Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming up on end of 3 year warranty - suggestions?

Discussion in 'Dodge Journey' started by Powdered Toast Man, Mar 28, 2014.

1. Powdered Toast Man

Powdered Toast Man Move along, nothing to see here

My 11 Journey's 3-year all inclusive warranty is about to expire. I just took it in to the dealer for an inspection to make sure everything is all right before I lose the coverage. I mentioned that this week the power steering had started to make a louder groan noise while accelerating and making a turn. They just phoned and told me that one of the pressure lines has a leak and they have to order a part. This will be the THIRD power steering line failure since December 2013. It had not been problematic until this point. What I am worried about is that this is turning into a chronic problem with this vehicle and with the warranty about to run out I'm not sure what my options are.

Extend the warranty? Probably an option, however very expensive up front.

Cross my fingers that it's all happened already and that I'll be ok going forward?

Would there be any benefit in calling Chrysler and complaining given that the failures are all limited to the power steering system?

Thoughts?

2. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

I don't know if there would be any benefit to calling Chrysler though it will at least let them know of your issues.

I figure you basically have the following options:

1) keep the vehicle and do nothing - which means all repairs are covered by your wallet
    2) keep the vehicle and purchase an extended warranty for peace of mind
    3) trade in the vehicle (or sell it privately), purchase a new or used vehicle with extended warranty

Just my own experience - we purchased a 2009 Journey SXT brand new off the showroom floor in March 2008. Did not get an extended warranty - just had the basic 3/36 bumper-to-bumper warranty. In the spring of March 2011, the vehicle had a CNN failure (all warning lights cycling on/off on the dash, wipers wiping every 2 seconds even though they were "off") at about 40K miles (car definitely out of warranty). As we did not have the $$$ to repair the vehicle we opted to trade it in for a lightly used 2010 Journey SXT and purchased an extended warranty.

Basically, it's the roll of the dice. Do you not get an extended warranty and pray nothing major fails? Or do you purchase an extended warranty just in case with the realization that you may never have to use it? Given the history of your vehicle with the power steering, I'd lean towards purchasing an extended warranty. It also depends on how much longer you plan on owning the vehicle. It it's long term, then an extended warranty would be a good idea, if short term, then I'd forgo the warranty.

You may want to investigate that if you do purchase an extended warranty, under what terms can you cancel it and if you do would you get any money back.

Hope that helps.

3. saltydog

saltydog Well-Known Member

If you are happy with car, then I too would lean too having the warranty extended. I am sure you could find a coverage that will meet your needs regarding the P/S. Chrysler has serveral warranty options.

4. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

Many service contracts will cover a steering pump or gear, but not hoses. Make sure hoses are spelled out in writing in the contract.
    The contract writers (like insurance companies) know what breaks most often and often those items are not covered unless you pay for a higher tier contract (like wheel bearings, etc.). Understand the various disclaimers.
    I'm sorry that you are having multiple power steering hose leaks. The Mopar warranty is basically 1 year/12,000 miles (19,300 km). ATF+4 is the recommended fluid. Keep all your service receipts.
    If further improvements are made in factory hose quality, you may get a letter from Chrysler. The latest and greatest Mopar hose part number is usually the best there is.
    Be picky, but stay polite.

5. pug-man

pug-man Well-Known Member

So, did you make a decision Powdered Toast Man?

6. Jerry Simcik

Jerry Simcik Well-Known Member

Buy a MaxCare Warranty from Chrysler.

Don't buy it from the dealer, buy it from Chrysler. If you buy it from them, you can make 0% interest payments on it.

It's far less expensive than even one decent shop visit.

You can even buy Lifetime Bumper-to-Bumper warranties. (I have one for my Ram.)

floridaman2013 likes this.
  7. Christopher

Christopher Socially Unacceptable
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

If you're planning on keeping it for any length of time, I would tend to agree with Jerry. I've got a lifetime MaxCare on my Charger. Pretty expensive with the $0 deductible, but knowing I can just drop it off and not have to worry about it is very nice.

8. Powdered Toast Man

Powdered Toast Man Move along, nothing to see here

Did not end up extending. One thing to note: I'm still waiting on that bloody part to come it. It's been weeks and they still haven't gotten a power steering line.