Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chrysler's history in the Nascar Truck series

Discussion in 'Historical' started by Beentherebefore, Mar 29, 2014.

1. DC-93

DC-93 Active Member

I agree that when there is a level playing field, MoPars rise to the top, thereby tipping the field and drawing "sanctions" to slow them down.
    I would like to see data with $$$ spent on advertising vs $$$ spent to field competitive vehicles.

I know there are folks that specialize in coming up with a dollars spent number for being seen on TV for a period of time.

2. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Yes, Jayski's occasionally has links to Julius and Sports Business Journal articles with that type of information. Next time I see something I'll post it in one of the pertinent threads in the main motorsports section.

3. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Valued Member
    Level III Supporter

IMG_1088.JPG IMG_1089.JPG
    Petty Truck Racing jacket from the very beginning when the program was known as "Run With the Ram" sponsored by Cummins.

4. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

I originally had posted this picture on post #21 of this thread but it seems to have "timed out". We're trying a different method of posting which, hopefully, will stay on this thread.

I couldn't find a non-copyrighted picture of this truck so I'm posting this (pretty realistic) die cast model of it being offered on e-Bay.

This is the truck that won the first Nascar race for Dodge in the Nascar Truck series. It was driven to victory by Tony Raines @ I-70 Speedway in Missouri on 5 -24- 97, one of only two races won by Dodges that year (Bob Keselowski won the other one at Richmond later in the year).

tonyrainestruckScan.jpg

5. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Looks like these pictures which I had originally placed in posts #1 and #2 of this thread also got timed out so we'll try posting by another method.

Autographed track publicity card handout which Mrs. BTB picked up @ the Bakersfield truck race in 1997.

keselowskiautotruckScan.jpg keselowskiautotruck2Scan.jpg

6. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Mrs BTB picked up this autographed track handout @ the Bakersfield Nascar Craftsman Truck series race in 2001. Things really began to look up for Mopar after this driver, Joe Ruttman, joined their Bobby Hamilton owned team.
    Ruttman led 63 laps of the 200 lap race and ran with the lead pack all race. He looked like he was out for a Sunday afternoon drive as he tracked through the corners - for most of the race he was the only lead pack driver that wasn't hanging the rear end of the truck out while exiting the turns. Nevertheless, towards the end of the race his tires began to give out and he ended up 6th @ the finish. The race was won by Ted Musgrave in the #1 Mopar Performance backed truck of Jim Smith.

rutmancardScan.jpg

7. HoboChangba

HoboChangba Member

I for one was really pissed when Dodge let Keselowski's team go. They stayed with Mopar when even they left track racing (non-drag) and won Arca championships and dirt-track championships (they built a ton of engines used in dirt / sprint cars).

They were promised a cup team (two in fact) and Dennis Setzer was to be the the top driver but of course Chrysler reneges. Always wondered why that was. Geez you'd have thought that Chrysler would provide them some decent uniforms for god's sake.

8. HoboChangba

HoboChangba Member

Yep when Dodge went truck racing they got NOTHING from Nascar. It was all Hendrick /Roush and Dodge was told to suck it up and get better. It took a bit of time (especially so considering they weren't running in the other series) but once they got up to snuff they were an organization to be reckoned with. Then the crying came in by GM / Ford and all the threats of pulling out so they made it harder and harder on Dodge to the point where the driver's said the trucks were unsafe to drive and just pulled out.

Broke my heart for sure. I wished they had stayed at least in the truck series. It wouldn't cost them that much to put together a couple of teams especially with the lack of competitiveness right now.

It's pretty much a Toyota spec series for all intents and purposes at this point.

9. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Valued Member
    Level III Supporter

The main reason we left the Truck racing program was because John Fernandez, who was head of Motorsports at the time, told the Germans he could use the money being spent on the Truck program for the Cup program, if the Germans didn't want to continue racing in the Truck series. The Germans really didn't care to be involved in NASCAR racing, especially the Truck series so they said yes and that was that. Don't forget, the dealers got us back in NASCAR because they offered to give $25 or $50, I forget which, for every car and truck sold to pay for it.

HoboChangba likes this.
  10. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

I'll bet if you asked those dealers now, they would be very glad to fork over that $25 or $50/vehicle sold (and probably even $100) to get their vehicles back into Nascar racing. Heck, back in the Chrysler performance heydays, they didn't have to work very hard to sell me (or many others) a vehicle. I wanted to own & drive what was winning on the Nascar tracks and piling up victories in other major US racing series.

I was under the impression that it was the Germans that OK'd Dodge's re-entry into Nascar Cup racing - at least that was what was being reported at the time. I distinctly remember that Dieter Zeitsche (sp?) was at the Cup race to congratulate Sterlin' Marlin when he drove his Dodge to their first victory after re-entering the Cup series in 2001. That's a big difference compared to the current head of the company who couldn't even bother to show up when Brad Keselowski brought Dodge the Nascar Cup championship in 2012. If the Germans were "unenthused" about Nascar participation, the Italians are downright hostile.

dyslexic teddybear and GaryS like this.
  11. DC-93

DC-93 Active Member

The dealers are too busy selling cars and trucks hand over fist to even think about Nascar!!
    On the 5th of January, they will release sales figures for 2014. It'll be interesting to see how badly sales are down without Nascar! (lol!!!)

:D

12. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Valued Member
    Level III Supporter

Of course they had to approve it but don't forget they had just taken us over in 1998 and this all happened in 1999
    Yes they did approve it but they weren't crazy about the idea. When they announced it at a big meeting at the Tech Center Dieter Zetsche was all pumped up about it and put on a good show explaining how it would benefit the company, etc.

13. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

That sounds to me like at least the German's head man over here was crazy about the idea ;).

14. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

They could sell even more if they would enhance their "performance" image by participating in major US motorsports series. To me, for one. When they were rolling up their glorious racing history back in the 60s and early 70s, our family owned 5 Mopars between us all, and we were proud to own them. Now we are down to one and I won't buy another one from Chrysler until they greatly increase their motorsports participation - particularly in Nascar. My daily driver is now a Honda (US built). Besides their quality reputation, I appreciate Honda's efforts to not give a free pass to "Brand C" in the IRL series.

15. DC-93

DC-93 Active Member

Yeah - I was there for that. And then they methodically cheapened up the cars... You know the rest of the story... :eek:

16. DC-93

DC-93 Active Member

I'm not a "fair racing friend". I have never owned a non Chrysler product - racing in Nascar or not. And that goes for the entire family... :cool:

danbek likes this.
  17. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Valued Member
    Level III Supporter

Same here.................70 years old and have only owned CHRYSLER products my whole life. Nothing to do with racing. I supported who I worked for and so do both of my sons and their families and they don't work for Chrysler.

danbek likes this.
  18. DC-93

DC-93 Active Member

So you all had MoPars until Chrysler walked from Nascar? That's how I read this...

19. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Actually I kept buying Mopars long after they dropped out of Nascar in 1978 because they continued to support guys I knew in NHRA through their "Direct Connection" program........and in the hope that they would return to Nascar. There were rumors that Chrysler was looking at doing exactly that in the late 80s with LeBaron race cars (discussed on other historical threads). I finally gave up in the early 90s ("Direct Connection" had also withered and died by that time) and started buying Hondas because of their reliability record, recommendations from friends (some of whom had also owned Mopars), and the fact that Honda would not give "Brand C" a free ride in IRL. That Honda is still my daily driver. When Chrysler returned to Nascar in 2001, we celebrated by buying a Jeep GC from them. Still have it but it is getting long in the tooth now & showing it's age with a myriad of problems. This is probably going to be the year it gets sold or traded. I have a friend who is a Mopar dealer and who has sold us at least a half dozen cars over the years and I have told him no more sales till Mopar gets back into major US racing series big-time. Dealer pressure was what got them back into Nascar in 2001 and I'm hoping that it will work again. I want to see some on the racetrack "performance" from the "affordable performance" brand and see them kick some "Brand C" tail, as I know they are capable of if they put the effort into it.

Yes, you probably could classify me as a "fair racing friend" then, but neither I or anyone in my family worked for Chrysler. My Dad switched to Chrysler in the mid 50s because he was an engineer and thought that Chrysler was ahead of everyone else engineeringwise.........and some troubling experiences he had had with "Brand C" products. He had a '66 Chrysler Newport running till just before he died (2004) but the '78 LeBaron he bought my Mom was plagued with quality problems. After that, she demanded (and got) a Lexus and is still driving it.

#59 Beentherebefore, Jan 4, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2015
  20. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Yeah, most of the Mopar interiors looked like taxi cabs 5 or 6 years ago - very unappealing. I do give the Germans credit for something, though. The underpinnings of all the large RWD Mopars come from the prior generation chassis of Mercedes' "E" class which wasn't a cheap vehicle and was highly acclaimed by most automotive writers.

#60 Beentherebefore, Jan 4, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2015