Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Clean slate for Merger:GM considers killing "Malibu"/LaCrosse/Impala/XTS/Sonic/Spark-Korea

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by Alexbucks, Jul 20, 2017.

1. Alexbucks

Alexbucks Guest

Well all that trashing of Sergio for axing the 200 in other threads.....Mary & RenCen is coming near the same outcome,but far more reaching :
    (The KEY IS "AT LEAST")
    UAW talking to GM about impact of car sales slump on U.S. jobs (at https://finance.yahoo.com/news/uaw-talking-gm-impact-car-201441964.html )
    Now with GM killing the platform mates it soo extremely unlike GM would keep going Malibu on a solely with an aging platform.....(Regal exports will end by the 7th Anniversary of the Opel sale)HINT HINT HINT ...also Mary's Opel Sale presentation called Chevrolet's North American car business "Low-Franchise Value" at the same time Chevrolet's North American Truck/SUV/Crossover business amoung GM's "High Franchise Value" operations.

The Merge Automaker could give Chevrolet a version of the Chrysler Portal to replace The Volt or Bolt.
    It makes Merger planning more clearer....the 300 & Charger will be survivors of FCA-GM Mergers with a Chance of taking former Imapla/LaCrosse owners .
    With a shut down of GM Korea would kill the Spark:
    Union ups ante amid rumors over GM Korea's exit (at http://m.koreatimes.co.kr/phone/news/view.jsp?req_newsidx=233184 )
    GM Korea Faces Biggest-ever Crisis Due to Triple Distresses (at http://www.businesskorea.co.kr/english/news/management/18581-crisis-gm-korea-gm-korea-faces-biggest-ever-crisis-due-triple-distresses )

At the same time GM been taking money out of Korea
    Article from 2016.......
    GM Korea to Start Debt Repayment to Its Headquarters This Year (at http://businesskorea.co.kr/english/news/industry/14516-payback-gm-korea-start-debt-repayment-its-headquarters-year )

2. CNT900

Level 2 Supporter

Ford is looking at making similar moves. I think it's all just a response to falling passenger car sales and rising CUV sales.

GM neither needs nor wants Chrysler, that is abundantly clear. And it is a good thing too, because if they joined together it most certainly would not be a merger.

UN4GTBL, Mopartial, saltydog and 6 others like this.
  3. dennisimperial

dennisimperial Well-Known Member

Does the long in the tooth 300/Charger sell better than the newer LaCrosse/ Impala/Xts?

4. Prabhjot

Prabhjot Active Member

Except that these cost cutting/slashing, balance-sheet-cleaning-up operations of GM on a global basis point imo NOT to being agreeable for a 'merger' say with FCA, but the opposite: a family/dominant-shareholder-less GM management bureaucracy buying time from the capital markets, before the inevitable a few years out from today.

But i agree: the complementarity between fca and gm on a global, esp in latam, china and europe+Jeep+Alfa+Dodge+Maserati, with large synergies possible at the tech, r&d and manufacturing backend even with Ram in the usa......is much too good for GM top management to ignore for too long! The longer they wait to start dealing with Sergio (unless they plan on waiting exactly till his retirement), the more expensive it is going to be for gm, one way or another, to keep themselves propped up on Wall Street, even as margin crunching begins in earnest in the usa (slowdown underway already, though only early days as yet.)

@Alexbucks

Alexbucks and ScramFan like this.
  5. Deckard_Cain

Deckard_Cain Active Member

Well, they just launched the Buick Regal in the US, and the Malibu was actually getting strong sales in 2016. Lets see how this evolves...

6. sickboy

sickboy Well-Known Member

Uggghhh. Please not GM! I'm ok with ford or Suzuki or Mitsubishi, or just about any one, but I despise Chevrolet!

7. Stéphane Dumas

Stéphane Dumas Well-Known Member

The trouble for Mitsubishi, they already have a dancer with Renault-Nissan.

sickboy likes this.
  8. jerseyjoe

jerseyjoe Plymouth Makes It

#8 jerseyjoe, Jul 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
    UN4GTBL and adaptabl like this.
  9. sickboy

sickboy Well-Known Member

They're welcome too!

10. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

Same boat, if they get in bed with gm I'd have a hard time even looking at the products then. I'm fine with them merging with anyone except them but would really like vw.

11. DarkSky

DarkSky Moderator
    Level III Supporter

I'd prefer they don't merge with GM, because I actually like GM's recent products. I don't see how this would even be worth it for GM who has been making strides in quality improvement recently. FCA would only hurt their progress.

Mopartial and jerseyjoe like this.
  12. Tomguy

Tomguy Well-Known Member

May 7,518 Chargers sold
    3,907 300s sold

3,269 Impalas sold
    3,183 LaCrosse sold
    778 XTS sold

June 6,379 Chargers sold
    5,355 300s sold

2,808 Impalas sold
    2,157 LaCrosse sold
    1,000 XTS sold

So yes, the "Long in the tooth" as you say (which, if you actually sit in both, and drive both, you would not say) L platform vehicles, even without the Challenger included, outsell a much higher-volume manufacturer's offerings.

XRT2SRT, Hemidakota, cygnus and 6 others like this.
  13. randy1911

randy1911 Active Member

Hence you double down on the investment of 300/Charger and you bring the refresh to market earlier 2020 not 2021 to keep, gain and recapture the market share and crush the competition. If FCA is smart you give the 300/Charger a refresh with new powertrains (hemi hybird, twin turbo v6) and designs and you bring it in at least by 2020 keep the segment dominated and its a win win.

14. Mike V.

Mike V. Mopar-nac The Moderator
    Level III Supporter

I do not want to see a merger with GM either. I do not think GM dropping sedans is a sign of a merger. I think it is a sign of the market shift.

It is what it is.

Mike

15. dennisimperial

dennisimperial Well-Known Member

WOW!!!!!

16. Tomguy

Tomguy Well-Known Member

Sadly, management at FCA may be delaying these because of what other makers are doing or rumored to do.
    Ford is dropping the non-player Taurus.
    GM is mulling the death of their full-size sedans now.

While FCA is clearly the leader in the segment, FCA may be questioning if it's worth it in a shrinking segment.

That being said, if it were me in charge of FCA, I'd be ensuring my full-size sedans are the best around, because I can now get conquest sales from former Ford & GM buyers that now have no options other than buying an egg.

17. geraldg

Ad-Free Member

The big reason to me about the shrinking sedan market is that they are to low, hard to get in and out of and the back doors are ridiculous. I had a 87 5th ave and never had a problem front or back getting into. The CUV is the new station wagon . You can get in with no problem and you also have a place to carry things, not like the trunk on the sedans. Make a hatchback that looks like a sedan but has a cargo area that you can use like the Sundance and other Chrysler products.

18. Stéphane Dumas

Stéphane Dumas Well-Known Member

Yeah but some said what if the gas prices suddenly rise up and people will rush up to the sedan market....until gas prices drop again?

19. DarkSky

DarkSky Moderator
    Level III Supporter

2018 Buick Regal, Audi A5 Sportback, Kia Stinger, BMW 4-Series Gran Coupe

20. geraldg

Ad-Free Member

Go look at a Sundance and you will see the difference. It has a drop in the back and if you didn't know it would say it was a sedan. Which also made the back doors higher.