AF: Civil COVID-19 Discussion | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Civil COVID-19 Discussion

Discussion in 'Off Topic But Still Civil' started by Ryan, Apr 23, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ryan

Ryan Moderator
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

Considering current world events, I understand many people are wanting to discuss the virus situation. However, the last thread on this topic got way out of hand and has since been deleted. There is no need for name calling on this forum and insulting others based on their political leanings is uncalled for. Since that was one of the most active topics on this forum at the moment, further discussion will be allowed in this thread under some very specific guidelines.
    1. Other members will not be insulted based on their political leanings. I don't care what side of the fence you fall on, many people have been on this site and enjoyed conversing for years and to suddenly start degrading each other is absolutely uncalled for.
      • Consequences: Three point warning for one month. This equals a one month suspension from the forums. Doesn't matter how long you've been here or how much you've contributed - if you insult someone's intelligence, beliefs, or anything else relating to their political leaning, you're out of here.
    2. Fact-based discussion is highly encouraged. If you post something under the guise of being scientific, be prepared to back it up. This is a place for intelligent conversation, not for wild theories that have no evidence.
      • Consequences: Unsubstantiated posts and theories may be deleted to prevent the thread from being derailed. Continued posts of this nature will result in a warning.
    3. Criticism of news sources as being biased with no evidence to contradict the claim being made is not allowed. I know it and you know it: many popular news sources are either left-leaning or right-leaning, but that does not mean they are always completely inaccurate. If you see a link to an article that is from a news source that is traditionally biased against your own opinion, do not immediately discredit it. I can't possibly enforce whether you research something or not, but I encourage you to do your own research if something sticks out to you as being inaccurate or biased in some way. If you truly can't find any evidence to back up the claim that a news site is making, civil inquiries about the validity of the claim are allowed, as long as politics are left out as the conversation. Example of a type of post that will not be allowed: "Fox/CNN is your source? Come on."
      • Consequences: uncivil posts attacking a news source for its political orientation will be deleted and a one point warning will be issued, expiring after a year. If continued posts of this nature are made, two more warning points will be issued that expire after one month, resulting in a one month suspension from the forums.
    More guidelines may be added depending on how the thread progresses. If something falls outside of these guidelines but is clearly uncivil, it will be removed and a warning or suspension may be issued depending on the content of the post.

There is no reason we can't have a calm, fact-based discussion about COVID-19. If you find yourself questioning whether or not your post will be allowed, don't post it. This topic will be strictly enforced from this point on.

Tony K, tlc, jerseyjoe and 1 other person like this.
  2. Ryan

Ryan Moderator

I think it's possible to have a discussion about it without resorting to petty name calling based on who supports which political parties.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions, yes, but if they are rude opinions, that person shouldn't be posting them.

Zagnut27, Tony K and Doug D like this.
  3. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

A new map shows how well each county is observing social-distancing guidelines:

New map shows which Va. counties follow coronavirus social distancing guidelines | WTOP (at https://wtop.com/coronavirus/2020/04/new-map-shows-which-va-counties-follow-coronavirus-social-distancing-guidelines/ )

ArcGIS Dashboards (at https://blueraster.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/39f93895e73d47919177b6ef78c5ece7 )

ArcGIS Dashboards (at https://blueraster.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/c560bc84f5f94419a6d1374449b808ba )

Our county has the following scores:

Social Distance Cumulative Score: C-
    Average Daily Travel Distance Score: D
    Non-essential Travel Score: D

To be fair we do have a naval research lab (NSWC-DD) where a lot of classified work goes on. Classified work cannot be worked on via telecommuting so there is still a good amount of commuters traveling from out of the county to the base. Also US 301 runs N/S through the county and there is still a fair amount of traffic through the county.

My mother told me long ago, "If you don't have anything nice to say or can't say it in a civil manner, then DON'T SAY IT ALL!" In other words keep your mouth shut.

Tony K and Ryan like this.
  4. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

Ok, are jokes and or references to farts and other bodily functions considered civil? Because I can’t guarantee one or more of my posts won’t contain such references. Just speaking from past experiences....as it were....

Tony K, tlc, jerseyjoe and 2 others like this.
  5. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham Well-Known Member

What do you mean "it's going to"?

Too late...It already HAS!

Tony K likes this.
  6. jerseyjoe

jerseyjoe Plymouth Makes It

Left off with the bosses of the house. That's political enough for me. We baby sit our 2 year 7 month old grand daughter. I could not wait till she started talking, now she don't stop jabbering! Now have two women pushing me around. How fast they catch on. Help!

Tony K, Shane Estabrooks and AC TC like this.
  7. wtxiceman

wtxiceman Well-Known Member

For some reason i feel responsible for this.:cool:

8. Ryan

Ryan Moderator

No single person is responsible. Just looking through the old thread, it was an absolute nightmare of unmoderated insults and arguments. It was a better idea to just torch all of that and start over with some guidelines for expected behavior.

9. page2171

page2171 Well-Known Member

Got notified that we have our first confirmed case at work. Fortunately for me, it is very unlikely that I will have come in contact with them. But, I'm sure this will change things at work.

10. jerseyjoe

I'll drink to that!

77 Monaco Brougham likes this.
  11. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

If anyone is curious what I actually look like, here’s a recent pic from work. I do realize my PAPR may obscure my features a bit, but I feel strongly that you can get the general idea. Sorry, my helmet...er....my PAPR appears a bit crooked...it was a hectic night. :D

2315F434-0FF1-4005-ABC9-CCE0529D9277.jpeg

Tony K, Doug D, Ryan and 3 others like this.
  12. jerseyjoe

Pretty sure we will share this thread one way or another for longer than we might like. People in this State are starting to crack, a guy look off in a small boat just before the storm that hit us breifly but hard. They found his body today. Lets not let this happen to us. We gotta help each other or this country will be toast. In a fight you try to protect the guy to the left and right of you and hope he is doing the same.

Tony K and Zagnut27 like this.
  13. 77 Monaco Brougham

Don't tell me......Let me guess......

They bought it for you from the Star Wars Collection at Walmart!:p:D

jerseyjoe and Zagnut27 like this.
  14. 77 Monaco Brougham

At this point, I'll drink to just about anything......Just so long as somebody else is buying!:D

Tony K and jerseyjoe like this.
  15. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

Hey, NOTHING but the BEST! I can alternate with this one....you know, for sanitary reasons...:D

DE13409B-DAEB-428E-B46F-9870CB96506E.jpeg

16. DC-93

DC-93 Well-Known Member

Ahh, to be totally transparent, it was Lysol that said not to drink it. Trump only suggested shooting up with it. I guess a Lysol enema is right out!

From Lysol -

WASHINGTON — The manufacturer of Lysol, a disinfectant spray and cleaning product, issued a statement warning against any internal use after President Donald Trump suggested that people could get an "injection" of "the disinfectant that knocks (coronavirus) out in a minute."

"As a global leader in health and hygiene products, we must be clear that under no circumstance should our disinfectant products be administered into the human body (through injection, ingestion or any other route)," a spokesperson for Reckitt Benckiser, the United Kingdom-based owner of Lysol, said in a statement to NBC News.

"As with all products, our disinfectant and hygiene products should only be used as intended and in line with usage guidelines. Please read the label and safety information," the statement continued, adding that the company believes it has a "responsibility in providing consumers with access to accurate, up-to-date information as advised by leading public health experts."

17. jerseyjoe

Zagnut27 and Dave Z like this.
  18. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

It’s amazing the things we used to do because they were considered safe at the time. My kids will look back on things we’re doing today as if we were barbarians. My, how times change. Lol.

19. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

Just a quick aside on hydroxychloroquine, the original idea from Dr. Oz, - Forbes, which is not particularly left-leaning, did a story on the VA study and some others.

Veterans With COVID-19 Given Trump-Touted Hydroxychloroquine Showed No Benefits, Study Finds (at https://www.forbes.com/sites/lisettevoytko/2020/04/21/veterans-with-covid-19-given-trump-touted-hydroxychloroquine-showed-no-benefits-study-finds/#462ff9f330e4 )

Stars & Stripes pointed out that testing this stuff on veterans was inappropriate.

Veterans group accuses VA of using coronavirus patients as ‘testing subjects’ (at https://www.stripes.com/news/veterans/veterans-group-accuses-va-of-using-coronavirus-patients-as-testing-subjects-1.627189 )

Remember, these are veterans when you read this:
    “About 28% of patients who received hydroxychloroquine died, compared with 11% of patients who received standard care. About 22% of patients died when they received hydroxychloroquine with azithromycin, which is used to treat bacterial infections.”

Putting the last nail into the coffin, the FDA has now issued a warning.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2020/04/24/coronavirus-latest-news/

This is why I believe in double-blind studies, not anecdotes.

I agree... I definitely agree. But y'know a lot of the stuff we did was suspected to be unsafe already... and given that I've had cancer no less than three times, I'm all for reducing exposure to carcinogens.

#19 Dave Z, Apr 24, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2020
  20. JavelinAMX

JavelinAMX Well-Known Member

June 1980 - The Medfly Invades Southern California (at https://www.kcet.org/kcet-50th-anniversary/june-1980-the-medfly-invades-southern-california )

1989 California medfly attack - Wikipedia (at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1989_California_medfly_attack )

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.