Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Compass Trailhawk VS Renegade Trailhawk:

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by redriderbob, Nov 26, 2017.

1. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

What makes me cringe is the lack of articulation of CUVs.

They look like arthritis sufferers.

CherokeeVision, UN4GTBL and Zagnut27 like this.
  2. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

Mall-Rated...

Light Trail-Rated

aldo90731 likes this.
  3. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic
    Level 2 Supporter

Yes...they seemed so pedestrian to me...until I realized they were the same ones I have. :p

Yes. Very ungainly and uncomfortable looking. Like an old man with a bad back trying to put on his socks. The job may or may not get done...but it definitely won’t be pretty either way. :D

4. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

Trail (n) - a beaten path through rough country such as a forest or moor. synonyms: path, pathway, way, footpath, walk, track, course, route
    "provincial parks with nature trails"

chiltern_woodland-chilterns_conservation_board_0.jpg

So yes, Compass, Renegade, Cherokee are well worth the "Trail Rated" badge.

2014-Jeep-Cherokee-TrailHawk-front-grille-view-offroad.jpg

2017-Jeep-Compass-Trailhawk-front-three-quarter-02.jpg

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wrangler is more "rock crawler" than trail rated... but all of these SUV/CUVs are pretty capable of getting some amazing places...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#24 redriderbob, Nov 27, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
    danbek, TripleT, ScramFan and 2 others like this.
  5. BobbiBigWheels

BobbiBigWheels I'm likely at work...
    Level 2 Supporter

@redriderbob - I'll throw some knobby all-terrains on my Charger, slap a "Trail-rated" badge on the side, and be just as capable as the Compass/Renegade if we're going to use the literal meaning of "Trail".

aldo90731, GasAxe, rapidtrans and 2 others like this.
  6. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic
    Level 2 Supporter

Nooo...these vehicles are very capable considering what they are...basically cars that have been pressed into duty as Jeeps. The engineers have done a remarkable job with them despite the inherent weaknesses in the platform and architecture. I don’t think there’s anything “embarrassing” with their performance except when maybe compared side-by-side with Wrangler. But then again, there aren’t many vehicles that wouldn’t be embarrassed by Wrangler in off road ability. Wrangler has the benefit of being designed from the ground up with off road ability baked in.

Sure we want them to be the best they can be...and always strive for better than before...but let’s see a RAV4 or CRV do what these can do. I’m not a big fan of the soft Jeeps, but I have a healthy amount of respect for them. Now if we can just improve quality, reliability, customer experience...sorry...had to throw that in there. Hey kids...look...Big Ben & Parliament! :)

I thought “Trail Rated” was given to those Jeeps that can make it over the Rubicon...??

GasAxe, danbek and UN4GTBL like this.
  7. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

Defiance_technology_lawkeeper_charger.jpg

Done...

8. suzq044

suzq044 Resident Photoshop Nerd

I don't think people who buy Compass or Renegade TrailHawks will be attempting the Rubicon, or using them to overland much. They'll mostly be relegated to people who think they need AWD or 4x4 to live in the snow states. The occasional Snow-day/Ski-trip, etc, otherwise. Even those who bring theirs off-road will be using trails, or off-roading in OHV areas. The places that are available to open off-road are smaller and smaller. This isn't the 40s, where you can go wherever you damn well please; you have to go where the law says you can, and in most places it's "Stay on Trail" type areas.

Plus, if people want a hard-core off-road vehicle, they'll get a Wrangler.

9. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

And also the Wrangler has its limits compared to other vehicles in offroad environment.
    It always depends on what will the use and what capabilities one needs.

10. DarkSky

DarkSky Moderator
    Level III Supporter

By that logic there's no reason to even buy a Trailhawk, the regular AWD models would be sufficient for nearly everyone. Actually, something like an AWD CR-V or RAV-4 would be good enough.

Point is, if they're going to offer a Trailhawk, it needs to exceed just the "snowy" expectations because those are already covered by regular crossovers. The Jeep needs to be something more.

Erik Latranyi and aldo90731 like this.
  11. Devildodge

Devildodge Active Member

Seems to me that the people reacting to it not making it are what I liken to the people who buy a Ram Longhorn with big chrome wheels and all season tires and get mad cause they can't do what Rebel, or even worse, a Powerwagon can.

These things are bought by people who can't make the concessions to own a Wrangler, but want a Jeep to get them to 99% of the places they would take a Wrangler.

I think Jeep and Ram are doing a fine job giving vehicles to everyone, the people who need a tool, and the people who need a symbol.

12. BobbiBigWheels

BobbiBigWheels I'm likely at work...
    Level 2 Supporter

My comments are being a tad over-analyzed.

The Tigershark sucks.

That's all I'm saying.

13. TripleT

Level III Supporter

Heck my Charger isn't even mall rated.... it wont go over a aggressive speed bump. You must have a different model them me.

JKU12, aldo90731, Zagnut27 and 2 others like this.
  14. DarkSky

DarkSky Moderator
    Level III Supporter

That's why I got rid of mine as quickly as possible. Felt uncomfortable driving it anywhere.

15. TripleT

Level III Supporter

No it pure joy to drive... just not over anything taller then a Mole hill. Needless to say it won't be going the Gateway Speedway next year...

Bottom line these are very capable vehicles. Best in class period. Better tires and they both do the vehicle easily. Traction got worse because of snow, got the Compass, a third try would have got it.

BASONE88 and danbek like this.
  16. hotmach

Level 2 Supporter

You nailed it IMO.
    I was going to post this video last night cuz i was so upset. I just don't get the point to program for cutting the power.

The issue IMO was they selected the wrong terrain programming. They were in rock mode if i recall. Sand, snow, or mud, i think allows wheels to spin avoiding the power cut.

Agree with others however, THawks come with lame tires for trail rated.

UN4GTBL and suzq044 like this.
  17. hotmach

Level 2 Supporter

IMO class leading means little.
    It's a Jeep. It either defines a class or is a class.
    The fact we are making excuses tells the whole story. What happened in this video is shameful.
    Jeep is now the substitute for the mall roaming Chrysler brand, because it only has two options.
    What retains the new Jeep some cred. is the trail rated models. For some reason "TrailRated" requires compromises for grocery comfort.
    How bout if the groceries can't afford the extra MPG, or the noise from luggy tires they opt for the limited model ?

18. suzq044

Because it was programmed and set to "Rock", where if you lose a lot of traction all at once you will probably slide or worse, roll. If they'd set it to something else, it might've given them a little more wheel-spin before parking it. It's a safety mechanism. You live to Jeep another day.

ScramFan, freshforged, danbek and 2 others like this.
  19. rapidtrans

rapidtrans Well-Known Member

These vehicles will be grocery getters for 80% of buyers. Perfect for the soccer mom who's too cool for a mini-van. Fwd and 4 cylinders are fine for this.
    Personally, i find the 2.4 underpowered on paved hilly roads. The Renegade 4x4 i drove seemed to bob all over at hwy speeds in a mild cross breeze.

UN4GTBL and suzq044 like this.
  20. suzq044

"Bobbing all over the road" would've been worse in a Wrangler, in said cross-breeze. lol - it's a little more of a brick than Renegade. lol.

Zagnut27 likes this.