AF: Civil COVID-19 Discussion | Page 21 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Civil COVID-19 Discussion

Discussion in 'Off Topic But Still Civil' started by Ryan, Apr 23, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 06PTElectricBlue

06PTElectricBlue Active Member

2. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

So the covid test came back negative. Since she is having wild temp swings (104 yesterday and normal today), they are running another test. She has dementia - has forgotten she has grand children. Will see what tomorrow brings.

Tony K, Zagnut27 and aldo90731 like this.
  3. DC-93

DC-93 Well-Known Member

Sad...

When this all started, my wife and I agreed that our parents, all deceased now, would have probably gotten C-19.
    My mom was always stubborn, as in, "You can't tell me what to do".

Doug D likes this.
  4. Chase300

Chase300 Well-Known Member

My wife works at a large regional Hospital in the Atlanta area...she is on daily Co-vid 19 calls with senior management. She confirmed hospitalizations are down. So, sorry...that data is real.

wtxiceman likes this.
  5. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

It takes two weeks for the symptoms to come out...

Zagnut27 likes this.
  6. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

And it only takes one or two people to cause a major flare up, say at a church or restaurant, since the symptoms take so long to appear. We won’t know the effects of opening back up for some time, especially if numbers aren’t being reported accurately.

tlc, Tony K, freshforged and 2 others like this.
  7. Doug D

To me, this is the most frustrating part - having to wait two weeks to see if an action (say loosening lock downs) has any affect.

8. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

It’s frustrating in a lot of ways because someone could be spreading the virus before they ever show symptoms. That’s what’s going to make it hard to open everything and stay open. I imagine we’re going to be seeing flare ups and some places will have to lock down again, though who knows how widespread it will be.

If people are cautious and still practice safety measures...mask wearing, social distancing, avoiding crowds, etc...we can start doing some of the things we want to do, but it’s got to be done smartly. If people think that things are normal again because they believe it to be so, they’re going to be in for a rude awakening.

Tony K, freshforged and tlc like this.
  9. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

The masks are really the big thing, IMHO. You can wash your hands after taking the subway, and if you use soap and do it for 30 seconds, you should be fine. You can go to the car dealer, put on gloves and the mask, do the thing, take off the gloves (carefully) and toss them on the floor of the back seat, and you'll probably be fine. Restaurants and bars... I don't see how you can keep the masks off.

I am all for a staged reopening. Heck, the northeastern governors' coalition is doing one. But just declaring there's no risk and opening a state completely seems reckless at best.

I have to wonder about judges insisting that governors can't have emergency health powers.

freshforged, Zagnut27 and Bob Lincoln like this.
  10. Doug D

Agreed. I haven't read of any state or jurisdiction simply reopening everything and going back to what was normal. At the same time, it's impractical to keep a jurisdiction under a total lock down until a vaccine is developed (see LA). I don't have a problem with a phased approach.

The problem is governors that are insisting on extending the lock downs or the lock down is too extensive. Now that there is more data about the virus, it's harder to justify such measures. It seems we are rapidly approaching the point where the cure or treatment (lock downs, etc) are creating far deeper issues than the virus itself. Emergency powers are meant to be temporary, not ongoing forever.

Tony K, wtxiceman and dana44 like this.
  11. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

I would think we would loosen up through the summer and then retighten.

It's been two months. Not forever. This isn't like the Patriot Act where we toss the Constitution until all the terrorists are gone.

See Which States Are Reopening and Which Are Still Shut Down (at https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/states-reopen-map-coronavirus.html )

The detail is interesting. It includes the states' progress in shutting down on March 23 through April 7, infection curves by state, and what is opening. Alabama has shown a sharp uptick around 3 weeks after reopening. Alaska has shown none, but you can see the curve dropping during the in-place order. I will have to revisit this since it does seem as though the reopening is not really increasing cases in some places, e.g. Colorado and Florida.

One of the issues is reliability of testing numbers, which have been harshly criticized by many doctors. Georgia in particular has played with its numbers; the governor in that state, as the secretary of state, kicked tens of thousands of people from voter registrations just before the vote in which he was elected by a thin margin. Not the most trustworthy of politicians. That said, the data in the next two weeks or so will tell a clearer story. The effect of the lifting of restrictions will be tempered somewhat by the tendency of more people to wear masks now and by the higher temperatures, which kill the virus naturally.

12. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

Given that a large percentage of states reopened without meeting the federal guidelines (and some also ignoring their governor's own guidelines), a resurgence is all but guaranteed. How bad, remains to be seen. The tragedy is that the economy is very likely to suffer greater damage from a resurgence than if we followed the curves down for a few more weeks and got the worst over in one shot.
    The fact that most small businesses and individuals are still suffering greatly shows that the distribution of money was extremely poorly done, favored those who didn't need it, and underscores the corruption on both sides.

tlc, Zagnut27, Ryan and 1 other person like this.
  13. Doug D

Damn near feels like it's been forever. I saw a t-shirt a while back:

2020 Leap Year
    February - 29 days
    March - 300 days
    April - 5 years

I can say the month of April seemed to drag on forever.

I do agree the data recording needs to be consistent. If it isn't then how could anyone know what really is going on.

Tony K, aldo90731, tlc and 1 other person like this.
  14. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

This does provide a chance for the “states as experimental laboratories” theory to work out... if the states are honest.

The best analysis I've seen simply compares the total deaths this year to the average deaths for the last three years during the same days. By that standard, a week or three ago, we were at 160,000 deaths.

freshforged likes this.
  15. freshforged

freshforged Well-Known Member

Hospitalizations might be down but the infection rate still rising. As others have said-hospitalization is a trailing indicator. Besides which, hospital recordsshow greater infection rate than “official” state collected rates. This demonstrates the bending of procedure to fit the political aspirations of office holders rather than the safety of the public.

tlc likes this.
  16. freshforged

On both sides of what? Sorry but the distribution of funds was designed by statute to be handled by an impartial auditor, instead that individual was immediately dismissed by the President and a partisan yes-man put in their place. I fail to see how this indicates corruption within Congressional Democrats. Both sides are not equally to blame.

17. aldo90731

Another 2.4 million claimed unemployment benefits last week. That brings the grand total to 39 million out of work. Geez.

18. freshforged

Yes, but how many of those are the result of fraud? Here in Washington state, there’s been a rash of bogus claims filed using the name and ss# of people still working. I had his happen to me just a few days ago.

19. page2171

page2171 Well-Known Member

Two months is forever for the small business owners whose livelihood depends on the business that the government forcibly shut down.

wtxiceman and Doug D like this.
  20. Doug D

Yep. Two months is the limit most small businesses can go without operating. Some can't last two weeks. Many will not reopen. I am sort of surprised a small nail salon my wife goes to reopened.

wtxiceman likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.