AF: Civil COVID-19 Discussion | Page 26 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Civil COVID-19 Discussion

Discussion in 'Off Topic But Still Civil' started by Ryan, Apr 23, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 06PTElectricBlue

06PTElectricBlue Active Member

I haven't felt the full affects of the pandemic, which would be reality, because I work at an "essential business" and have still been employed the entire time during the lockdown. Yes our sales are down but all of us in my shop still have our jobs, which is a good thing. :)

I believe the latest unemployment figure is 43 million as of 05/21. :eek:

I watch the news and see all the reports of all those suffering, not only those that have succumbed to the virus and passed on, but the survivors left behind that are now unemployed and waiting in endless food lines just to try to survive. :(

The news was talking to one person yesterday and he showed his bank account: $0.60 left in it and he didn't know what he was going to do. So many that have filed for unemployment, or still trying to, are not receiving their payments yet. What are they supposed to? :(

My attitude may be very different if I had been placed into that situation of unemployed and broke, so I am very thankful to still be employed. But whatever happens, this will certainly take our country a very long time to see any good out of this.

So if I have to wear a mask once in a while in a public setting, that's a minor inconvenience to being unemployed, broke and/or dead. :)

#501 06PTElectricBlue, May 23, 2020
    Last edited: May 23, 2020
    Tony K, DC-93, tomit and 3 others like this.
  2. DC-93

DC-93 Well-Known Member

And yet your avatar is making a political statement. :rolleyes:

Tony K likes this.
  3. DC-93

DC-93 Well-Known Member

Results from the remdesivir COVID-19 trial are out, and it’s good news
    Recovery time was shortened from 15 to 11 days.

Read in Ars Technica: https://apple.news/AZVcWrNB0Qy2zI0mzq5WDMw

Why COVID-19's weirdest symptoms are only emerging now
    These symptoms sound scary, but they should be expected. Here's what scientists know about the "new" effects of the coronavirus.

Read in National Geographic: https://apple.news/ANKHO2xjBQnOvdc_hcOw-qw

The National Geographic article is especially enlightening.

tlc and Dave Z like this.
  4. Tony K

Tony K Active Member

First, this is not showing a statistical improvement for mortality rates as stated in the article...but it is a good sign for capacity concerns. Frankly, given the low infection mortality rate and the people it effects, we shouldn't expect significant improvements in a drug originally designed to combat Ebola. All that said, three fewer days in the hospital for those who survive is a statistically relevant number, and one that is the bigger deal in the short term for potential use in ICUs.

Dave Z likes this.
  5. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

Yeah, I wouldn’t get too excited about Remdesivir yet. I just saw the results of another study and it basically stated it’s not that effective by itself and should be combined with other antivirals for later use. Like everything else so far, it’s more effective if used early on. But...it’s better than nothing. I wouldn’t get too hung up on what it’s original intended use was...lots of drugs end up being used for other things despite failing at their original intended use. It just has to be shown to work for whatever it IS being used for.

I saw another study regarding a cocktail of anti-HIV meds, plus some antivirals that may show promise as well. We’ll see. If you fire enough bullets, sooner or later you’ll hit your target.

tlc, Dave Z and Tony K like this.
  6. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

As a side note, someone posted this for people who can only understand anecdotal “evidence”...

run-the-light.jpg

Tony K, tlc, Morty and 3 others like this.
  7. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

That avatar has been removed by an admin.

That was... hypocritical to the extreme.

Tony K likes this.
  8. page2171

page2171 Well-Known Member

Once again proof that politics is allowed here as long as it is bashing Trump. All other viewpoint are censored.

dana44 and wtxiceman like this.
  9. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

If you really want to see censorship, keep it up. Do you see a political ad in my avatar?

10. page2171

I would like for this site to go back to the way it was when it was enjoyable. No politics, like the forum rules stated.

wtxiceman likes this.
  11. Ryan

Ryan Moderator

If it means anything, from what I’ve seen, the comments from people supporting Trump have been more belligerent and argumentative thus warranting deletion. Then those people want to whine about censorship as if it was their political stance, not their attitude, that got their post deleted. If everyone could discuss calmly without turning a blind eye to scientific evidence and getting upset with those who cite studies, there wouldn’t be a problem.

This is a topic that relates to politics to the extent that public policy isn’t lining up with science and pointing that out with statistics and studies should not be attacked by people who want to pretend science doesn’t exist. After all, if you want to believe something a politician is telling you instead of scientists, you are the one making this a political issue.

Tony K, tlc, freshforged and 5 others like this.
  12. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

See, we are NOT bringing politics in.

Saying “here’s the latest scientific study” is not politics.

Saying “that's crap because my favorite politician says something different” is politics.

None of this COVID stuff should be political. The virus doesn't care if you work in the White House. It doesn't care who you voted for. It doesn't actually care about anything. It's a virus.

None of this is about Trump except to Trump and some of his followers. Trump said “We should have a better trade balance with China.” I agreed. He said “This drug is good for COVID.” I disagreed. The first one was political. The second was not.

Tony K, tlc, DC-93 and 4 others like this.
  13. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

"We didn't have (and the list of precautions doesn't list) heart arrhythmia concerns to this day"

Whether someone has concerns is TOTALLY irrelevant to any potential danger.
    No one can feel arryhthmias - if you could, there would be little need for heart monitors. "Oh, I'm going into V-tach, I can feele it!"

You and others may have had arryhthmias and not known it, and being young enough, not suffered any effects. There is NO way to tell what those 300 people actually experienced medically.

What Trump said IS garbage, because he simply stated that he "had a good feeling about it", "heard good things", "thousands of doctors had good things to say about it" (which is simply one of thousands of lies he has told).
    When a man tells 18,000 lies in 3 years in public, he has COMPLETELY lost my trust, and hopefully any rational thinking human being. He probably even lied about taking it.
    Lastly, he and his family have investments in the company that makes this drug, directly or indirectly, and so he lied this morning when he said on TV that he has absolutely nothing to gain financially from touting this drug.

tlc, Dave Z, freshforged and 3 others like this.
  14. wtxiceman

wtxiceman Well-Known Member

If my avatar was hypocritical to any American that tells me all i need to know.

Delete my comments, ban me or whatever makes you feel better. It wont change the real story of whats been going on in this thread.

tomit likes this.
  15. wtxiceman

More political posts i see.

16. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

Just a little to add. People can often feel arrhythmias, but they may not know that’s what it is. They can experience a fluttering sensation in the chest, GI discomfort (heartburn), chest pain, shortness of breath, or a flushing sensation. I had a patient once who always knew when he was in ventricular tachycardia. When he would feel it, he would wait to see if it would break on it’s own, and if it didn’t he’d head to the emergency room. More often than not it would break on its own while he was on his way there (someone else was driving him).

Atrial fibrillation can feel like you have the flu. Because the top chambers of the heart aren’t beating like they should, you lose the benefit of the “atrial kick”. It can make you feel really run down, until your body becomes accustomed to the decrease in blood flow. Of course, if the heart rate is fast enough, you could feel the fluttering sensation or even chest pain. Heart rate is key. Of course if you develop clots in the atria from the blood pooling, you are at risk for stroke...which is why we put these patients on blood thinners.

For ventricular tachycardia, it’s also heart rate dependent. If it’s a slow rate, it’s usually better tolerated with fewer symptoms. For a faster rate, you see fluttering, chest pain, shortness of breath, etc...and if fast enough, the ventricles are providing enough blood flow to create a pulse, and that’s when you lose consciousness and defibrillation becomes an emergent need.

Sorry, cardiology nerd here. There aren’t many topics here on Allpar that I can be a SME, so I can’t help myself when I do encounter one. :D

However, lots of times people are completely asymptomatic and don’t realize it. Many of our patients don’t realize it until someone runs in their room to check on them. “Did you feel that?” “Feel what??”

tlc likes this.
  17. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

All of these situations require a previous diagnosis for the person to know what rhythm might be present and what it feels like.

18. page2171

Yep. I'm out. Dave can continue to run the site into the ground. So be it.

19. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

I guess I was misunderstanding what you meant. People can feel symptoms, but yes it would have to be diagnosed for them to know exactly what they were experiencing. I was experiencing a fluttering sensation, chest pressure and a flushing sensation. I thought for sure that I was having an arrhythmia...turns out it was GERD with mild gastritis after a holter monitor, a stress test then a trial of nexium followed by an endoscopy & colonscopy. So yup, a lot of diagnostic work there to determine just what I was feeling and why.

Oh, I forgot to add dizziness & lightheaded as symptoms of arrhythmia.

#519 Zagnut27, May 24, 2020
    Last edited: May 24, 2020
  20. wtxiceman

hope_and_change_trucker_hat-r92be71852b9e47b0a1629541d6747db2_eahwv_8byvr_307.jpg

Would this one be ok?:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.