AF: Commander 4.7 engine question | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Commander 4.7 engine question

Discussion in 'Grand Cherokee, Durango, etc' started by russ300h, Jan 27, 2020.

1. russ300h

russ300h Active Member

An older friend needed a newer vehicle. While having some tires fixed on my Durango R/T I saw an '06 Commander for sale at a reasonable price Milage was 137K, so less than 10K a year. I told him to take a look at it and he just went down and outright bought it. It needed some electrical work that the seller fixed. My concern now is the 4.7 engine. As I remember,they gave quite a bit of problems when they first came out. This one runs as smooth as a Swiss Watch. My question is how does a 4.7 compare in reliability to earlier Mopar engines such 318 or 360? He does take good care of a vehicle but if something happens to the engine I really don't want to hear about it Thanks.

2. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Never had a vehicle with the 4.7L, but I seemed to recall you hearing/reading that you didn't want this engine to overheat.

Panterasr9 likes this.
  3. valiant67

valiant67 ...

I've had a couple of 4.7s. Decent engine if well taken care of. I had one in a 2006 Durango and one in a 2008 Dakota. I bought both well used and put 6-10k miles on them before upgrading to something "better". Neither engine used a drop of oil in the time I had them. But both had been very well maintained and ran very smoothly and fairly economically for what they were. I greatly preferred the 2008 as the 4.7 got a major horsepower bump for 2008.

You skimp on the maintenance: let them hot, don't change the oil - you start seeing head and head gasket issues as well as timing chain problems.

4. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

If he really needs a 4WD truck or doesn't drive too much. The Commander is nice enough, but is heavy and only averages about 14-15 mpg.

5. Panterasr9

Panterasr9 Active Member

Don't get them hot and change the oil regularly other than that no known issues that are common. Mine is 165k and going strong drive it 100 miles a day 5 days a week no issues yet at all.

6. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

We've had our 2007 Commander with a 4.7 since 2011. It now has over 200,000 miles and the left bank head gasket went. I decided to replace the engine instead of replacing the head gasket. The cost involved which included a valve job was 1500.00 and I'd still would've had a bottom end with 200,000 miles on it. Our Commander has given us very good service until this, but after it's fixed we plan to put many more miles on it. My wife loves it.

7. Rick Anderson

Rick Anderson Well-Known Member

Certain years of engines, while Diamler was in charge, which would have been the time of the Commander, they switched to low interference fit hardened valve seats in the head..... ...Why? I think cost savings.... ...this lead to a lot of engine with a dropped valve seat.... ....if you overheated the motor you could just about count on a dropped valve seat....

The 318? I thrashed the one I had in High School, we could not break that thing.... ....I knew a guy in High School that was junking his car, tried to blow up his 318, he tried his darndest, couldn't do it, that thing kept running, even doing 70mph in first gear, he even seized it, after it cooled off, it started right back up....

So, compared to a 318, just about any modern engine is not even close to being as reliable or durable.....

8. AgentSkelly

AgentSkelly Active Member

Both the 4.7 and the 3.7 actually were AMC designs; but there was some tweaking on them..

9. Adventurer55

Do you have proof of that? I'm asking because these motors first appeared 12 years after Chrysler bought them.

10. valiant67

valiant67 ...

11. Adventurer55

Probably a few sketches and ideas. They had no capital to even move forward on these. Did Chrysler have any parallel plans for a new V8 as well? I was always lead to believe that the Magnum versions of the 318 and 360 was primarily done by ex AMC engineers.

12. AC TC

AC TC Well-Known Member

I think it was the first steps for going ohc if the market whanted that and well it didnt so the engine became a dead end.
    - its basically quite a good design but like all alu engines its sensitive to overheating.
    - it was also a completly different beast for the shops, this one you could use a sledgehammer on and you needed to be careful when working on them.

13. Adventurer55

We've had one since 2012. Our Commander logged a bit over 200k then a head gasket went south. I decided based on the cost to replace the gasket to repower it.

14. valiant67

valiant67 ...

I’ve had two, both bought well used (but well cared for). I wasn’t overly impressed with the 4.7 in the 2006 Durango. Not enough power for my tastes. I also had the improved 4.7 in a 2008 Dakota. It was a powerful engine.

Both ran file with 150k miles, never used oil, I sold them around 170k miles.