Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chrysler's Anti-Panamera : FireFlite 300 (Sports Sedan)

Discussion in 'Photo and Video Lab' started by JavelinAMX, May 3, 2015.

1. JavelinAMX

JavelinAMX Well-Known Member

With JackRatchett's permission ( Thank you, Jack :) )

Re-think the Chrysler 300 into a refined, bona fide sport sedan at a level noticeably above what the Chrysler 300 has been.

Above the capable SRT Hemi, sport-tuned suspension, think of what a superior sports coupe would be ... but allow greater access and just the right amount of interior space.

The name is derived 100% in-house and this profile lives up to the potential. The FireFlite 300.

Thoughts?

[​IMG]

Shane Estabrooks and Morty like this.
  2. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

I think I'd hit my head on the roof, in the back seat. (I'm also not fond of the shooting brake style but that's just me. It's a beautiful rendering in general.)

3. Jackratchett

Level III Supporter

Lol, Only if you would hit your head in a Panamera. ;)
    The cab of the FireFlite 300 is laid over a Panamera to help with proportions. It is basically what Randy asked for, a FirePower style Sport Sedan.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Shane Estabrooks likes this.
  4. HotCarNut

HotCarNut Defender of Reality
    Level III Supporter

I'd move the rear axle back about 4 inches and smooth the rear-end styling a bit (pretty rounded horizontally right now with super-stretched tail lights). I would also move the A-pillar forward about 6 inches putting it closer to where it is today in order to make ingress and egress easier for the front seat. Not sure about the engineering you'd need for the crash structure in the B-pillar and doors since you went with a suicide setup, but I love the concept.

For the record, I'm a fan of the "coupe" and "shooting brake" sedan trends, but it's all going to come down to interior room and performance. If it's going to be cramped but stunningly beautiful (a la Aston Martin's Rapide) then it needs to perform like a driver's car. Porsche struck a balance with the Panamera, but the styling truly is awkward.

Jackratchett likes this.
  5. Jackratchett

Level III Supporter

Should have mentioned earlier that the FireFlite 300 does have a "B" pillar, whereas the handle on the rear door is just a popper and the door opens in the traditional way. Originally the "A" pillar was further forward but then pulled back along with stretching the tail end to give it more of an exotic look (and keep the quarter panels from looking massive like the Chronos). Totally agree with you on your suggested changes and thank you for the input. :)

6. JavelinAMX

The FireFlite 300 shows that there remains some Chrysler styles which can be leveraged in more than one way. But beyond that, the NAFTA region is getting platforms from the offices in Turin and applying them here (with help from Chrysler engineers). We, here in NAFTA, could likely apply some styling swagger and gravitas in the other direction by such examples as what Jack Ratchett supplied with this car - a Chrysler 300 appeal, but expressed with the noticeable bite of the Firepower .

Lee N. Burns likes this.
  7. dana44

Ad-Free Member

I like the Chronos a lot. Between the low slung, extra door opening area over the windows, to the actual trunk shape in the rear, there is just more style to it, almost timeless as far as I am concerned. She could be a late 50s futuristic car, or a new one for 2016.

8. JavelinAMX

Chrysler concepts were pretty nice, actually.

But with the FireFlite 300 taking the FirePower into the sport sedan arena, that makes it an adaptation (well, technically an adaptation of a concept). But with a tricked-out Hemi, 8-speed Auto Trans, good aero, it would not be confused with Alfa or Maserati - yet suggest some capable performance. I don't think there's a Ford, Chevrolet, Buick or Cadillac quite like it. So it would stand alone in the domestic space.

9. dana44

Ad-Free Member

Yes, I can see that, and agree it would be in a class of its own, maybe what I don't overly care about the shape is the fastback, but a short trunk that connected the line between the hoodline and the rear, not quite as large as the Chronos, to me it just looks like they didn't know what to do with the rear and just decided to make it a fastback (no offense, Jackratchett). If we couldn't get the FirePower in a 2door, why would be get it as a 4door?

10. JavelinAMX

They didn't contemplate a Viper-stretch with V8 power. Viper=10Cyl . The FireFlite 300 exercise is a 'What if Chrysler re-cast the 300 into a Sport Sedan' starting from a Sports car and moving closer into sedan territory, instead of a family car with performance gear grafted on ( we already know what a 300 SRT can do).

11. dana44

Ad-Free Member

I understand what you are saying, but a sport sedan does not have to be a fastback, either. A rear window that comes down and a small trunk area, in my personal opinion, would both be a sport sedan, and a little classier looking like a luggage bonnet trunk.

12. JavelinAMX

The compromise between your explanation and JackRatchett's rendition being something somewhat similar to this -

The Ferrari 250 GT Breadwagon (you'll have to squint a bit to get the gist of what I'm saying) :

[​IMG]

13. dana44

Ad-Free Member

Yeaaah,.....no, that looks like something Bubba would do to one in the south (my apology to Bubba down in the south)...

14. Jackratchett

Level III Supporter

A better example might be something like a 65 Mustang fastback or a litlle less, the 68 Barracuda, (Fastback/short trunk)
    [​IMG]

freshforged likes this.
  15. dana44

Ad-Free Member

And with the roundiness of the Panamera type rear end, it would give it more of a classy look over the total fastback design. Nice 68, and thanks Jackratchett, and at the same time, do you understand what I am saying about the rear end? A two door, no problem, a 4door, not so much.

16. JavelinAMX

Not real sure Bubba can relate to Kammtail design.

No doubt but that Bubba knows his Chevy BelAire's and his Ford Fairlanes, but I wouldn't put money on him knowing the Euro racers of the same era (Alfa, Ferrari or Maserati each with a Kammback).

17. dana44

Ad-Free Member

Sorry, a 2door Ferrari Hearse doesn't do it for me, haha.

18. JavelinAMX

Each to his own :)

However, those Kammback cars will get from point A to point B faster and more efficiently while looking a bit unusual. { I'm supposing from this you're not a Station Wagon guy }.

#18 JavelinAMX, May 11, 2015
    Last edited: May 11, 2015
  19. dana44

Ad-Free Member

My first car was a 1960 Ford Falcon 2door station wagon, which my parents sold about six months after I started driving. It was a nice and small car that could take a full sheet of plywood inside the back with the tailgate closed. Not into SUVs or station wagons (or minivans really), so Suburbans, Expeditions, but for some reason the Durango does appeal to me a little bit (it has shape to it), this shape shows no class or elegance, or even thought into design after the B pillar (or does the B pillar become the C pillar?). Besides, aren't the aerodynamics a little sucky when it is this bad in the back?

20. JavelinAMX

Boy, the 1960's brings back memories ...

As for the Aero - No, not actually. Kamm (the automotive engineer) did aero studies very early on. He came up with the Kamm tail/back profile where the aero qualities dictated the basic shape of the car for efficiency ( basically : form follows function type approach). It amounts to a wider, lower wedge-like front coupled with a higher narrower rear ( and it had to be squared-off / truncated in the back ) was an optimized shape. Not necessarily the optimum for all automobiles everywhere for all time, but an efficient shape to lower required horsepower and reduce turbulence/drag.

Cars that took that seriously were Citroen (and a bunch more, but many of the cars bearing Citroen styling showed one form or another of the Kammback ideal). A few of 'our' cars were Kammback : AMC Gremlin, for starters, Omni/Horizon and such like.