs are awesome power adders, my TR4 has a pair of them, going to eventually see how they do when I get to that project, installing them on a 2.5 and 5spd from a Dakota pickup in her (the old truck engine and 4spd are junk, reason I got her back after selling). Needless to say, they look so cool under the hood, I am going to try to set it up as throttle bodies and install an EFI system for reliability.

The Ford guys were most likely using the 300/6, but still not as good as the 225 by any means.

20. 48jeep

48jeep Member

Actually, they were limited to the four main bearing engines,such as the 223 Ford and 235 Chevy. The following year the seven main engines were allowed to compete ie. 240 Fords and 230 Chevy's.