Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

classic prices

Discussion in 'Other classic cars' started by geraldg, Apr 20, 2017.

1. geraldg

Ad-Free Member

Where I live I think a lot of people must be smoking some good stuff as to the prices they are asking for some cars. Way more than they are worth and most need a lot of work. I guess they figure if it is old it has to be worth a lot of money, which a lot are not.

2. 68RT

68RT Well-Known Member

Been that way forever.

Doug D likes this.
  3. Mopar_Gods

Mopar_Gods Member

The problem is people spend a lot restoring and then when they go to sell they also try to include each and everything that they have in it. Each part ! and then they get pissed because they lose a profit most times. Some people have money and some people don't just the way it is nothing new. But then again some people or idiots and others are not lol

rapidtrans likes this.
  4. boblonben

boblonben MOPAR Guy
    Level 2 Supporter

Yep, anyone going into this to make money is smoken bad dope! Unless you've got a big shop with lots of other work to spread the cost of time and all, you just won't make it. But that doesn't mean one can not enjoy the time and effort of bringing an old car/truck back to life. Just accept you ain't getting your money back. Because if you are you will be disappointed.

Bob Lincoln likes this.
  5. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

If you want a good ROI, investing in a car is a poor choice. Better off investing in the stock market.

Investing for your enjoyment of owning a classic is priceless. You just have to realize you'll never recoup the money invested into it.

valiant67 likes this.
  6. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

Plus the costs of holding a classic car are huge. yes, classic car insurance is less than modern car insurance, but you've got to give up garage space or pay storage space for the car - climate controlled if it's a top line restoration.
    There really is a lot more emotional appeal than financial appeal.

7. geraldg

Ad-Free Member

I am talking about the low end, like a 74 dodge dart 4 door, 6 cylinder and people asking high dollar because it is a 74 dart.

8. dana44

Ad-Free Member

There are a lot of people that have these old/classic/muscle cars and they hear or are told, yeah, one just sold for buku bucks, your car is worth a lot. The fact is, if it is original, no rust, runs, and a ton of that, yes, it may be worth that much. The one sold has been completely dismantled, restored and reassembled, and this gets missed. Long gone are the early 90s when you could pick up the Camaro, Mustang, B-bodies, etc., from the 60s and 70s for $1200-2000 and have something to work on, no parts availability to speak of, other than running gear that is, and have some fun. Now, there are a few people out there, as mentioned, that have more money than common sense or looking for a good investment, spend $100K to do a frame off on a car that has good parts availability without the intention of selling anytime soon. So as time goes on, yes, you have to weigh what you have, what you are willing to spend or sell for, what is a fair price and how much it is going to cost to get that car to the buku bucks selling price if you are a buy/fix/restore/sell person and go from there. Crazy world of automobiles these days.

9. Scrounge

Scrounge Well-Known Member

Saw one of these last year at a used car lot near Texarakana. It was older than '74, but a 4-door sedan with a slant 6, and he wanted "only" $7950 for it. The paint job was nice, but it wasn't original. It was sold after several months. Or maybe not sold, but it was no longer on his lot after fall started.

One of the problems might be the "cash for clunkers" program, implemented in 2009, shortly after Obama was elected. Until then, you could still get a running vehicle for $1000, and a fixer-upper for less (in '06, I bought a running '84 D100 with a few dents for $600; it needed cleaning and new fluids). But that program guaranteed a trade-in could knock $3000 off the price of a new vehicle. (At the time, Texas had a similar program, which allowed trade-ins there to be worth $6000.) This gave people the idea that their junkers were worth at least $3000. It also removed too many low-end vehicles from circulation, along with their parts, as junkyards weren't allowed to sell engine parts from them.

dana44 likes this.
  10. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

I have always gotten a good deal on the less-collectable old cars.
    The muscle car market is crazy and those cars don't really appeal to me. Lots of General Lee 'clones' out there.

Lee N. Burns likes this.
  11. geraldg

Ad-Free Member

All I know is a 73 or around that year 4 door with a 6 cly isn't worth what a lot of people are asking for them . like $4K

12. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

Yeah, if they are not rusted out in critical areas, they are worth that much. But they are not worth $8K, and they are not worth $19K with a 360 stuffed into it along with some other performance mods.

13. voiceofstl

voiceofstl Well-Known Member

Most backyard gearheads can work on 60's, early 70's cars but the cars from the 80's and 90's with all the electronics and computers are a serious problem for them.
    The OP is right. 4 or 6 grand for 4 door Valaints and Darts with /6 is crazy but I do see late 90's 300M going cheap that need work but you have to know how work on them and few people do.

14. ClayBelt40's

ClayBelt40's Member

Should see the prices around here. No good place to start in the hobby without some serious money, as everyone thinks they have gold, or else there is too much damage from sitting outside. Best options I have gotten were a super bondoed 1975 Valiant and a tree crushed Rustang.