AF: Code P0201. | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Code P0201.

Discussion in 'LH: Large Cars, 1993-2004' started by movinyou, Jul 13, 2015.

1. movinyou

movinyou Active Member

Ok folks. fixed 1, got another. code 201 popped up today. bad injector or am I in for more fun? Something a little injector cleaner will deal with or new injector?

2. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

Code 201 is Injector 1 Control Circuit. I would examine the injector plug, wiring harness and computer connection first.

3. movinyou

movinyou Active Member

Looks like you have to pull the plenum to get at the injector correct? Also, where is the ECM?

4. movinyou

movinyou Active Member

Ok I'm still baffled. Replaced the injector because it didn't ohm to specs, checked the wiring and checked the connectors at both the pcm and the injector and still getting a code P0201. I tried the ol' screw driver on the injector and it sounds the same as the other 5. The one brite spot is that at about 1500 rpm, the engine does smooth out and sounds normal. any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

5. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

I usually swap the suspect injector with an adjacent injector and see if the fault follows the injector or stays at the same cylinder. If it stays at the same cylinder with a different injector, you are probably looking at a wiring harness or PCM issue.

6. movinyou

movinyou Active Member

Since I replaced the #1 Injector I don't suspect that. But, what am I looking for in the harness and if it is the pcm, what kind of headache am I looking for having a pats key and all. Would it require Chrysler to Flash it?

7. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

What did you get for the resistance of the injector? Did you unplug it and measure across it?

8. movinyou

movinyou Active Member

the old injector was at 25 ohms. the book I have says it should be between 10 and 13. Thus it was changed. On a whim, I'm going to check the alt. voltage. it still has the original alt. and it may be trying to give up (don't blame it after 16 years). Working on the thought that if the alt is not putting out, correct voltage may not be getting to the #1 injector.

9. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

Injector resistance will vary widely with temperature and isn't a great test for a coil. You still can have shorted windings.
    A coil will have a back-EMF 'kick' when power is removed. This test shows a coil is a coil and not a resistor and is the same test that the PCM performs and looks for when testing injectors and solenoids.
    Tighten up the 'grip' of all terminals and unplug/replug them a few times between the injectors and PCM.

10. movinyou

movinyou Active Member

Is there another plug in the harness I might be missing? I think I've been through all the connections (2PCM, 2 just beside the PCM and the injector). I can hear the injector "clicking" and I still have a loopy idle and code P0201 but it is taking a little longer to appear(couple of min.) Do I risk burning a couple of valves if I try to drive it? Been borrowing a V-10 Ram and of course, it will pass anything on the road except a gas station. Gonna put a new set of plugs in since I'm not quite sure anyway when I put the last set in. Usually I record everything but, this one I missed. Thanks for all your help

11. movinyou

movinyou Active Member

Still trying to figure this puppy out. Does anybody know which plug on the pcm feeds the #1 injector and, although I haven't checked it yet, could loss of compression trip the P0201 code?

12. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

See p. 112 here:
    http://oskin.ru/pub/chrysler-dodge/...d/LH_Powertrain_Diagnostic_Manual/ELH_PWR.PDF
    Review your 'Possible Causes'. Perform your tests to eliminate them one at a time and narrow down the possibilities. Cylinder compression isn't a possible cause. This is likely electrical.
    Schematic on p. 369. PCM pinout on p. 363 and 364. Follow the wiring to look for intermediate connectors.
    It is either a high resistance or rub-through to ground in the wiring harness or a PCM injector driver failing.

13. movinyou

movinyou Active Member

ImperialCrown, you are a life saver. Now, 1 more question and I'll leave you alone 'till at least Saturday. If the pcm driver is at fault, will reflashing the current pcm correct the problem or will I have to buy a new PCM?

14. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

If the injector driver is failing, that would mean a PCM replacement. A driver is usually a transistor used as a switch to turn the injector on or off. There is one driver for each injector.
    A reflash would only address a software (set of processor instructions) change.

15. movinyou

movinyou Active Member

Thanks for the diagram. Just brought up something weird. chk'd the driver wire from cavity 13 on connector C1 (the top plug?) got .5 ohms from plug to injector. did a continuity check and that was ok until I checked the driver wire from the injector plug to the block and got continuity as well. is that normal or what? With what I know about wiring, to me says bad wire. So, I chk'd between the injector plug and some the the other pins in the C1 and got continuity. What gives?

16. movinyou

movinyou Active Member

One other thing. Can I splice in another wire straight from the injector plug to the connector and call it good?

17. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

Are these readings with the PCM and injector connectors plugged in? You should unplug them at both ends and retry the measurements. You want less than a 0.5Ω continuity between the wire end-to-end and infinite ohms to ground. Maybe 0.3Ω max is OK.

18. movinyou

movinyou Active Member

Sorry for the confusion. The harness was completely unplugged from the pcm(both plugs) and injector when I tested them. I was shocked to get continuity between the harness and the block with the harness being supposedly isolated and totally unplugged for the driver circuit

19. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

That may be the problem. Follow the harness and make sure that it is not resting on any mildly 'sharp' edges that could cut into the insulation and ground it.

20. movinyou

movinyou Active Member

Could not find any "bad" areas in the harness. Ran a new wire from injector and grafted it into the wire at the pcm and am still getting the P0201 code. PCM issue? also, if that is the case, Autozone offers pcm's that require no further programing when received. Is that even possible even with a sentry system? And, since I don't have a chrysler dealer close, can a pcm be programed on a bench. I really don't want to drag it 50 miles if it can be done on a bench. Sir, you have been a big help so far and it is appreciated. hopefully you have some good news. Thank you