Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Compass Trailhawk VS Renegade Trailhawk:

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by redriderbob, Nov 26, 2017.

1. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic
    Level 2 Supporter

So it sounds like one part tires, one part programming, and one part timid driver = failure to get up the hill. Two thirds of that equation seems to be lack of familiarity with the vehicle and how to use it properly.

This is why I like my command trac. It’s either in 4WD (4Hi or 4Lo) or its in 2WD. Not that I necessarily think it’s better...just less to confuse my night shift brain. :)

danbek and suzq044 like this.
  2. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic
    Level 2 Supporter

Especially with a soft top. It’s like a big sail to catch the wind...lol

suzq044 likes this.
  3. hotmach

Level 2 Supporter

I use my KL TrailHawk's abilities more than the average consumer, thats not say'n much however.
    I also don't consider myself a Jeeper. I do off-road, but in my 2500.
    I cannot convince myself i would ever want my vehicle to think it knows better. Does Wrangler have the ultimate awesome cut power feature ?
    Although we agree Rock was the wrong choice it is interesting a nudge was enough to overcome the lack of power.

4. suzq044

suzq044 Resident Photoshop Nerd

You'll have to read up on it in a day or two when the JL debuts. lol - I suppose it depends on which 4wd system it uses; but like I said: If someone wants a true off-road capable machine, they'll get a Wrangler. If they want a cuv/suv that holds 4-5 ppl, and can handle the worst of on-road or basic-trail conditions, they can get a Renegade, Compass, Cherokee, or even Grand Cherokee. Not everyone needs (or wants) a Wrangler.

Comparing everything Jeep makes to Wrangler is a fairly unfair comparison. It'd be like comparing the (2013+) Dart to the (2018+)Demon, and saying that the Dart's crap because it's not fast enough in a drag race; or saying the Demon is crap because it can't handle like the Dart, and it's worse on-road than the Dart.

As far as the vehicle "knowing better," I agree, but not everyone drives with the same knowledge off-road. You're talking people who just think gunning it is always the answer to every situation, and you have people that have never actually rock-crawled or done anything more than mud-bog or dune-hop, etc; and expect the answer to every off-road obstacle to be the same. We live in an era where the car does more work than the driver, and when the driver has to do something more than hit the gas or brake and steer, they complain about having to actually work towards that goal.

Jeep101 or Rally-school would be a fun addition to the Bondurant SRT school; exclusive to Trailhawks or certain models of Jeep, as Bondurant is to SRT.

#44 suzq044, Nov 27, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
    Stomper, BASONE88, ScramFan and 4 others like this.
  5. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

As other Jeep vehicles, Renegade and Compass use "brake lock differential" (BLD) = use brakes to transfer torque from freely spinning wheel that give no traction (on air, mud, ...) to the opposite one.

There was an article on an australian online publication where are described how Jeep Renegade Trailhawk traction control system works.
    Jeep Renegade Trailhawk - technical analysis | Practical Motoring (at https://practicalmotoring.com.au/car-advice/jeep-renegade-trailhawk-technical-analysis/ )

Also in Jeep Wrangler JK is used BLD.

BASONE88 and tomit like this.
  6. CherokeeVision

CherokeeVision Well-Known Member

I recall several comments in Petersen's 4 Wheel & Off Road when the Grand Cherokee was in its 4x4 of the year competition. They found that using settings other than the logical (labeled) one for a given terrain worked better in some conditions.

There was a time when you could do that. The XJ Cherokee, ZJ and WJ Grand Cherokee's were on par with the Wranglers that were sold side by side those uniframe fixed metal roof vehicles.

suzq044 and aldo90731 like this.
  7. eggwhite93

eggwhite93 Active Member

To be fair, even though the Wangler was very capable then, the JK took the Wrangler to a whole new level.

aldo90731 likes this.
  8. hotmach

Level 2 Supporter

i'll believe it.

Just to make sure the horse is dead ...
    its crazy programming to paralize a vehicle.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  9. danbek

danbek Well-Known Member

Lack of traction

10. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

Why buy a Jeep then? A CR-V or RAV4 will do any of those things, and hold together, and their value, much better.

I don’t think so. FCA is shamelessly milking Wrangler’s iconic status to sell Renegades and Compasses.

FCA is putting those little Wranglers silhouettes on Renegade and Compass windshields on purpose. Renegade’s styling is reminiscent of Wrangler’s on purpose. Trailhawk wheels reminisce those on Wrangler Rubicon on purpose. Even the use of the name “Renegade”, which was a Wrangler trim years ago, was slapped on a CUV on purpose.

After so much Wrangler symbolism, it only makes sense that people will want to compare these vehicles back to the original FCA loves to dangle nonstop in front of everyone.

#50 aldo90731, Nov 28, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
  11. danbek

danbek Well-Known Member

Lack of traction

#51 danbek, Nov 28, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2017
    ScramFan, tlc, jorisr and 1 other person like this.
  12. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

And judging by the sales numbers, many more people have made that decision.

aldo90731 and Erik Latranyi like this.
  13. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

The silhouettes on windshield of Renegade and Compass are not Wrangler, but Willys MA /
    At the launch of Jeep Renegade there was no Wrangler, but Willys.

[​IMG]

BASONE88 and UN4GTBL like this.
  14. Erik Latranyi

Level III Supporter

Just wait until a Subaru is pitted against a Compass and performs better in these situations.

That is when the world will see Jeep bleed for the first time and know that it is vulnerable. That is when the walls start to come crashing down on this charade.

15. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

"Brake Lock Differential" (BLD) in Jeep Wrangler JK.

In second video driver has to change path since the problem is another well known limit of Jeep Wrangler, compared to other vehicles is same category), that is breakover angle.

suzq044 likes this.
  16. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

Brake Lock Differential is really nothing more than an electronic implementation of the system on my father's 1955 Farmall Cub tractor.

There are pros and cons of a brake lock differential vs. a locking rear differential.

I could always make it up the steep garage approach in Georgia with the limited slip rear axle in my 99 Dakota. The traction control on the 07 Magnum often failed to get the car into the garage when the approach was wet from rain. I'd have to back up and increase speed to get past the electronic traction control limitations.

17. dmcdonald

dmcdonald Active Member

This is fact the case. I have used my wife's Renegade Trailhawk in situations enough to figure this out. They would have done much better in the Sand/Mud or even Snow. It allows for a little more tire spin but does not limit the power to the drive train in the same manner. To be clear, that was not a small obstacle but it would have been cleared with less issue in the right setting.

suzq044 likes this.
  18. DarkSky

DarkSky Moderator
    Level III Supporter

You’re right that the symbolism doesn’t imply that the vehicles are directly related to the Wrangler, but if you’re wanting to argue for or against a vehicle based solely on stats (ie no emotional purchases), I don’t think there’s a great reason for anyone to buy Renegade, Compass, or Cherokee over their competition.

19. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

Exactly.

grandchereokeetrailhawk.jpg

Jeep-Cherokee.jpg

FCA-Winter-Drive-Jeep-Renegade.jpg

UN4GTBL, ScramFan and suzq044 like this.
  20. suzq044

suzq044 Resident Photoshop Nerd

Yes, they could, but they prefer Jeep, which is still by far, more capable than either. Would you rather they go to Honda or Toyota? No. Probably not.
    ---
    Wrangler is the halo of Jeep, like demon or hellcat is the halo of Dodge. Do you think everyone buys the hellcats or demons? No, because they're the most expensive and capable in their class, but not everyone wants or needs that much capability, or can simply afford it.

The image of Jeep gets buyers into showrooms, much like the "reliability" or "higher value" images of Honda and Toyota get people into theirs. They know Jeep for it's capability off road, and the image owning a Jeep might give them, even if they don't go off-road enough to need a Wrangler.

Maybe they see owning a Wrangler in the city is pointless and makes them look like a poser, so they get a Grand Cherokee, or something smaller and easier to park in the city, but do occasionally go to the mountains or something and don't want to lug around chains for the rare times it snows. Your needs are not the same as everyone elses, so stop making assumptions, and thinking that every Jeep should be a Wrangler.

#60 suzq044, Nov 28, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2017