Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chrysler's Anti-Panamera : FireFlite 300 (Sports Sedan)

Discussion in 'Photo and Video Lab' started by JavelinAMX, May 3, 2015.

1. dana44

Ad-Free Member

Yes, it is fine for downforce, but you have to have a good amount of hp to start with and keeping the rear tires on the ground are a priority, the front end dictates the same, keep wind from going under the car so it doesn't fly (think Pantera, the flying car). And yeah, maybe you don't need elephant ear side mirrors to see back because you can't turn and see out the rear window, backup cameras help with that, but just like catching something that rips off your side mirror, what happens if the backup camera goes bad? Short of having someone stick their head out the side window (always filling the shotgun position), until you get it fixed, you are screwed. I always believe, if the front of the vehicle is aerodynamic and checked for things which knowingly catch air and builds up as speed increases, the rear end will take care of itself in a car.

2. JavelinAMX

JavelinAMX Well-Known Member

Forgot about the Panteras ... good point! { By the way, the AMX/3 concept car lifted way too much for the same reason - that would've been a nice sport coupe }.

Your other good point involves exterior rear-view mirrors. I also wonder when we'll see Back-up type video cameras taking the place of rear-view mirrors, since the exterior mirrors are another source of parasitic drag. Flat screens on the top of the instrument panel set at key places would help keep your eyes more forward where the traffic is and would serve better than having to turn so far left or so far right to catch a glimpse of what's immediately behind you. I'd bet that would improve safety while eliminating drag that we usually have to deal with. The third thing that would accomplish is the negative effects of line-of-sight blind spots; which I'd think would be an overall positive in favor of designing a car with that as a feature ... and Way better than someone sticking their head out the side window :).

3. Cornupenuria

Cornupenuria Active Member

4. dana44

Ad-Free Member

See, now the wheel arches and a rear end/trunk area similar to this would be a mighty Dodge or Chrysler. I would call the Maserati a classy looking car, the Fireflite with a rear closer to this (which is what I have been talking about) and the cool rear wheel arches, would just look Mopar powerful.

5. Jackratchett

Level III Supporter

Tweaked
    "A" post moved forward, door lenthened, rounded tail shortened, decklid added, 1/4 panel lengthened
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. dana44

Ad-Free Member

Yes, that gives it a little bit more "class" as a "sport sedan", and I like the way the rear window angle connects to the seam on the bumper. Outstanding job getting rid of that "fat butt" look, it is more "sculpted", like more thought went into the rear of the car.

Big thumbs up.

Jackratchett likes this.
  7. JavelinAMX

JavelinAMX Well-Known Member

I really like the Maserati's . Were it the case that money would not be a factor, I'd prefer the styling of the Maser's over the 300.

I prefer the Jack's original fastback styling; but this update is not a deal-breaker. It still looks good.

Jackratchett likes this.
  8. Jackratchett

Level III Supporter

IMO, The fastback rings in sportier and more exotic and the large rounded tail makes it edgier while the 2nd rendering would probably be less expensive to build and more mainstream, but it is all a matter of taste.

JavelinAMX likes this.
  9. Cornupenuria

Cornupenuria Active Member

To Anglophones "quattroporte" sounds so much more exotic than "four door." I wonder what it would look like with a slightly downsized Chrysler 300 grille.

Jackratchett likes this.
  10. dana44

Ad-Free Member

Kind of like back in the Jaguar XKE (I think ) era of the late 60s, early 70s, the big round bubble rear end may be desirable now, I think the little trunk back is a little more appealing to those in their 40s and 50s (you know, the ones that can afford to buy it) like to have a place to put the golf clubs if nothing else. I think the trunk gives it a little more functionality, and I really like the rear wheel flare, gives it that healthy, muscular look. Thanks for doing it.

Jackratchett likes this.
  11. freshforged

freshforged Well-Known Member

My fondest childhood memory is of falling as sleep while laying in the back of our manta green 68Barracuda fastback, listening/feeling the road rumble away the miles and watching the stars in the night sky.

12. james.mooney.

james.mooney. The Poster Formerly Known As "Bethlumboy"

I know that I am in the minority on this, but I love the Porsche Panamera. If I ever won the lottery, it would be my first purchase.

Also, my heart skips a beat every time I see the Chrysler Chronos Concept. I've long thought that, were Chrysler to move upmarket, a modernized and somewhat more practical (taller greenhouse) interpretation of this design on the Quattroporte's architecture would make a fantastic Chrysler Imperial flagship.

Finally, I am a big fan of the 2004 Chevrolet Nomad Concept. I think that its shape and layout on SUSW or CUSW would make a great C-segment Chrysler 100.

[​IMG]

(It should come as no surprise that I drove a black PT Cruiser GT for over 11 years!)

#32 james.mooney., Jul 28, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
    wtxiceman likes this.
  13. Morty

Morty Active Member

james.mooney. likes this.
  14. james.mooney.

james.mooney. The Poster Formerly Known As "Bethlumboy"

15. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Valued Member
    Level III Supporter

idea%20cars%20page13.jpg
    Chrysler GS-1 from 1954 Paris auto show

16. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Valued Member
    Level III Supporter

idea%20cars%20page15.jpg
    Chrysler D'Elegance from 1950's

17. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Valued Member
    Level III Supporter

idea%20cars%20page14.jpg
    Desoto Adventurer from the 1950's

18. AvengerGuy

AvengerGuy Active Member

The Chrysler D'Elegance and DeSoto Adventurer both exhibit a great classic style. Really love both of them.