Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Clutch Pedal Grab Point

Discussion in 'L: Horizon/Omni, Rampage, etc' started by 88horizon5speed, Jun 13, 2015.

1. 88horizon5speed

Hey guys,

I'm just curious what the usual grab point is for the clutch on the A525. I know they aren't adjustable but I'm just curious if they are naturally far out on the pedal or not.

2. dana44

Ad-Free Member

Since they are hydraulic and non-adjustable, it should start to engage about a quarter to a third of travel from the floor, so if it starts engaging much higher than that, it means the clutch is just about gone or if it takes a full pedal to disengage it means there is a failure with the hydraulics (master or slave, hard to tell), the hydraulics aren't engaging or disengaging properly.

3. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

NOT hydraulic. It's a self-adjusting cable clutch. The grab point on the two that I have had is very near the bottom and is a little more abrupt than the A523 in my later Daytonas.

floridaman2013 likes this.
  4. dana44

Ad-Free Member

Figured I had a 50/50 chance, so thanks for the correction, learned something, again. Needless to say, still thin or bad clutch.

Bob Lincoln likes this.
  5. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

Do you have clutch pedal 'free-play'? The top 1/4" or so of pedal travel should just be a 'floppy' pedal (until the clutch cable is put under tension).
    62217_free_play_1.jpg
    The self-adjuster mechanisms were fairly reliable and easy to check if they are working or not.
    If free-play is there, then I would have to agree that the clutch disc/plate is worn. You still may have some time before it actually starts slipping, but don't let it get to that point.

6. 88horizon5speed

there is no free play where it is floppy. When I bought it 2 years ago the grab point was pretty far out and it seems like its almost all the way out

7. 88horizon5speed

near the bottom you mean pushing the pedal in to the floor bottom?

8. Bob Lincoln

Level 2 Supporter

It grabs when it's maybe less than an inch off the floor when you release.

9. 88horizon5speed

oh wow so that engages early

10. dana44

Ad-Free Member

Yes, pretty close to the floor. If it isn't, it is usually an indication of a clutch that is going out, the throwout bearing has to travel farther before it starts disengaging the clutch, at the very high (top) arch of the pedal travel.

11. 88horizon5speed

you know what the wierd thing is? On my service records I have written down:

5/6/2008 76,804 miles Valve Cover Gasket
    Front Brake Rotors/ Pads
    Clutch Cable

9/22/2009 78,000 miles Clutch Assembly
    Clutch Cable
    Machine Fly wheel

I now have about 94,xxx. I bought the car In August of 2013 with 79,808 miles.

So, when I bought the car 2 years and 14,000 miles ago the clutch was new and the pedal was out nearly just as far as it is now. what could that mean? CLutch installed wrong, clutch just has a really really far out grab point?

12. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

If they removed a lot of metal when machining the flywheel, it could cause a high-pedal engagement issue.
    Or it may just be worn out. You don't know if the previous owner could drive stick or just drove the car hard. The disc could be worn down to the rivet heads already.
    Generally a clutch replacement is the disc, plate and throw-out bearing. The flywheel may have been heavily scored with grooves and too much was taken off to get it flat again?
    If you take it apart for a clutch wear inspection and replacement, you will probably be able to tell why the pedal is high.

13. 88horizon5speed

i guess its possible they couldnt drive stick, but then again i dont see how you wear a clutch in 900 miles lol. thanks for the info Ill look into it

edit,

btw, the end of the engagement point in high up, but the start of the engagement point is alot lower. It seems to have a long engagement range where it starts and finishes fully

14. Bob Lincoln

Level 2 Supporter

I wonder if the self-adjuster is broken. It's a plastic ratchet mechanism at the top of the clutch arm, under the dash, where the end of the cable attaches inside the car.

I know people who could fry a clutch in 900 miles. My wife wiped out one in 12,000 miles - not by riding it or grinding anything. She used to shut the car off by stalling it with the clutch, instead of turning the ignition off - on purpose. Said that's how she was taught. Finally the clutch lining exploded on 1-2 shift, and she coasted to a stop.

15. dana44

Ad-Free Member

Has to be the auto adjuster noted, or, the cable itself is too short. Gonna have to look at the two connecting points and the holders the sheath ends of the cable attach to, there may be a bent component that does not allow proper cable movement. At this point, when the clutch pedal is out, I wouldn't say there should be play in the cable itself (not the sheath), but it should be kind of neutral, because if it is too tight, that's a little extra pressure of the throwout bearing and pressure plate fingers to start with that shouldn't be happening.

16. 88horizon5speed

well I guess this is all answered, my clutch started slipping this morning. Was driving and all of a sudden the rpms would randomly go from 2000 to 0 and then shoot back and randomly do that every couple minutes. But I turned around and she got me home driving like that for an hour. Now I found on rock auto I can get an AC DELCO clutch kit for $90.

Wierd thing is, every one seems to say that a slipping clutch the RPMS will shoot up, not down. Mine have not once shot up, they only have been going to 0 and back. Im wondering maybe it could just be a coincidence and be a fuel problem like clogged fuel filter (pretty sure its original)

#16 88horizon5speed, Jul 5, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2015
  17. Bob Lincoln

Level 2 Supporter

That's not a slipping clutch, then.

18. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

RPM would drop as the clutch grabbed and race up as it slipped.
    If the tach is dropping down to 0 or bouncing around faster than the engine could physically change speed, then you may have an ignition electrical problem.

19. dana44

Ad-Free Member

Agree, the very top of the clutch pedal is a worn out clutch, just had a friend have to replace him, it grabbed at the very top of the pedal, and disengaged right at the top of the pedal (kind of fun to drive around the block), and the rpm drop, did the engine shut off, too? It could just be the tach itself. To go all the way to zero would have the engine die (no electrical input to the tach from the engine turning), not a slipping clutch, which simply allows the engine to increase and decrease in speed as the clutch slips and grabs.

20. 88horizon5speed

yup, I think it was the fuel filter. After I posted that I was thinking to myself the RPMs would go up not down if it was the clutch. And I can go up a steep hill just fine, clutch definetly isnt slipping right now..

Luckily I had a new fuel filter in the trunk from when I was replacing a couple fuel lines so I put it in. The old one I could barely blow through. Drove the car to get the air out of the lines from the new filter. Took about 26 miles of bucking and surging to mostly go away. Then at about 50 miles of driving it stopped happening. Now it could be contaminants in the gas too, I fill up once a month and am driving only about 250 miles a month. I guess well see