AF: Coming soon: the 2020 Jeep Grand Cherokees | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming soon: the 2020 Jeep Grand Cherokees

Discussion in 'Grand Cherokee, Durango, etc' started by Dave Z, Jan 2, 2019.

1. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

The next-generation 2020 Jeep Grand Cherokees are coming, and the hints and tips are slowly coming in as well.

[​IMG]

First, powertrains: Higher fuel economy will probably be a priority at the low end (hence the mild-hybrid), while class-leading or at least class-competitive power are important on the high end. Thus, we can expect the Hellcat and one other big V8 to remain. The 392 V8 may continue, with or without modifications, or it may be replaced by the rumored 426 Hemi or a retuned Hellcat… or by a third big-V8 option. It would be interesting to see a 6.2 Hemi Hybrid. Could it top 500 horsepower? Would the “Hybrid” outweigh the “Hemi” among hybrid-unfriendly buyers?

The 5.7 Hemi has been rumored to be leaving, on and off; whether it does or not may depend on how many GME T-6s are around when the Grand Cherokee launches. The 5.7, in our opinion, is most likely to be an option when the Grand Cherokee comes out of the gate, but may not last. The base engine is likely to remain the Pentastar V6, but it might be sold as a mild-hybrid, as it is on the Ram 1500. The diesel hasn’t been making much buzz and might stay disappeared, so to speak.

[​IMG]

For a while there was talk of the Grand Cherokee moving to the Giorgio platform, but as far as we can tell, it’s going to be more of a JK3 than anything else. The platform and architecture have worked well so far, and radical changes for a good profit maker seem pointless if there’s no clear gain. The large cars may be inheriting some Giorgio engineering, but the Grand Cherokee seems to be continuing on its current path.

The most visible change will probably be the rebranding of the Durango into the Grand Cherokee family. Instead of a two-rows-of-seats Grand Cherokee and a three-rows-of-seats Dodge Durango, we would have just two lengths of Grand Cherokee; perhaps, in Chrysler tradition, it would be the Grand Grand Cherokee, or Grander Cherokee, or Gran Grand Cherokee. In any case, the big question there is whether the Durango suspension changes would continue, or be dropped. The Durango is currently tuned a little differently to make it more on-road friendly; but Jeeps really need to be off-road-tuned. (The other question, really, is whether the longer version would have the clearances and body strength to match current Grand Cherokee standards.)

We should be finding out many more details in the next year, so stay tuned.

Read the whole post here.

W6PEA likes this.
  2. AgentSkelly

AgentSkelly Member

They could call it the Chief Cherokee :p

W6PEA likes this.
  3. W6PEA

W6PEA "Old Jarhead"

I had a JGC Overland stolen from my condo parking spot was looking at the Durango as a replacement vehicle, but I told that the AWD is a horror story!

4. valiant67

valiant67 ...

I’ve never heard any problems with Durango AWD. I’d just make sure to get one with a 2 speed transfer case.

5. W6PEA

W6PEA "Old Jarhead"

The service writer and the service manager at the dealership where I bought my 2016 Ram 2500 IL-6 6.7L CTD both told me to stay away from the AWD Durango. Also there is not one Durango in So. Cal or within 150 miles with a 2 speed transfer case. Because of problems trying to flat tow it. We are waiting for our insurance to settle our claim so now it's hurry up and wait.

6. trublu69

trublu69 Active Member

Speaking as an owner of a Durango Citadel AWD, with 52,000 miles on it, it has been a flawless vehicle from day one, and is an absolute joy to travel in, in all weather. Not sure what they could be referring to as a nightmare, but mine has been a joy to own and drive. Now as for the "2 speed" transfer case, it is standard in the R/T model, and it is the only one that offers a Neutral selection for the transfer case, which is tow friendly, standard AWD is not tow friendly, unless you are full trailering. Good Luck

Chase300 likes this.