AF: Chrysler US sales, 2019 as a whole: some surprises | Page 5 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chrysler US sales, 2019 as a whole: some surprises

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by Dave Z, Jan 3, 2020.

1. serpens

serpens Well-Known Member

I will also note Honda owners are not happy about the Odyssey’s problematic infotainment system. That was the major reason Consumer Reports gave it an average reliability rating.

jclick likes this.
  2. codypet

codypet Well-Known Member

It was a widespread problem in their heavier vehicles. The Pilot suffered from it as well as did the early 00's accords.
    Problems With the Honda Pilot (at https://itstillruns.com/problems-honda-pilot-5615030.html )

HoboChangba likes this.
  3. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

Not just one model. It affected other models, too. As for “supposed” problem with “no news about it beyond sites like this,” ... all I can say is you didn't look very hard, or have no memory.

Tony K, HoboChangba and tlc like this.
  4. djsamuel

Level 2 Supporter

I've personally dealt with those crap Honda transmissions. In addition a friend of mine is on his fourth in his 02 Accord. He thinks it is no problem and can't understand why I'm only on my second in my PT with 452,000 miles. A search for Honda transmissions on Google will bring up a lot of hits.

HoboChangba, tlc and Dave Z like this.
  5. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

A lot of it has to do with dealer treatment; the rest is just misplaced trust..,

6. wvutuba

wvutuba Well-Known Member

I really don't care what other automakers are having issues with. I prefer to buy FCA (well, C) vehicles. At the end of the day, I know FCA could be doing better, but I don't believe they have made the commitment to doing so yet.

Now if you excuse me, I have to go home and install weatherstripping to the inside of my JK door frames because apparently 5 years is the lifespan of the factory equipment and I'm getting a little tired of the puddle on my floor mats.

7. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

The JL Mopar floormats come with built-in drain holes!

As the saying goes: if you can’t beat’em, join’em. :D

wvutuba likes this.
  8. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

That misplaced trust may be eroding. As I recall, Honda was middle of the pack for the JD Power rankings that you recently posted in one of the threads. My, how the mighty have fallen....

Tony K and aldo90731 like this.
  9. valiant67

valiant67 ...

It’s an odd thing. It seems easier to climb to the top of the heap than to stay there. The sad part is very, very few of the people who become disenchanted with Honda or Toyota will do anything than switch to the other of those two brands.

Mr. Fusion, Doug D and Zagnut27 like this.
  10. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

How many times do we see quality/process improvement/customer service initiatives that show results, only to be forgotten once the next new manager is hired or a new directive comes down from upper management? If it’s only driven by personnel, and not seen as ingrained in the fabric of a corporation, it won’t have the same staying power.

For Toyota & Honda, they’ve put a lot of time and effort into developing their reputations and it has paid off even when they’re not living up to those reputations. For the most part, the big 3 American corporations have not devoted the same consistent effort, over time. Sure, they’ve had their moments, but the general public doesn’t trust them to maintain it like they do with Toyota & Honda. Whether it’s deserved or not is an entirely different story.

I’ve posted this a few times, but “give a man a reputation as an early riser, and he can sleep ‘till noon.”—Mark Twain

Tony K, tlc, gforce2002 and 4 others like this.
  11. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

Judging by the rankings of the past few years, GM appears to have taken quality to heart. Still, it will take them years to convince everyone that they take quality seriously. In fact, for decades Buick has sat in the Top 3 of the dependability charts and hardly anyone noticed.

I think GM’s problem is that its products don’t look and feel high quality, even if they last. Their designs suck. Period.

Mr. Fusion and link3721 like this.
  12. JKU12

JKU12 Well-Known Member

Agree with that. Interior designing always feels especially cheap.

aldo90731 likes this.
  13. hmk123

Level III Supporter

Personally I have always liked the interiors of the latest Buicks.

I was just at our local auto show yesterday. Dodge had no widebody Charger there, only 2019s. Sad. Big show attractions were the C8, GT500 and Mache-E. All locked of course.

So I am the one usually saying people blow interiors out of proportions. But I sat in a $60k Ford Explorer ST yesterday and could not believe how cheap the plastic around the center vents were. A Jeep GC for $10k less has a nicer interior.

I also thought the new Sonata interior was just ok. The Stinger seems above average. So do some of the newer Genesis feel like. Unfortunately I didn’t sit in any of the Lincolns or Audis.

FCA should have tried harder in my opinion at the show.

14. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

What auto show is this?

15. hmk123

Level III Supporter

Silicon Valley (San Jose). One of those local "new" car shows...

aldo90731 likes this.
  16. Ryan

Staff Member Level III Supporter

Chevy, specifically, needs a design consult. The Blazer design works on that one particular vehicle IMO, but transplanting it onto anything else is going to be an issue. Take a look at the gawky design of the new Trailblazer. The current Equinox also has a strange narrow/tall appearance that isn't going to mesh well with a Blazer/Camaro-inspired front design. Traverse might be okay with the new front end, we'll see soon enough.

The interiors are the real issue though. Using the Blazer as an example, prices can top $50k and you still have cheap plastics throughout and faux-leather door inserts that don't fit as well as they should. I can't pretend the other American brands are any better in that regard, though.

17. codypet

codypet Well-Known Member

I'm happy Chevy's doing this. They're polarizing their styling to super ugly and insulting the consumer with their commercials trying to make us believe that "real people" think that hideous thing is good looking. Maybe they're trying to drive people to GMC, but those people will go to Ford or Jeep if they want a domestic SUV that doesn't offend the eyes.

tlc, Zagnut27, Chase300 and 2 others like this.
  18. Ryan

Staff Member Level III Supporter

My favorite is still the one where the lady "guesses" that the Malibu is in the $80k price range based on its design.

19. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

I agree. GM needs a new head of design.

BTW, I don’t know why Chevrolet is stuck on that split grille. At a time when everyone is going with a bigger, bolder front opening, Chevrolet insists on sticking a stupid bar across it.

Looks like it is wearing retainers!

Runs Deep?
    [​IMG]

Ryan and Zagnut27 like this.
  20. Tony K

Tony K Active Member

That's where top level management and succession planning are crucial. A friend of mine from church was a VP of HR for Brown-Forman after a stint in the Navy. He said too many places don't know how to find good quality people or just don't want to do the hard work to look for them, and instead rely on the B.S. industrial-process resume search to do talent management. His example of how to find good employees for skilled trades was hard to forget. If you want good barrelmakers in Kentucky for bourbon, who would you look at in the Louisville area to be able to learn that skillset? UPS's Worldport at SDF (Louisville Int'l Airport), because their line employees have skills involving hand and eye coordination that transfer well to cooperage, which is a better job all around. He also made mention that he'd talk to his maintenance and production guys about looking for new hires from other companies by having them ask their suppliers and servicers about who they thought were the best companies that used their products/services. I wish I had met him 20 years ago. He seems to be a wealth of knowledge on best practices in HR.

TheViking and Zagnut27 like this.