Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Compass Trailhawk VS Renegade Trailhawk:

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by redriderbob, Nov 26, 2017.

1. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

Subaru hasn't deployed its new strategy outside of the United States yet.

I am sure it will be coming.

2. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

Subaru strategy for Europe was presented in last months in Belgium.
    It is based on ‘class-leading, real-world’ safety of the new Global Platform and in a more "premium" experience that translates in improved ride, handling, steering and refinement, revised powertrains.
    Than there is the inclusion of a new hybrid vehicle and of an electric vehicle, as well as some autonomous driving.

The models will be new XV, new Impreza, the hybrid at the end of 2019 and than the electric vehicle.

Subaru registrations in European Union + EFTA countries, in total 28 countries, were in 2016 37,189.
    Actually they sell 7 models: XV, Forester, Outback, Levorg, Impreza, WRX STI and BRZ.

Erik Latranyi likes this.
  3. Erik Latranyi

Level III Supporter

Toyota and Honda outsell Jeep 2-1 in the midsize CUV market.

4. danbek

danbek Well-Known Member

I won't ever base emotional decisions solely on stats, elections show us that. The purchase of an automobile is highly emotional, you certainly know that.

5. danbek

danbek Well-Known Member

I will stick by what I said as you always do the same. I'm not insulted, nor should you be.

6. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

Is the Subaru really heavily modified, or just lifted with larger tires? If so, how easy and affordable was it? (I know nothing about Subaru's modification ability) Because one of the legitimate criticisms about Renegade, Compass, and Cherokee is that they can't practically be modified for more ground clearance or larger tires.

What I see with a quick Google search is what I'd call a "real" lift kit for the Subaru while the Renegade lift is nothing but additional spacers using the current springs.

7. BASONE88

Supporter

I don't think the Renegade has any modification.

8. suzq044

suzq044 Resident Photoshop Nerd

You're comparing a stock car vs a modified one. You have to modify the Subaru to get it to do what a Renegade can from the factory. Sure, it sucks that they don't have wrangler-esque wheel-travel, but again, I don't think they need it for most applications.

gforce2002, ScramFan, tlc and 3 others like this.
  9. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

Regarding the Subaru... how can there be a real lift kit for it if it's still a fully independent suspension? Or am I missing something? Did the factory or an aftermarket producer simply make a full replacement for the necessary parts, and figure out clearances?

10. valiant67

Level III Supporter

The Subaru kit has replacement springs, spacers, some brackets, etc. The Renegade has pucks, sway bar links and some brackets. I used “real” in quotation marks because with lift coming from the springs it is possible you get more clearance plus some extra wheel travel. Pucks give you lift but no additional wheel travel.

I’m just amazed as it appears to my mostly untrained in off road modifications that Subaru has better lift options than Renegade. I’d love to know that wasn’t true.

11. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

That's pretty amazing, all right. One wonders why Mopar didn't do the same; maybe their suspension just can't do it, maybe it makes the vehicle unsafe, or maybe they figured you should just get a Cherokee?

suzq044 likes this.
  12. link3721

link3721 Yes, This MK Goes Off-Road
    Level 2 Supporter

Lift kits for IS setups are not cost effective. You also end up with extreme cv angles if you just do a puck lift. When I did my Patriot lift it was taller/stiffer springs with extension limited struts (to prevent the cv issue) and replacing a couple control arms in the rear to maintain alignment. Total cost was a little over $1000 with my own labor for about 2" lift. Good Wrangler lift kits are about 2/3 of that.

13. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

No argument there. But the Subaru seems to be able to get there...

14. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

That kind of modification on Subaru vehicles were originally intended not for "offroading", but are for "rallying", well non tarmac rallies but the ones on dirt.
    That market shrinked, so same modifications were transferred to the other vehicles crossovers/SUV.

The Subaru in the video should have 2" lift with "King Spring" made by Primitive (price USD 900).
    [​IMG]

There is something similar, but without springs recently launched by Teraflex (price USD 350).
    It is a 1.5" lift with spacers for some components and front sway bar quick disconnection to allow to install bigger tyre (225/65 R 17 = 28.5").
    At the rear the spacers are used on the subframe on which is the rear differential, at the base of control arm, than there is a spacer for central transmission shaft bearing and other.
    The parts are made so that geometry of tyres remain almost the same.

As for vehicles that use the transaxle the problem is that You cannot lower the front differential since is solidal to the gearbox. You would need a new gearbox/differential assembly that lowers connections for the half axles. Just a "little bit" expensive. :)
    [​IMG]

GasAxe and link3721 like this.
  15. GasAxe

GasAxe Well-Known Member

That kit has the strangest looking box wrenches I've ever seen...
    :D

somber, UN4GTBL and suzq044 like this.
  16. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

There is also an installation video, useful to see better the Renegade (and Compass) suspensions, at least a part of it.

And there is also the advertisement video.

17. valiant67

Level III Supporter

If the Subaru lift includes new springs, it may both lift the vehicle and provide more wheel travel. I say “may” because I don’t know, but the manufacturer claims they do.

A Renegade kit that is simply uses spacers will lift the vehicle but won’t increase wheel travel.

So the question remains unanswered: why are there better lift options for Subaru than Renegade?

18. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

Because of former rally racing history of Subaru.

19. Mr. Fusion

Level 2 Supporter

You guys are kind of glossing over the fact that the Subaru in that video had the entire front bumper removed. That's hardly a minor modification. That plus everything noted above was needed just to equal the capability of a stock Renegade.

Subies are fairly tough, but while there may be some overlap, they are going after a different market than Jeep. I think even Subaru executives would readily admit to that. It's more like Jeep is bringing their capability into other automakers' segments.

This notion of "every Jeep must be as capable as a Wrangler" is pure silliness. The Jeep division is going for "every Jeep must be the most capable in its class," which any reasonable person would applaud.

20. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

I forgot to add that there are already springs for Jeep Renegade, to have a higher or lower height, for most for not Trailhawk models.
    There should be at least one for Trailhawk that use also the springs.

I personally doesn't like any of this modifications, that alters riding height and dynamic of the vehicle that are not the ones designed by the vehicle manufacturer, to be used in public roads.
    Not because of the safety of the driver, but because can cause damage to other persons.

Same is for tyres size different than the ones allowed by vehicle manufacturer.