AF: Civil COVID-19 Discussion | Page 7 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Civil COVID-19 Discussion

Discussion in 'Off Topic But Still Civil' started by Ryan, Apr 23, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

Yes, and using Navy crew provides a self-selected, young, fit, well-fed, and healthy sample, the kind of people who are most likely to survive without much damage. (Well-fed means quality, not quantity.) Not exactly a stratified random sample.

Tony K and page2171 like this.
  2. Ryan

Oklahoma apparently has enough tests that the governor recommended everyone who wants to be tested should do so, even without symptoms.

3. wtxiceman

wtxiceman Well-Known Member

Do links have to be approved now before they are posted?

4. wtxiceman

Didnt the World Health Organization also tell us at first it couldnt be transmitted person to person.???????

5. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

As far as I can tell, no they did not say that. They were relying on information from China, and they said there was no evidence at that time indicating that it could be passed easily between humans. Some Coronaviruses pass easily between people and some don’t. And at that time there was no evidence of transmission between people and no healthcare workers were sick. They believed this new virus was closely related to the SARS & MERS viruses, so the WHO was recommending that healthcare workers take precautions. They never said it COULDN’T be transmitted between humans, only that there was no evidence at that point that it could.

At least that’s what I’ve seen from their statements, if there’s a direct quote from WHO officials to the contrary I have not seen it.

Here is their statement at the time:

Thailand responding to the novel coronavirus (at https://www.who.int/thailand/news/detail/13-01-2020-thailand-responding-to-the-novel-coronavirus )

MJAB, Dave Z, Ryan and 1 other person like this.
  6. freshforged

freshforged Well-Known Member

Many people just don’t click blind links—it’s a safety thing.

#126 freshforged, Apr 30, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2020
    Tony K likes this.
  7. freshforged

freshforged Well-Known Member

No.

8. tomit

tomit Well-Known Member

WHO takes marching orders from the CCP.

dana44 and wtxiceman like this.
  9. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

The WHO, like the UN, is hamstrung by competing political influences, corruption, reliance upon a handful of wealthy donor nations, and complex (ineffective) bureaucracy (to name a few). They have done a lot of good over the years such as eradicating small pox and polio, and there are good people there who try to do good work, but they ain’t perfect and reforms need to be put in place. There will be a struggle for influence for the conceivable future because individual donor states will always be seen as having too much influence. That could be China, the US, Russia, etc...they’re all the devil in someone else’s story.

360VF, Tony K, page2171 and 2 others like this.
  10. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

Exactly - out of 5,000 people on board, 600 tested positive and only 1 died.

Dave Z likes this.
  11. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

No, I'm just pretty busy and don't watch random videos, especially if they have already been discredited.

Tony K likes this.
  12. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

The WHO had Americans embedded who told us what was happening as they learned it themselves. With any new disease there is a learning period and in this case China hindered their progress, but the human-transmittable part of this was in the presidential briefings in January, so let's not blame the WHO too much. Our inaction is our fault.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...1c77fa-818c-11ea-9040-68981f488eed_story.html

13. wtxiceman

Ok
    I don't think his video was actually discredited but whatever.

Doug D likes this.
  14. Morty

Morty Well-Known Member

l think that remains to be seen, Dave.
    Death rate per mil:
    Sweden: 2.082
    Norway: 1.445
    Denmark: 1.599

JavelinAMX likes this.
  15. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Morty, Dr Erickson's point regarding Norway and Sweden was the death rate for each was statistically insignificant (his words) and one country had locked down and the other had not though both did implement social distancing. Again - he did not fault anyone for locking down and taking the measures that had been taken as there were too many unknowns and no data initially. Now there is data and he questioned whether the drastic measures need to remain in place. He did say reopening should be slow with more testing, etc.

Tony K and dana44 like this.
  16. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

I’m not saying I blame the WHO, just to be clear. My point about them is that they suffer from many of the issues that plague the UN which at times hampers their ability to work effectively or creates the perception that they’re not working effectively. There are good people there, doing good work. But they have a difficult job managing crises in addition to managing their own bureaucratic failings and having to please the differing requirements of their multiple masters...I mean donors. Imagine having to please officials in the US, China, Russia, etc and be able to tiptoe around dictators while trying to help the citizenry under said dictators. It’s basically tiptoeing through a mine field while under machine gun fire with bombs dropping on top of you.

17. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

On the one hand I agree with you, on the other they are helping more than they are hindering, and it is not their fault when they deliver data and politicians ignore it because science and leadership are hard. (After all, US agencies also delivered this data to our politicians, and other than a couple who used it to play the market, our leaders ignored the US agencies too.)

The WHO would be very helpful right now with countries that do not have our resources. As with AIDS, we can pretend that it's not a problem as long as it's in [pick a continent], but borders are pretty open.

Tony K likes this.
  18. wtxiceman

19. DC-93

DC-93 Well-Known Member

Could be simple that he doesn't want his laptop to get a virus. Lot of that going around these days....

20. DC-93

DC-93 Well-Known Member

Here's numbers from last Monday, so the Positive rate is higher today -

The number of sailors assigned to the aircraft carrier Theodore Roosevelt who have contracted COVID-19 continues to climb as remaining results of the ship’s coronavirus tests trickle in.
    Navy officials said Monday that 955 Roosevelt sailors have active cases of the novel coronavirus, a number that does not include 14 crew members who have been declared fully recovered after yielding two consecutive negative tests. The number of positive cases makes up approximately 20 percent of the ship’s 4,800-person crew.

This info from the Navytimes.com

Tony K likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.