AF: Civil COVID-19 Discussion | Page 18 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Civil COVID-19 Discussion

Discussion in 'Off Topic But Still Civil' started by Ryan, Apr 23, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

Masks and face coverings have been mandatory in Delaware since April 28th IIRC. There should be no onus upon the employees other than for them to be wearing masks themselves. The customers should be wearing masks because its mandated by the state. If they won't comply when it's mandatory, I doubt very much that they will respect any type of common sense measures once the mandated restrictions are lifted.

Call me cynical, but I have very little faith in the ability of our population to do anything for the common good if they feel that they aren't directly affected by the issue. The sad part is, EVERYONE is directly affected by this...unfortunately a lot of people will ignore it and deny it until it swims up and bites them (or their loved ones) on the butt. And then they'll cry and wail, and complain "why didn't anyone DO anything??!!!" because it'll be everyone else's fault but theirs.

If I end up being wrong, I'll be more than happy to admit it then.

Bob Lincoln, Dave Z, tlc and 5 others like this.
  2. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

Hospital services for non-covid patients have ground to a standstill for the most part over the past few months. Our cardiac echo lab is behind by probably a thousand procedures. Our cardiac cath and electrophysiology labs were closed down for months too...just opening back up last week. Those procedures (angioplasty, stenting, ablations, etc) are backlogged now too. The same for cardiac surgeries like CABG and valve repairs/replacements...only emergent cases were being done during the lockdown. Whole units were devoted to Covid patients, and still are...though our numbers are headed downward. We have not had to activate additional capacity that we held in reserve. We've had a lot of Covid patients, but we haven't been bursting at the seams because we didn't have a choice but to really limit our numbers of non-Covid patients.

We draw patients for our various cardiology programs (and all other specialties as well) from a large geographical area, and for the large number of patients we serve in that area we have not been able to provide the non-emergent, but still important services that they need.

I've heard people say that we didn't need the extra capacity offered by the emergency care facilities that were constructed to house and care for overflow Covid patients. There are a variety of reasons why those facilities were under used or not used at all. The surge of patients may have been less than what was initially feared. In some cases, the admission criteria for those facilities was too strict or narrow, so many patients were prevented from going there and ended up staying in the hospital.

There are admission criteria for those facilities because you have to ensure that the patients that you are sending there meet the skill level of the staff there and the ability of the facility itself to provide for the acuity of the patients. If you are sending critical care level patients, you have to have critical care nurses and physicians. If they need telemetry or invasive monitoring, the facility has to have the capability to do that monitoring...and the staff have the skills to perform that monitoring. And with Covid patients, there is a high risk that they can deteriorate quickly and need a higher level of care which could exceed the ability of these temporary facilities to care for them.

Was the temporary facility located in an area the made it easy to move patients there...such as downtown in an urban center? If the facility was located somewhere where it made it difficult logistically to move patients there, then it decreased its usefulness.

There is a lot that has to be considered. It's not that simple that the facilities "weren't needed". There have been no simple answers.

tlc, Tony K, Dave Z and 2 others like this.
  3. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

I got a card in the mail today from Jeep offering $1500 in cash assistance towards a new Jeep. Sooooooooooooo, I promptly marched upstairs to our room where the wife was in our bathroom. I showed her the notice from Jeep, and in my best salesman voice, I made the pitch that we could buy my Gladiator now because with the shut down and social distancing, we don’t need a 3-row vehicle now and it would be beneficial now to have a truck.

She. Said. No.

Sooooooooooooooooo....I guess that’s that.

:D:(

4. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

First mistake was asking. Easier to beg forgiveness than to get permission. :rolleyes:

But I understand the need to communicate with your other half. Mine would say if you think you can afford it without trading the Ram (her name is on the title as well as mine.)

aldo90731 and 06PTElectricBlue like this.
  5. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

As it turns out, I should’ve looked closer at the mailing as it was addressed to the former owner of our home. I doubt Jeep would’ve been picky about it, but my wife took one look at it and put it in the recycling. So ends the battle...........but not the war. :D

Doug D, aldo90731 and Tony K like this.
  6. 06PTElectricBlue

06PTElectricBlue Active Member

Since you were talking to your wife in the bathroom, maybe she misunderstood your intentions and she was actually saying NO to something else o_O:rolleyes::oops::eek::D:p:cool::confused::(;):)

Tony K and Zagnut27 like this.
  7. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

Oh no, discussing Jeep purchases is serious business. There is no room for extracurricular activities or distractions. Direct, to the point. Attack attack attack!! No surrender!! :D

However, a strategic retreat can be warranted at times. Live to fight another day...and all that. :p

8. 06PTElectricBlue

And of course you must adhere to social distancing standards :p

Zagnut27 likes this.
  9. page2171

page2171 Well-Known Member

Buying a Gladiator would take care of social distancing for him... He would be sleeping in the dog house. :D

Ryan, DC-93, aldo90731 and 3 others like this.
  10. 06PTElectricBlue

Yeah, while his wife drives around in the new Gladiator :cool:

So be sure and pick out a color that your wife loves :)

If you're lucky, she might let you drive it once in a while ;)

Or, maybe the other reason your wife said NO was because when you came to her in the bathroom, maybe she was hoping for a little somethin'-somethin' and instead you starting talking about a Jeep :p

Your timing was all off :D

Tony K, DC-93, page2171 and 1 other person like this.
  11. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham Well-Known Member

The Bathroom ??? You might have considered a different location from which to begin your "Diplomatic Initiative".

I can't speak for anyone else...but... the very last thought on my mind while I'm in the bathroom is buying a car!:p:D

12. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

Well, the bathroom is kinda the best place to go to get at least some modicum of privacy from our 5-year-old twins. Occasionally it gets invaded too...but it’s a decent panic room. :D

I often do my best, most in-depth thinking while sitting in my “office”. The “all purpose” chair comes in rather handy, I must say. :p

13. aldo90731

Staff Member Level III Supporter

You should let her know in your best Winston Churchill voice: “Your choice, dear. We can get it now at a juicy discount...or pay more later.” And run out before she throws something.

Tony K, Morty, Doug D and 3 others like this.
  14. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

My wife wants a sports car. Currently, she wants a Mustang. She rented a convertible Mustang on her last trip home to Denver. She loved it. I've told her as long as she can afford the payments and maintenance, go ahead. I have plans to get a Challenger once I pay off the Equinox (another 2.5 years). I don't mind paying for the vehicle she needs (the Equinox), but when it comes to a want, that's where I draw the line.

I do give her credit though. When I bought the Ram, she had said, "Go ahead, get what you want." I have to admit buying the Ram was spur of the moment purchase. I hadn't planned on buying a vehicle that day.

Additional note - my second oldest daughter bought a new-to-her car a few weeks ago. To celebrate her one year anniversary in Florida (moved there a year ago) she traded her '05 Scion for a '17 Mazda C5. They only gave her $500 for the Scion but the AC wasn't working and it had close to 200K miles. She got good financing though - only 3.9%.

Tony K and Zagnut27 like this.
  15. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

For me, with a relatively new used car, the COVID economy is a double-edged sword; any discount I get is drowned out by the bottom falling from the used-car market. I might get $2,000 off a nice new car but the valuation of my old one has gone down by $5,000! (After going up by about that amount.)

16. AC TC

AC TC Well-Known Member

A No is just a possible Yes after negotiation.
    - but the thing with it thrown directly into the wastebin sure doesent look good.
    Start talking about a Ram 2500 powerwagoon with a cummins, the retreat back to the more sensible choice of a Gladiator. She would have won and you got the Gladiator.

Tony K, page2171 and Zagnut27 like this.
  17. AC TC

AC TC Well-Known Member

- the number of 12% is unheard of in sweden. We do have a higher number than our surrounding countries probably because it was decided to take a harder first hit with minimal lock down.
    - when an elderly person goes into a nursing home they have about 290 days left as a middle value here, that should say something on how ill these people generally are. The general approach here is to let the elderly live at home as long as possible.
    - one must also remember that around 1,2% of the citizens die every year.
    There is one quite easy to understand graph here:Statistik relaterad till covid-19 (at https://www.socialstyrelsen.se/statistik-och-data/statistik/statistik-om-covid-19/statistik-relaterad-till-covid-19/#lightbox-image__21232 )
    It´s about death per week from 2015 to 2020 per 100 0000 people, it normally hoovers around 20deaths / week and now it spiked at 25 deaths/ week and droppining. There is no 12% death rate...

Tony K likes this.
  18. AC TC

AC TC Well-Known Member

We also got hit whit our pants down.
    - week 8-10 is school leave weeks so a lot of people traveled to the alps for skiing, right into the italian epicentrum.
    Then they returned home spreading the virus before it was realized how problematic it is. So we got a very fast spread into society.
    There were also shortages of protection but that seems to have been handled reasonable well and there was a short period when alkohol desinfectand was at a shortage. this was quickly handled by shops by selling one bottle for 4$ or 2 for 500$.
    Toilet paper was short for a few days, how on earth could anyone belive that we would run out of toiletpaper when we have the worlds largest paper and pulp industry per capita.
    To be honest..the only upside of this sh.t is fuel prices dropping from approx 3$/ liter to 2$/ liter.

Zagnut27 and Morty like this.
  19. Morty

Morty Well-Known Member

@AC TC
    It will be "interesting" to see the end result.
    Death rate per mil:
    Sweden: 3679
    Denmark 1876
    Norway 1537
    Finland 1148

20. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

For us, the best thing would be to wait until around Christmas time. We won’t be paying tuition for the kids childcare anymore once they start kindergarten....so that’s over $2k/month we’ll be saving. Plus it’s closer to tax time when we’d be getting our refund, which would probably recoup whatever money we put down. That’s the smart choice....

But I WANT IT NOW!!!!!!! (In my best 5-year-old voice).

page2171, Morty, Tony K and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.