AF: Civil COVID-19 Discussion | Page 30 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Civil COVID-19 Discussion

Discussion in 'Off Topic But Still Civil' started by Ryan, Apr 23, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 06PTElectricBlue

06PTElectricBlue Active Member

#582 06PTElectricBlue, May 28, 2020
    Last edited: May 28, 2020
    freshforged and DC-93 like this.
  2. patfromigh

patfromigh Well-Known Member

Does anybody remember the movie On the Beach? I don't know what the stats are for May, but for April in Minnesota driving was down by 65%, but traffic fatalities were up nearly 50% and speeding tickets for speeds over 100mph went from that months record of 22 to 78.

3. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Sad day today. My 23 year old nephew in Florida passed away today though not due to COVID-19. About two years ago he was diagnosed with cancer in his pelvic region. He underwent successful radiation and chemo treatment that eventually eliminated the cancer (or so they thought). About 6 month later there were several spots found in his lungs which were successfully removed. In the past 6 months an edema developed in his foot (very painful) that the drs believe was from some of the medication he had been on. Last week he was hospitalized with severe pain in his lungs which turned out to be blood clots (believed to be from the edema). He was put on blood thinners and was suppose to be released this week, but he would be on oxygen and limited to a wheel chair with a daytime nurse.

Received a call from my mother early this morning (not a good sign when she calls that early) notifying me my nephew had unexpectedly passed away early this morning. Apparently a blood clot got to his heart. I was in total shock. Managed to get a hold of my sister and of course she was very upset as it was their only son. Her world has literally collapsed. We certainly did not expect this.

Prayers requested for my sister and her husband as they try to deal with the aftermath. I know the Lord is carrying both of them now. My sister is a very strong willed person, but this might be a bit much. She was the one that had to handle things when our Dad died on Sept 11, 2017. No way for me to help as a hurricane had hit near Clearwater at the time and travel was difficult due to flooding and trees down.

Everyone in our family is in shock.

Shane Estabrooks likes this.
  4. freshforged

freshforged Well-Known Member

So sorry to hear that Doug—it’s tragic to lose a loved one, especially when they are so young. Peace be with your family.

5. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

There is so much focus on Covid right now (and for good reason), but I think we forget that there are all the usual health issues that we still suffer from. Right now, the beds in my hospital are mostly full with our usual patients. We’ve started doing the elective procedures like cardiac catheterizations and ablations that we normally do, and we’re taking patients from other hospita for advanced therapies for heart failure.

Yesterday, we had one code on our unit for ventricular tachycardia, but that was before I got there. From 7pm until 10pm, there were four “anesthesia stat” calls followed by “code” calls overhead for 4 separate units in the hospital. Only one of those units is a Covid unit. So we’re treating lots of patients, and those patients are very sick too. As per usual. All the usual illnesses don’t care about Covid...they still make themselves known in the usual ways.

My condolences to you and your family, may you all find some peace in this.

#586 Zagnut27, May 28, 2020
    Last edited: May 28, 2020
  6. 06PTElectricBlue

That's way too young, prayers your way :(

Zagnut27, freshforged and Doug D like this.
  7. 06PTElectricBlue

8. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Thanks guys.

jerseyjoe, Zagnut27, DC-93 and 2 others like this.
  9. freshforged

freshforged Well-Known Member

Yep, more concerned with “owning the libs” than saving their own lives or the lives of their loved ones. Gotta love that mendacity!

tlc, Zagnut27, DC-93 and 1 other person like this.
  10. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham Well-Known Member

Friend...that one is a really tall order.

As I sit here nursing my first of what will be several cups of coffee...I was racking my brain trying to come up with a man...any living man...who could possibly fit the role of "reassuring fatherly figure".

Excluding religious figures (for obvious reasons)...I couldn't come up with anyone...and then...my caffeine stimulated brain prompted a memory of someone I hadn't thought about in a very long time.

Does anyone remember THIS man?:
    [​IMG]

Tony K, tlc, Zagnut27 and 2 others like this.
  11. DC-93

DC-93 Well-Known Member

Another real family man.
    The-Addams-Family-MGM.jpg

Tony K, Zagnut27 and freshforged like this.
  12. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

President Obama, if you want a real and public family man... Jimmy Carter, too.

Can't really think of other real-life celebrities in that class. Doesn't mean they don't exist. Just can't think of them.

13. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

If it only affected them, I could almost laugh at this and say, Well, Darwin will take care of them.
    Unfortunately, they will kill other innocent people.

14. Bob Lincoln

Level 2 Supporter

New cases in TX up sharply, after never having been suppressed:
    upload_2020-5-29_11-34-53.png

15. Bob Lincoln

Level 2 Supporter

And deaths never declined:

16. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham Well-Known Member

I know people will probably think this is heartless, cruel, dark and cold...but I'm going to allow the cynical depressed anxious side of me to say a little something:

I think Covid has spread too far...too wide...and too deep to ever be completely stamped out (barring some unforeseen effective treatment or vaccine).

I'm beginning to see Covid as just a baked-in part of the background / landscape now...and for the foreseeable future. Perhaps this cynicism is fueled...at least in part...by my memories of...during the 1990's...having attended more HIV related funerals than I care to remember.

#597 77 Monaco Brougham, May 29, 2020
    Last edited: May 29, 2020
  17. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

Well, you’re not being cynical. Even if when (if?) there is a vaccine available, this virus will never be gone. Does influenza disappear completely? Nope. They’re the gifts that keep on giving, all through the ages. With a vaccine though you can at least minimize the risk from it, like influenza.

On a different note, here’s my pick for the best fatherly figure in time of need. Well...maybe he’s not the best pick either...:D

72956D38-C805-4D67-9029-457925DD1053.jpeg

18. aldo90731

Staff Member Level III Supporter

Yes. COVID-19 is here to stay, and chances are there will be a COVID-25 and a COVID-29. Hopefully, through technology and common sense, we will figure out ways to live normal lives in this new reality.

Stopped by Discount Tire: business is BOOMING!

At a corner was a young black man dressed in a bright yellow outfit holding a sign that read JESUS WANTS YOU TO UNMASK.

Strange new reality, indeed.

19. 06PTElectricBlue

I don't think we will ever know the true or actual figure of COVID deaths, and those related to the pandemic, because if ALL of the deaths related to the virus were to be counted, IMO, it would be astronomical compared to the present figures ;)

For instance, I heard on the news that many of those that have died during the pandemic, many were never tested for COVID, so their death may actually be virus related, but no one will ever actually know. ;)

Another example, what about suicides during the pandemic, should those be included? Someone loses their job, their now broke, can't pay the rent so they lose their home, their at the end of their rope and they chose to depart this world. Should those be included in the figures? If the pandemic had not come along, they may have not been put into those circumstances. ;)

It has also been said that when this virus comes back, and it most certainly will, that the country won't be shut down again like it was. Look at what this shutdown has cost us, it will be years before we ever recover ;)

Zagnut27 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.