AF: Chrysler US sales, 2019 as a whole: some surprises | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chrysler US sales, 2019 as a whole: some surprises

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by Dave Z, Jan 3, 2020.

1. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

2. valiant67

valiant67 ...

For a recently refreshed vehicle, Cherokee is hurting badly. RAV4 sold substantially over twice an many units. In fact, RAV4 easily outsold Compass, Cherokee, and Renegade combined for 2019. It looks the CUV market has "commoditzed" and the same things that happened in sedans is happening in CUVs.

3. serpens

serpens Well-Known Member

The fuel economy, reliability, and hybrid availability of the RAV4 is boon to consumers. Rightfully so.

4. hmk123

Level III Supporter

I would also add that just like the local Chrysler dealership around the corner is my default "car store" Toyota has that established that for themselves for many consumers. They obviously earned this due to their reputation for quality over decades. So I would not be surprised if many who want a relatively straight forward purchase without much thought or research put into will walk straight to a Toyota dealership. That for sure is a nice position to have.

Overall I think FCA had pretty good year though. Amazing how strong nameplates like GC and Wrangler are! And obviously RAM.

AvengerGuy, XRT2SRT, Tony K and 3 others like this.
  5. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

Vs GM, Honda, Toyota: FCA vs GM, Toyota, Honda (at https://www.allpar.com/news/2020/01/fca-vs-gm-toyota-honda-46933 )

The RAV4 is great for those aspects, but the Corolla is better on all of them, including price... RAV4 has been in the market for quite a while, with essentially the same characteristics, which helps. They never had a major quality problem, either. Cherokee is indeed in some trouble. 4xe might help. (Remember, allpar was predicting that system before the Pacifica was launched!)

Zagnut27 likes this.
  6. Suhail

Suhail Member

Forgot the 300 since 2014 ( the actual year for last update for it ), and not sealing the SRT model in the US. And expect the sales to go up is the must stupid thing I ever seen!

sorry guys but I’m really mad about how FCA is handling with the 300. The charger got the Hellcat and the scat back and the 392. Even the GT models is a great upgrade. Why the 300 don’t get any of this?

the Chrysler 300 is a great car, near luxury sedan or whatever you want to call it, but FCA or PSA doesn’t have any sedan like it, or or at least sedan in it’s segment.

Getting rid of the 300 meaning more sales for the “new” Cadillac CT5. And that my friends means... you are making your computer stronger by your own decision. STUPID!

HotCarNut, cdjr77, joewho and 5 others like this.
  7. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

My dealer is a fairly large one, and he has zero Chrysler 300 cars of any vintage, new or used. But several hundred cars overall.

HotCarNut and UN4GTBL like this.
  8. ShawnP

ShawnP Active Member

Alright who bought the lone Avenger?

We found the lone Ram recall guy.

Zagnut27, UN4GTBL and wolfsblood07 like this.
  9. serpens

serpens Well-Known Member

The CT5 is really a totally different style of sedan. I'd be surprised if the owners overlapped a noticeable amount. Guess I'll be on the lookout for conquest sales information soon.

And Toyota was rewarded there too. Corolla sales rose slightly to 304,850. Not bad I'd say!

10. wolfsblood07

wolfsblood07 Active Member

I'm curious how a new Avenger was sold in 2019. Can a dealership keep a new car as a loaner/demo and then sell it as new 5 years later? Or maybe FCA had this Avenger in its sales bank and forgot about it. Someone must have got a sweet deal on it.

11. marlon_jbt

marlon_jbt Well-Known Member

Most likely a low volume, small, rural dealer sat on it all this time.

AvengerGuy, wolfsblood07 and UN4GTBL like this.
  12. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

They're purposely killing the 300. Someone had that bright idea. I only hope Tavares can arrive soon enough to overrule the idiot responsible. It's like watching something die that needs water.

UN4GTBL, HotCarNut, XRT2SRT and 8 others like this.
  13. valiant67

valiant67 ...

You'd be surprised how many zombie vehicles are still around.
    A new car is a car that hasn't been titled to a previous owner. It can be unused by anyone, a dealer loaner, a demo unit, a factory official car, etc.

14. valiant67

valiant67 ...

While I'd love to see the 300 live on, FCA has "permanently" ruined the car's reputation. The bland restyles, the lack of updates, and the HUGE discounts that failed to significantly move the sales needle did it in. If they wanted to undo the damage done the last 5 years, it would take 10 or more years of serious attention. And this comes form a fan who has owned two 300s, a 300C and a 300S.

15. FreeLantz

FreeLantz Well-Known Jeeper

Really not a very good year for anything except Ram. Although it does seem safe to say we can write off the "Gladiator will kill Wrangler sales" theory now.

Tony K and BASONE88 like this.
  16. hmk123

Level III Supporter

I doubt with their current sets of dealers they can sell that many more vehicles than now, unless they turn them over a lot quicker... Of course, AR dealerships should have some spare room. :)

I wish they had some more guts in selling their own cars. Sometimes I feel they are almost too apologetic with their own cars instead of believing in them...

UN4GTBL and FreeLantz like this.
  17. HoboChangba

HoboChangba Active Member

It's a shame. Bought the wife a 300S AWD in August. Love that car. She was looking at a Cherokee, Compass, Renegade, CRV, RAV4 as well. So glad she went with the car over the CUV'S. This car should be preserved and promoted. The Halo car. Again such a shame. Even more so with GM & Ford bailing on large cars. They should be able to move 50k of these. Might actually have to try and sell / promote them. Not everyone wants a truck / suv / cuv.

18. hmk123

Level III Supporter

What amazes me about GM is that while all their brands were down they still sold 280k last month (although I assume what AutoNews does is take the quarter numbers and divide them by 3 to get the December numbers?). That is a lot of vehicles. By the way, Challenger only has a small lead over the Camaro for the quarter (14k vs 11k).

While Alfa is at only 1900 vehicles it is actually not that bad if you compare it to Jaguar at 3300 given how many more models Jag has.

Mr. Fusion and Tony K like this.
  19. JavelinAMX

JavelinAMX Well-Known Member

I agree with you.

The ruin occurred some time back; and the neglect since is merely sad evidence of a long goodbye.

Many, if not most of us, remember the excitement of its introduction. It made a true impact.

UN4GTBL, HotCarNut, XRT2SRT and 4 others like this.
  20. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

40,000 Gladiators in six months is nothing to sneeze at. Of course those sales were achieved with highly inflated lease residuals and, apparently, sales to fleets. But still.

However, even 80,000 JTs per years leaves a lot on un-used capacity at a plant capable of cranking out 200,000 units.

We still don’t see Gladiators around here.

UN4GTBL and HotCarNut like this.