AF: Civil COVID-19 Discussion | Page 27 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Civil COVID-19 Discussion

Discussion in 'Off Topic But Still Civil' started by Ryan, Apr 23, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ryan

Ryan Moderator
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

Tony K, tlc, aldo90731 and 1 other person like this.
  2. AC TC

AC TC Well-Known Member

As for swedens approach..
    - like kenny rogers in the gambler:
    "Never count your money until the dealings is done"
    When its over and we can calculate losses and economics we can say what approach was wizest.

tlc, Bob Lincoln and aldo90731 like this.
  3. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

Come on people, let’s not let politics divide us to the point where we can no longer come together for a rousing “Death of Chrysler” thread, or beak out the torches and pitchforks together when Jeep produces yet ANOTHER FWD/AWD non-Wrangler vehicle. There is little that divides us...yet SO MUCH that unites us! :D

freshforged, aldo90731 and Ryan like this.
  4. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

Tony K likes this.
  5. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

What is it about you that you simply cannot understand the difference between medical information from a firefighter/EMT and political posts?

Seriously ... what is wrong with you?

And WTXiceman, for that matter. This is not about politics. This is about actual medical research versus crazy political crap.

When President Obama mentioned in passing something about Ford inventing the car, I vented about it on Allpar. Duh, Ford wasn't even the first to use an assembly line for cars (Ransom Olds). Car was invented by Cugnot, in France, in the 1700s, for Heaven’s sake. Okay, maybe I wouldn't expect Obama to know that, but Ford? Seriously?

Now Trump goes out and says “This drug is great” repeatedly and you nuts all think you have to defend him. You don't. This isn't politics. This is facts and reality and science. You make it about politics when you defend the indefensible, and when you say that facts are not facts because it’s “political.” It's not political. There is no “Jewish science,” as Hitler referred to relativity. There is no “Republican science.” There is no “Democratic science.” There is only science — testing assumptions and guesses about how the world works by gathering actual information in the real world, over and over, until something is either established as “probably fact” or “probably fiction.”

Sometimes I think the nonsense about fluoride being used for mind control is actually real, when I read posts like this...

(PS> FWIW, wind turbines don't cause cancer. Want to claim I say that just because I'm being political, and wind turbines really do cause cancer?)

6. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

I imagine that if you presented Obama with the correct information regarding the origins of the car that he’d probably admit his mistake and be appreciative of the information. I don’t know that for certain, but that would be my guess. He doesn’t strike me as the type of person who will defend his position to the death, despite new factual information being presented.

But he was wrong at times too. Everyone is. I don’t understand the extreme devotion to someone (anyone) to the point where you cannot acknowledge their faults or the times when they’re incorrect. Especially when it’s a person I do not know personally, nor am I ever likely to know them. I owe them nothing.

tlc and 06PTElectricBlue like this.
  7. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

I won't speculate, but yes, we are all wrong now and then. It's sad that the media think changing one's mind is a sign of weakness.

tlc, DC-93, Zagnut27 and 1 other person like this.
  8. 06PTElectricBlue

06PTElectricBlue Active Member

I said something similar in one of the other virus threads, but it was deleted as being too political, but I'm going to try to say it again here, and try not to be too political. ;)

Some people are just so arrogant that they refuse to even believe that they may be wrong, or incorrect, or mistaken, whatever you want to call it, even when they may be confronted with overwhelming facts to the contrary to what their belief is, because they are already set in their ways, or opinion, that for them to back down or to admit a fault or error, would make them feel inferior or not superior. ;)

In other words, everybody makes mistakes, just own up to it and move on, that person would look better in the eyes of others if they could just accept the fact that they may not always be right. :)

And while I was making my post, this appeared, which basically we are both tying to say the same thing :)

Tony K, tlc, DC-93 and 4 others like this.
  9. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

I'd like to think that. But there's also the issue with cross cultural comparisons. In the US, the coronavirus seems to have disproportionate impact in areas where people are relatively poor. In Sweden, there's far less gap between rich and poor, and they may have different effects. They are also relatively homogenous in genetics which can have an effect in either direction.

tlc, Zagnut27 and aldo90731 like this.
  10. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

I agree. Those who are long-time Allpar folk have no doubt seen me do this. Bob Sheaves would admit to being wrong when you could convince him of it, and that gave him more latitude than he would have had otherwise. Same with Mopar Norm. I'd say "same with Bob Lincoln" if he was ever caught being wrong.

Also, I like your PT, same color that mine was.

Tony K, tlc, DC-93 and 3 others like this.
  11. rapidtrans

rapidtrans Well-Known Member

“Where is everybody?”
    I think this thread answers that.

Tony K and 06PTElectricBlue like this.
  12. 06PTElectricBlue

Unfortunately, it is about the only thing going on that's affecting everybody :(

13. 06PTElectricBlue

Sadly, this actually should read, MEMORIAL DAY IS CLOSED :(

[​IMG]

It's unfortunate that due to the virus that practically all Memorial Day ceremonies and celebrations, across the country, have been cancelled :(

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tony K and DC-93 like this.
  14. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

Being a married man and the father of a daughter, I’ve really learned to come to terms with no longer being right. :D

All the cool kids are here. :cool:

We may not be able to get together like we normally would for holidays, but we can remember and/or celebrate (depending on the holiday) in our own small ways. If anyone is reading this, that means they’re still in this world (and not taken out by (Insert culprit). And that’s something to be happy about, that we’re still here, in hopes of being together in person for the next holiday that comes along.

15. 06PTElectricBlue

Inquiring minds would like to know exactly how long did it take, and how many arguments did you lose, and how many sleepless nights maybe on the couch or in your car, did it take you to realize the inevitable and accept defeat o_O:rolleyes::oops::eek::D:p:cool::confused::(;):)

Sound like this may be your motto :D

[​IMG]

And this is your theme song, for that happy coexistence :cool:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hx4gdlfamo

tlc and Zagnut27 like this.
  16. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

I caved faster than the Italian army. :p

No offense to any members here of the Italian army, either past or present. :D

Tony K, Morty and 06PTElectricBlue like this.
  17. 06PTElectricBlue

Some people are quick learners, others it may take a little longer :rolleyes:

Zagnut27 likes this.
  18. 06PTElectricBlue

Zagnut27 likes this.
  19. patfromigh

patfromigh Well-Known Member

I just remembered why I left Allpar. :p

Tony K likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.