Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chrysler's history in the Nascar Truck series

Discussion in 'Historical' started by Beentherebefore, Mar 29, 2014.

1. DC-93

DC-93 Active Member

What MoPars did you drive from 2001 to 2012, when Chrysler was in Nascar?

2. SE Charger

SE Charger Well-Known Member

From 2001 to 2012 here is a list of Mopars I owned
    81 Mirada CMX (sold it in 2014)
    83 Ram D150 (sold it in 2008)
    91 Daytona Shelby (sold it 2006)
    98 Avenger (traded in on 06 Charger)
    01 Ram 2500 Cumins (traded in on 08 Grand Caravan)
    06 Charger SXT (traded in on 12 Charger)
    08 Grand Caravan (traded up to Grand Caravan SXT)
    08 Grand Caravan SXT (current vehicle)
    12 Charger (current vehicle)

a new Charger and Challenger will be in my future and a Ram (probably used)

3. SE Charger

The mechanics at the dealerships I have spoke to want Dodge to be in Nascar)
    each is entitled to their opinion but I am not sure you are entitled to speak for all the dodge dealers and what they want

4. SE Charger

When I was a kid everyone in my family (I mean almost everyone including Grand Parents, Aunts, Uncles, Cousins etc) owned a Chrysler product. I am related to Walter Briggs who was the owner of Briggs Manufacturing and when Chrysler purchased Briggs in 1953 a lot of my family became Chrysler employees. So we are a Chrysler family. My Dad always owned Dodges so I am a Dodge guy to this day. I learned how to drive the 56 Dodge farm truck, my first love was our 73 Charger (I hope to own one in the future) and when I was growing up Richard Petty was driving a car that looked a lot like ours, the rest is history.

5. SE Charger

It was a sad day when Bobby Hamilton died, there was a guy that got what it meant to be a Dodge guy and he lived it in his racing as a truck series team owner.

6. DC-93

DC-93 Active Member

Easy to say "We want Dodge in Nascar!", when the money doesn't come out of their own pockets. Ask them how much per hour less they would be willing to work for and then see who would sign up!

I was not speaking for any dealer. I was at a full line dealer, before christmas, and there were so many people buying cars, they were waiting in line for sales reps.
    Just a simple observation...

7. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

He was a guy that knew how to make the most-es out of the least(es). He was a master at saving his tires. Just when you thought that he was hopelessly out of the race, he'd come from the back up into the lead pack.

8. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Great for the company if all dealers are experiencing similar. When we bought our first Honda we had to stand in line to pay for it when it came off the truck - like you stand at the checkout line at the supermarket. We had never seen anything like that at a car dealership.

9. dyslexic teddybear

dyslexic teddybear Active Member

Not to offend anyone......this is JMO......

Supporting racing is advertising. Win on Sunday, sell on Monday was never what many thought it was. Richard Petty did not promote the car model that he drove to a win.....he promoted the brand he won in. Just as Brad/Penske promoted Dodge, not Chargers.

ALL advertising $$$ comes from the buyer. All of it. Racing......ridiculous 500 ads.....excellent Dodge Ram ads.....all ultimately come from the buyer.

Racing is important to some of us.......and I do realize branding ads are long term and much harder to quantify, but to me it makes a far bigger, longer lasting impression, then Sam Elliot's most excellent Dodge Ram ads.

One of the biggest bummers about separating Ram.......can you imagine the awesomeness of Sam doing a voice over on a Hellcat ad?

10. HoboChangba

HoboChangba Member

Damn I never knew that. That's very interesting. My point was just as a very involved fan of racing and first and foremost Mopar and all the whining when Dodge was winning championships in the truck series. I know they continually messed with their aero package at that point and the team owners were furious. Also remember GM's top dogs Jack Sprague / Ron Hornaday et al and their owners were threatening to pull out of the series and much ado about nothing when you think about it.

You know how it is in racing; if you are winning the losers swear you are cheating.

Then again nothing about the Germans I hear surprised me anymore. I don't think they liked that Viper being so successful so fast.

Still wish Dodge was racing but as many have said they are done.

11. DC-93

DC-93 Active Member

BTB - just one Jeep from 2001 to 2012 ? You mean 'we' spend ALL that money on Nascar racing and you bought only one vehicle from Chrysler???

12. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

Ha ha. I didn't buy a new Mopar in that period. I did get a used 300M, PT Cruiser, and two minivans. None were Dodges...

13. DC-93

DC-93 Active Member

Hellcats need no advertising...

14. DC-93

DC-93 Active Member

Further proof that Nascar racing Dodges did nothing to get folks to buy them! lol.......................:)

Still waiting for that list of Dodges that BTB bought from 2001 to 2012, when Dodge was in Nascar.......... :(
    Methinks it'll be a long wait.... Guessing - none??

15. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

That was their "reward" from me for getting back into Nascar. Before that, we had "0" Mopars for a number of years. I was p*ssed that they refused to get back into Nascar when they were making big $$$ with their minivans. Iacocca bought a winery instead and wasted resources to try to convince us that he could make the K car into a Maserati.

Would'a bought a Dodge but we needed something big (and high) for Mrs BTB to move her ailing father around in. Look at it this way - Chrysler made a lot more $$$ off of us on that GC than they would have on a Dodge. I didn't mind - figured they'd use the extra bucks we paid to enhance their Nascar programs ;).

#75 Beentherebefore, Jan 9, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2015
  16. DC-93

DC-93 Active Member

One vehicle is better than none...

Maybe you need to buy a bunch of Mopars, so the dealers can again use the $$ to either finance a reentry into Nascar or at least lobby for it. :)

17. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Sorry.......................I tried that when I bought several Mopars in the years 1979 - 1985 due to their long history of factory support of Nascar (and NHRA) in the hope that they would get back into it when they recovered financially. It took them, what...........24 years to finally get back in? I eventually lost patience and went to buy a brand that would not give "Brand C" a free ride in major US racing series (in that case, IRL). I don't have 24 more years left in my lifespan but this time they'll have to get back into Nascar first - then I'll look at what products they can offer me to buy.

18. dyslexic teddybear

Agree, Hellcats do not.

Dodge does.

Seems this is a good example of the difference between target marketing a certain model, and marketing to build a brand.

Something that Toyota and Honda understand very well. The ability to bring the purchaser back.....

For some of us, racing support does that.

Beentherebefore likes this.
  19. dyslexic teddybear

I get it BTB.

I also understand there is many ways to market cars. Everything from [to me] silly/annoying 500 ads to great [to me] Dodge Ram/Sam ads......to sponsoring other venues/events........to racing.......

What I do not understand.......is why racing support is looked down at by many. Here and at the factory level. People point to the lack of upswing of Charger sales from a Cup championship as proof that no one cared.

What they miss........ that championship was NEVER marketed properly to those that didn't already care......

Of course......it's understandable why......hard to publicize a championship when you just cut the team who won it. One tends to look like an idiot when one does that.

Cheer up BTB......we did get to see a Dodge go head to head with brand "C" best.......and beat them.

Oh and just to add.......with me.....Mopar or no car. The closest to purchasing a non-Mopar for me was when I picked up a 12' dumping flatbed. A rusted out F350 came with it free.

20. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

It's not just looking like an idiot. It's a waste of (already spent) financial resources when your well engineered stuff hits the pinnacle and proves that it can go head to head with brand "C" best.......and beat them and then just pack up your stuff and quit.

As to the lack of enthusiasm at the factory level, I think Ed has addressed that on several of his threads.