Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Clicking sound around ignition switch when shifting in/out of park

Discussion in 'Dodge Journey' started by hmk123, Jul 1, 2016.

1. hmk123

Level III Supporter

Our 2009 Dodge Journey SE started to make a clicking sound when switching in/out of park when the car is running. It sounds like a relay switching and you can feel the vibration when putting your finger onto the dashboard around where the ignition switch is located. So far the car is behaving fine. Any idea what this could be?

2. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

There may be a BTSI (brake-transmission shift interlock) solenoid as part of a cable that runs from the shifter to the ign switch. It prevents you from shifting out of Park unless the brake pedal is pushed. It also won't allow you to remove the ignition key without being in Park.
    I don't know why it is all of a sudden getting louder. Possibly it is resting against something to transmit the noise?

hmk123 likes this.
  3. hmk123

Level III Supporter

Thanks! So this new noise doesn't mean it is starting to go bad?

4. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

I don't know. If the noise has changed (gotten louder), you might want to investigate why.
    Make sure that you and the other drivers know where the emergency Park release is and how to actuate it just in case you had to get it out of Park if the BTSI failed.
    People that don't know can get stranded and the car needlessly gets towed in. The procedure should be covered in the owners manual (See p.312 - BTSI Override).

hmk123 likes this.
  5. hmk123

Level III Supporter

Thank you so much about the override tip! I forgot about that. That makes me feel better driving it. I will get the car checked out next week.

6. Steve Mathers

Steve Mathers Member

Did you find out what is wrong with you Journey? Mine is doing the same thing.

7. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Did you ever receive a R03 (WIN module) recall? I just had that done on our 2010 Journey. They replaced the WIN nodule and we got two new keys. Not sure if the R03 recall applies to the '09's. Never had the issue that's described in this thread. At least I never noticed it.

8. hmk123

Level III Supporter

Yes, our WIN module got replaced. At least half a year ago if not longer.

9. hmk123

Level III Supporter

I am taking it in Saturday morning for them to take a look. So far the car is performing fine. If they can identify what part is causing that click I will probably replace it and post here which part is was.

10. hmk123

Level III Supporter

The dealership took a look and they think it is normal and there is nothing to worry about. It does seem more noticeable on some days and less on others. It sounds like that solenoid is not that easy to get to. So just changing it out for the sake of it would mean to take part of the dash apart. I guess I will have to see what happens....

ImperialCrown likes this.
  11. Denny.mcdonald85

I have the exact same issue with my 2010 journey. Please anyone who has gotten this fixed, or has any idea what the issue is please respond. Anything would be helpful. The vehicle makes a clicking or buzzing noise from the ignition switch area of the dash, only when the car is running and in park once I move the gear selector over to the right it clicks once down around the gear selector then the sound stops. Moving the gear selector back and forth in the park gear makes the noise come and go. Noise is quite loud. Nothing that is normal.

12. hmk123

Level III Supporter

I will need to check mine again and see if it still does it and I just don't notice it or if it has gone away by itself...

13. hmk123

Level III Supporter

Just checked this afternoon. Ours still does it, too. I had the mechanic check this a few months back and they couldn't find anything wrong. So far the clicking has had no impact.