AF: Chrysler US sales, 2019 as a whole: some surprises | Page 3 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chrysler US sales, 2019 as a whole: some surprises

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by Dave Z, Jan 3, 2020.

1. Matthew

Matthew Is pushing for progress!

except the 2019 model year has been out since early 2018 for the Cherokee, and 2018 had the fire sale of the 2018 models which they had pumped a lot out of to fill dealer lots. And it was not until very recently that the 2020 Cherokees rolled out or even started taking orders so the "end of year" sales for the 2019 came relatively late too.

The other question you have to ask is what is the profit per Cherokee sold and what trim levels are sold. I seek quite a few new Cherokees in my neck of the woods (NW washington) and I can tell you a lot of them are the higher trims. I see a lot a good number of limiteds and lots of Trailhawks, and the latter sale for a nice premium over a similar trim level Cherokee. I also see a lot of ADII Cherokees and those again sell at a nice premium over the FWD and ADI Cherokees. Where as I see more of the base economy RAV4's in the RAV4 mix.

Over all the question is going to be profit over models moved, as Jeeps as a whole sell at a premium over other models in their class. and at least where I am they hold that premium even in the used market. But I have noticed given how heavily they have pushed leased the last few years my local dealers have a lot of low millage 2-3 year old Jeeps as used vehicles on their lots. So that would also seem to be something that would hurt new sales as it will take sales from a base trim level as people will go with a low millage 2-3 year old lease that is better equipped even if they walked in looking for a new 2019. And when customers a hemming and hawing on buying because they can't quite afford what they are wanting in a 2019 most dealers will walk them over to the used cars and show them how they can get everything they want and more in their price range or even less. that and used sales make more money for the dealers too!.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  2. valiant67

valiant67 ...

How is any of that new vs. used unique to Cherokee? It wasn’t long after the refreshed models came out that they, like the old 2018s, became heavily discounted. November and December were huge incentive months for Jeep and Cherokee still fell.

Tony K and gforce2002 like this.
  3. Tin Man 2

Tin Man 2 Active Member

I believe the Compass is part of the problem, it’s much better looking, and almost the same size as the Cherokee.

4. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Compass sales fell substantially too.

We are seeing the past repeat. Only large vehicles sell well for Chrysler. Except now it’s the small CUVs, not just the small cars, losing out to Japanese and Korean competition.

5. pug-man

pug-man Well-Known Member

We'll that's it.
    FCA or whatever they are now has 8 hrs to provide me with concrete hope or I'm out.
    Straight to Toyota.
    I've had alot of Mopars in my day.....maybe they'll listen to me and my ultimatum.

6. Mopar International

The sun is setting for you, for me it is rising with my 300C and Stelvio.

djsamuel likes this.
  7. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

Stelvio, perhaps. But it can hardly be said that the sun is rising for 300, especially when it’s supposed to be discontinued soon. Unless it gets reborn as something else, or it gains new support for a new model after the merger, I’d say the sun is not only setting for it, but the gravitationally-challenged lady is warming up her vocal chords.

Ryan, Donte Lindsey and pug-man like this.
  8. hmk123

Level III Supporter

The idea was that anything CUV/SUV sells best under the Jeep brand. If that is not really the case one wonders if these could have been sold as Chrysler and given that brand at least one or two additional vehicles. Just some food for thought...

#48 hmk123, Jan 5, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
    UN4GTBL, wtxiceman, Tony K and 3 others like this.
  9. Matthew

Matthew Is pushing for progress!

But the real question is profit per vehicle, as noted similarly equipped Jeeps sell at a premium over non Jeeps. I also think that as hybrids hit the line up (as they are poised to) that will boost sales to for those that want a basic 4WD for read use but with higher MPG. The Cherokee is doing just fine, as is the rest of the Jeep lineup. one down year after a refreshed model came it is not the end of the world. I feel that if they had done the 2020 as an early release sales for the Cherokee would have been higher, as they would have had a new model year out. That and similarly equipped Cherokees are priced at least a couple thousand more then the Rav4.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  10. gforce2002

gforce2002 Well-Known Member

HotCarNut likes this.
  11. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

Cherokee restyle really didn't address the funky look. Compass needs a better more powerful engine. The Renegade, well I'm not sure about it unless it's turbo engine isn't big enough.

Donte Lindsey and jclick like this.
  12. hmk123

Level III Supporter

While I actually like the Renegade the problem with vehicles like it (and the Compass) is that when you add a bunch of options and tech you are not too far off from a larger vehicle and might as well get that unless you want to really get a small car (e.g. city life).

Tony K likes this.
  13. JKU12

JKU12 Well-Known Member

Time to make Cherokee less of a commodity and more of a Jeep!

UN4GTBL, Tony K and Zagnut27 like this.
  14. FreeLantz

FreeLantz Well-Known Jeeper

Today on Good Morning America they made quite a big deal about Ram overtaking GM for the number two best-selling pickup spot. Most of us saw it coming all year, but I guess to outsiders it's a surprise.

15. Mr.Source

Level III Supporter

As I keep saying, the Pacifica Is not a good seller, its below of expectations.
    But whats the real problem with It?
    Quality problema.
    Reliability.
    Price.
    DESIGN.

According to some dealers, all those aré playing in the decisión to buy a Pacífica.
    Dealers also said, the design of the Honda minivan has been an important factor.
    Customers keep saying its nicer than the Pacifica.
    Customers still think the Pacifica has an old design, It comes from the 200 who wasnt good at all, same goes with the trae tailamps and C pillard.
    The 2007 Chrysler minivan was mucho nicer AND still looks good.

16. serpens

serpens Well-Known Member

I thought the 2007 breadbox minivans were quite ugly. And they were certainly cheaply made.

The Honda Odyssey sales haven't been lighting the sales floor on fire either for the record. The Pacifica outsold it the last two years and only lost by 1,318 units this year.

Mr. Fusion and UN4GTBL like this.
  17. codypet

codypet Well-Known Member

2007 was the last of the bubble minivans. 2008 was the breadbox. It's subjective. IMO the bubble generations (96-00 and 01-07) I didn't particularly care for. IMO the 91-95 generation was the best looking. The current Pacifica styling-wise is fine, but that rendering of the refresh is promising.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  18. BASONE88

Supporter

[​IMG] images.jpg
    The 2008 Caravan was "retro" (in the spirit of e-thing up to that point by Chryco). Also, it was the 25th anniversary of "The Minivan."

19. page2171

page2171 Well-Known Member

Did you catch that the least "Jeep-like" vehicles in the lineup are the ones that have seen the steep declines? Not only Cherokee, but Renegade and Compass are down double digits percentages for the year.

Doug D and Zagnut27 like this.
  20. JKU12

JKU12 Well-Known Member

Yep. More competition from commodity players. Plus, they are older and getting a little more stale.