AF: Civil COVID-19 Discussion | Page 23 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Civil COVID-19 Discussion

Discussion in 'Off Topic But Still Civil' started by Ryan, Apr 23, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

In the only controlled studies of the drug (VA and Brazil), researchers found it caused more deaths than not taking the drug. Brazil's leader is aligned with Trump. VA is the VA. No reason to lie.

jerseyjoe, tlc, freshforged and 3 others like this.
  2. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

I'm game.

Hmmmm......let's see:

Virginia Beach
    Shenandoah National Park (Skyline Drive - in particular The Meadows)
    Charlotte Motor Speedway (600 mile NASCAR race)
    Local park - Barnesfield
    Clearwater Beach, FL (although I'll take any beach in Florida)
    Orlando, FL (several things to choose from including visiting my daughter)
    Kings Dominion (45 minutes away) if things were normal and any sort of distancing not needed.

With the wife away in Denver, I'll probably spend some time with the grand kids.

aldo90731 likes this.
  3. aldo90731

I don’t have anything planned this year.

In past Memorial Weekends, my dad and I would drive over the Cascade Mountains to the town of Winthrop for a nice lunch. It is a beautiful drive. The highway closes in winter, and the snow removal crews open the road in time for Memorial Day. The locals on the other side throw a parade and is normally a fun event. But not this year. My dad is holed on the Canada side of the border, and there won’t be no parade this weekend either :(.

I did go up last weekend, though. It was Victoria Day in Canada. The drive is still as gorgeous as ever. But this time I didn’t drive into town, for obvious reasons.

#443 aldo90731, May 22, 2020
    Last edited: May 22, 2020
  4. aldo90731

Some shots of my drive over the Cascades this year. Traffic was about 1/4 the usual volume. North Cascades National Park facilities are closed due to COVID.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thank God nature doesn’t close down. Just wish dad had been able to join this year.

jerseyjoe, tlc, MJAB and 4 others like this.
  5. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

New Jersey’s governor has clarified that we can do parades, as long as we don't gather outside of our cars to do so, so... we are doing two classic-car parades in honor of Memorial Day.

tlc, aldo90731 and Doug D like this.
  6. DC-93

DC-93 Well-Known Member

Is that one of those driverless cars? lol.....

aldo90731 likes this.
  7. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

I’m off for the holiday starting tomorrow morning (Saturday). We’ll just be spending time at home with the kids. If the weather is nice, maybe we’ll take a drive. I don’t want to be around people other than my little family. Under normal circumstances I’m not a big fan of crowds. Under the current circumstances, my tolerance for BS is even less.

8. Chase300

Chase300 Well-Known Member

I thought you wore masks in NJ?
    What's the problem?

9. Morty

Morty Well-Known Member

s
    The Swedish experiment is debatable. As of today Sweden has the highest mortality rate per capita in Europe.

tlc, Bob Lincoln and aldo90731 like this.
  10. aldo90731

The back of my head just looks like a headrest... :p

11. aldo90731

I am willing to go with “debatable.” Some over here are saying that the Swedish experiment is a failure. I think it’s too soon to say that. This ain’t over until it’s over.

We do need to come up with an alternative containment approach before the next wave, though. If anyone thinks entire populations are going to obediently lockdown next time COVID hits, better think again.

12. Doug D

Yeah, we really didn't either. The places I listed are more or less things I would have liked to have considered doing.

Hard to go anywhere when in reality nothing is "open".

Indeed. The only reason the lockdown was implemented and accepted was there was no data on this novel virus. We have a better idea of how the virus can spread and some of the population has been exposed to it and there is some herd immunity. How much is certainly in question.

I wouldn't say Sweden's approach was right or wrong. It'd be hard to come to a conclusion at this time. Might be years before any study and research can show if it was indeed the "correct" approach.

Tony K and aldo90731 like this.
  13. aldo90731

Yeah, everything is pretty much closed here too. Dealers may have a good weekend since people can’t do much else.

Drove by my gym yesterday: they were disinfecting the whole place. Looks like they are getting ready to reopen.

Scanning the headlines yesterday I saw that Denmark and Germany plan to ban travelers from Sweden for the time being, while they open their borders to travelers of other countries.

If nothing else, it took a lot of courage of Sweden to try something different and stick with it. Personally, I am glad they did; we need alternatives.

Tony K and wtxiceman like this.
  14. wtxiceman

wtxiceman Well-Known Member

If Dana doesnt like you , you are doing something right:D

15. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

It is fact that thousands were prevented from voting in GA when their ID didn't exactly match the list at the polls, even to the point where one document had a middle initial and one didn't. Yet Kemp ran into this very situation himself, and was ALLOWED to vote.
    The fact that a current Sec of State refused to recuse himself from running an election in which he was a candidate, speaks volumes about his lack of ethics, and the failure of the system to prevent him from running that election.

Dave Z likes this.
  16. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

Did I say equally? NO.
    And I was referring to the efforts to add pork to the relief bills by both sides.

Tony K likes this.
  17. Doug D

About the only small business that reopened was a nail salon my wife frequents. It's by appointment only, but they have reopened.

With the wife out of town it is tempting to visit my dealership, but I do have yard work to get done (weather permitting) and I'd like to wash and wax the ole Ram. Plus the wallet would say, "No way Jose, not today." :rolleyes: Plus it's a 35 mile drive.

aldo90731 likes this.
  18. freshforged

freshforged Well-Known Member

The stay at home measures (including social distancing tactics) was implemented for one reason—to buy us time so our medical system wasn’t overwhelmed. Fact of the matter is, we need more time. Hospitals STILL DON’T HAVE ENOUGH PPE OR TESTS. The Whitehouse could have been working it’s [I should have my mouth washed out with soap for using such terms] off to get this stuff to the right people but instead it’s doinked around. Instead of looking at the crisis as a money making opportunity, it could have been saving lives. This is what happens when you elect “businessmen”.

Bob Lincoln, aldo90731 and DC-93 like this.
  19. dana44

Ad-Free Member

The VA test was a sham and it has been reported as such. There are more doctors and living patients that will tell you it worked for them. Think about it: A drug that has been given to literally more than a billion people for different diseases other than malaria, been around more than half a century, not one single heart problem case ever reported on record during this time, and touted as one of the safest drugs on the planet, and all the sudden it is killing people? Literally, while in the military, I used this drug a total of eight times, said it before. If it was dangerous or hazardous, I think the VA would have given me a pre-existing condition disability in the future when I retired, and they didn't.

20. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

Reported as such by whom?
    Why did Brazil and the VA get the same results?
    What evidence do you have other than “I heard someone say that someone told me it worked” or the bear-scare defense?

Bob Lincoln and freshforged like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.