AF: Compact jeeps in general..opinions | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Compact jeeps in general..opinions

Discussion in 'Compacts: Renegade, Patriot, Compass, Caliber' started by NeilG, Aug 6, 2019.

1. NeilG

NeilG New

Certainly I should have researched my purchase before hand, I did not.
    I’m not sure what my options might have been.

We have our vacation coming up and within 3 weeks, both our vehicles have developed major trouble. Nothing I can’t fix but not before the trip. And we were really due for a new car anyway. And my son is a salesman at a dodge/jeep dealer and the deal was all but made between him and my wife. And my credit is sort of crappy. So enough with the excuses...

We bought a 2018 renegade , new old stock I guess. Right off the bat, the AC just is not very cold at all.

Multiple people at my workplace have had many many problems with jeeps in general and one with a renegade in particular. ( his AC stopped working at 14,000 miles)

I’m sort of having a panic attack here. Of course I have the 3 year warranty and I’ll take it in for the AC issue....
    I want to hear from some people out there who like their renegades or other similar compact jeep vehicles! Tell me I am not gonna regret this!!
    We love it so far other than the AC

2. valiant67

valiant67 ...

I have a Renegade. A/C seems decent, but someone else posted theirs had no charge and the dealer had to fix it. Mine was a leftover 2018 as well, heavily discounted. It’s got some random electrical glitches (climate resets to 60*, audio system error with a dead rear speaker, and CarPlay becomes unavailable). A restart fixes the audio issues. Dealer wants it with the audio malfunctioning to diagnose and it’s too random.

The good points are it is fun to drive, decent on gas, surefooted and somewhat sporty for a boxy vehicle, and has a lot of useable interior space.

3. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Here’s an example how good my Renegade A/C is. I sat stationary with two adults and four dogs (30, 50, 70, 110 lbs) for an hour and a half in 95* and the A/C kept us all comfortable.

DC-93 likes this.
  4. NeilG

NeilG New

Thanks! We took it in and there was a leak in the high pressure line, they put a new one in and it’s ice cold now!
    Yes the discounts put it in my range, such as it was considering my credit, etc. We’re loving it so far!!

5. Tin Man 2

Tin Man 2 Active Member

I leased 2 Patriots in a row, the 2014 had a couple electronic glitch’s but the dealer fixed it, I did not care for the CVT but it never gave us any trouble. The 2016 had zero problems, it had the 2.4 AWD 6 speed auto, I really liked this drive train. Now we have a 2019 Compass Limited AWD 2.4 with the 9 speed, VERY nice drive combo, my only complaint with my wife’s new Compass is just to much electronic BS, we have had a couple electronic glitches but they fixed themselves, I would NEVER BUY a new car, I can’t imagine the electronic problems in 5 years, I will continue to lease a new car for the Wife, but I will keep an older vehicle for my self.

6. Morty

Morty Well-Known Member

l could not agree with you more.;)

voiceofstl likes this.
  7. Mastertech63

Supporter

I have a 2016 Renegade Limited 4 x 4. It has been 99.9% flawless. The relay for the drive seat is temperamental. Decides when it wants to stop working. Remove and install the relay and it is fine. Minor issue since my wife drives it mostly and does not need to move the seat once it has been adjusted. She won't give it up! She says it is the best fit for her since selling her 2003 Scion xB.
    I live in NC and the Jeep has been to MD & FL several times as well as a few cub scout camping trips. Versatile little Jeep.

ImperialCrown likes this.
  8. humdrum

humdrum Well-Known Member

My 2014 Cherokee now has 65000+ miles and other than oil changes it had to go in once for a leaky trans oil gasket. replaced under extended warranty. Other than that it has been a "warier", good to go at a drop of a hat. Love it.

9. valiant67

valiant67 ...

I’ve had three. First was 2014 Cherokee. Other than a grill shutter error, it was nice for 30k miles. But then came a 2017 Cherokee and a 2018 Renegade. All were 2.4 9 speeds. The 2014 was FWD, the others AWD.
    The 2017 Cherokee at 18k miles and the 2918 Renegade at 15k miles both developed rough 1-2 and 2-1 shits. Despite software updates, the rough shifts were never fixed and they were traded.

10. DC-93

DC-93 Well-Known Member

Got a 2018 Compass Limited, all loaded up, for a year now.
    No issues.
    Pulled me up an icy gravel road no problem last winter.
    Goes through a foot of snow, like we got clobbered with last week, no problem.
    75 - 80 mph gets close to 30 MPGs.
    Love the heated seats and steering wheel!

Only "problem" is finding it in a parking lot, since there are so many Compass's around here.

ImperialCrown likes this.