AF: Chrysler US sales, 2019 as a whole: some surprises | Page 4 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chrysler US sales, 2019 as a whole: some surprises

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by Dave Z, Jan 3, 2020.

1. Tony K

Tony K Active Member

I wouldn't say that's the full story. Jeep makes the most money either because of brand identity or capability (which is part of brand ID). At some point, you pretty much have to start bringing out Chrysler and Dodge SUVs and CUVs, as not everyone wants a Jeep, not everyone wants to pay for the Jeep brand or capes. Not everyone wants the real world penalties that Jeep capabilities bring with it, namely fuel economy penalties due to weight and power train setup. FCA was just working in a budget constrained environment, so that required hard choices that not everyone appreciates, because THEIR favorite brand was hurt by it.

Jeeps sell at a premium over most other SUVs, but not everyone is in the market for a Jeep. The market bears that out.

The 200 was a good vehicle. Could have been better, but I question the statement "200 wasn't good at all?" It had the rear headroom issue, but that wasn't unusual in that class, TBH. You'd have to be phenominal in that class to compete with the Asians. I don't agree Pacifica isn't a good seller. It's not a GREAT seller, no, and won't be as a premium product, especially with the old Caravan selling for much less. The design is definitely not the problem, unless exterior size is a concern, perhaps, and style, seriously, that's subjective anyway. BR Rams were polarizing. You either LOVE that truck, or you hate it. Pacifica had some serious quality execution issues early on that seemed to linger, but for how long, IDK. And NO, the old Chysler T&C was not a nicer vehicle, or at least you are going to get plenty of disagreement with THAT statement.

Dave Z, jclick, ScramFan and 6 others like this.
  2. Mr.Source

Level III Supporter

The 200 was not a good one, we had many transmission problems, also we has electrical issues, gremlins and More.
    About the Pacifica besides customers complaints, we aré still having repairs under warranty, etc.
    I cant say its a reliable vehicle.
    Dealers keep saying the reasons why they are not selling more of them.
    Customers are considering also the Honda Minivan, and many are buying them.
    Styling of the Honda has been one of the main reasons why they bought It, AND also many customers dont like the 200 front end of the Pacifica, others say the Pacifica tailamps look a lot like the 2012 Durango, of which clincs said consumer didnt like the looks of those tailamps.
    About the look of the Town & Country, the best looking was the 2007, AND the worst looking Is the 2008.
    Its not my opinion, consumer opinions.

3. JKU12

JKU12 Well-Known Member

From a looks standpoint, I have no idea how anyone could prefer Odyssey over Pacifica. Pacific is leaps and bounds better looking IMO. Yes, I know, looks are subjective. Hondas though are usually not lookers, and this is no exception.

jclick, Mr. Fusion, Chebby7 and 9 others like this.
  4. voiceofstl

voiceofstl Well-Known Member

and the Compass is a good 6 grand less then a C-RV or Rav4

Tony K likes this.
  5. codypet

codypet Well-Known Member

I didn't realized how close those cars looked. Its amazing how many tiny details they bungled in the 2008 models to make it just ugly enough.

Yes the Honda is ugly but those Honda transmissions in the heavier cars scare the crap out of me. I know that's the case for a lot of people. And the Sienna. No just no. So you that leaves you with the Pacifica and DGC. Let's see how this refresh pans out.

eastcoaster, page2171, Tony K and 4 others like this.
  6. valiant67

valiant67 ...

2008, in my opinion, was a poor tribute to the styling of the 84-90 and 91-95 minivans.
    Pacifica, in my opinion, is a poor tribute to the styling of the 96-00 and the 01-07 minivans.
    Neither attempt looked as good as the original design.

7. FreeLantz

FreeLantz Well-Known Jeeper

There is really only so much you can do with styling on a minivan.

8. Tony K

Tony K Active Member

Again, looks being subjective, the Pacifica IMHO is tons better looking than its predecessor.

9. Mr.Source

Level III Supporter

Maybe Honda got some transmission problems BUT dealers took care of those under warranty, they didnt act like FCA likes to do it, and the Honda according to clinics Is nicer, better executed.
    Chrysler still fights with a bad reputation.

gforce2002 likes this.
  10. codypet

codypet Well-Known Member

They kinda had to.
    Honda Odyssey Minivans Recalled for Rollaway Risk (at https://www.consumerreports.org/car-recalls-defects/honda-odyssey-minivan-recalled-for-rollaway-risk/ )

That said, the older transmission didn't necessarily get taken care of
    Used Honda Odyssey: Buy This Year, Not That One! (at https://www.cartalk.com/blogs/car-talk-car-complaints/used-honda-odyssey-buy-year-not-one )
    2002 Honda Odyssey Transmission Failure | Page 2 (at https://www.carcomplaints.com/Honda/Odyssey/2002/transmission/transmission_failure-2.shtml#97 )

ScramFan likes this.
  11. ShawnP

ShawnP Active Member

Let's salute Ram trucks.

Between Canada, Mexico and the United States.

730k plus in sales.

Wow.

Mike Manley said last year that FCA would look at expanding Ram production if sales continue to grow.

Well the UAW/FCA contract included a extra 1.3 billion for Warren truck.

Is this the expanded production?

Tony K likes this.
  12. Mr.Source

Level III Supporter

13. BASONE88

Supporter

images (1).jpg download.jpg
    Pacifica is "retro" with a nod to the '69 Dodge Charger Daytona.;)

AvengerGuy, eastcoaster and page2171 like this.
  14. Mr. Fusion

Mr. Fusion Active Member

If anybody tells you that they bought a Honda minivan based on looks alone, then go ahead and chalk them up as being an unreliable narrator.

People buy them because they are Hondas. Which is fine! But the Odyssey has long been an exceptionally unattractive vehicle, in a segment that is not known for attractive vehicles. I would say that the most recent refresh brings it all the way up to "at least it's not embarrassingly bad".

(Also, in the ultimate irony, the Odyssey took quite the reputational hit in recent years, thanks to a certain infamous ZF transmission. I believe they are now shipping with a Honda-built 10-speed, but I'm not positive about that.)

JKU12, Dave Z, FreeLantz and 2 others like this.
  15. Tony K

Tony K Active Member

The consumer likes the Honda because that's how he's been conditioned.

AvengerGuy, T_690 and djsamuel like this.
  16. Mr.Source

Level III Supporter

?

17. Ryan

Staff Member Level III Supporter

Both are compromised. The Compass has a gutless engine and generally lacks refinement while the Cherokee has a small interior for its size and the design leaves a lot to be desired.

ehaase, page2171, thebluegoat and 2 others like this.
  18. jclick

jclick Well-Known Member

That conditioning is from years and years of reliable cars being built. A few bad transmissions won’t deter people from an overall reliable brand. On the flip side, a few great cars won’t convince people that a less than stellar brand is now as good or better than the Honda. It takes a long time and dedication. Hyundai dug itself out of the dirt by making solid quality gains. Chrysler can do the same. They have to get consistent with quality.

wvutuba, Tony K, Zagnut27 and 3 others like this.
  19. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

“A few bad transmissions” is now something like ten years worth of the worst transmissions of any minivan...

Pacifica, Sienna, and Odyssey have similar prices, last time I looked.

Tony K, djsamuel and HoboChangba like this.
  20. jclick

jclick Well-Known Member

Again, one model, one supposed problem, no news about it beyond sites like this. The rest of the lineup continues to shine. Reputation unharmed.

i personal prefer the Pacifica over the Odyssey. The Pacifica is awesome in S trim. But won’t be in the market for another minivan for a long long time

#80 jclick, Jan 9, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2020