Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Compass Trailhawk VS Renegade Trailhawk:

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by redriderbob, Nov 26, 2017.

1. GasAxe

GasAxe Well-Known Member

I agree not every Jeep can or should be as capable as a Wrangler. I do think there should be a baseline for capability for every Jeep though. Just because the competition has moved from the more straight forward truck based SUV to the blurry crossover segment, Jeep should hold itself to a moderately higher standard no matter how low the bottom drops out. Based on what engineering moves and product decisions Jeep has made the last couple of years, I'm not nearly as worried that they will completely sell Jeeps soul. I'd still like to eventually see all Jeeps come standard with an AWD/4WD system with only an occasional outlier (Trackhawk for example) and let Dodge and Chrysler sell the 2WD crossovers/SUVs.

Mr. Fusion and wvutuba like this.
  2. T_690

T_690 Active Member

Will they improve on ~35k sales per year in Europe? They could but not by a lot. They are not present in important car categories in Europe.

3. link3721

link3721 Yes, This MK Goes Off-Road
    Level 2 Supporter

But at what cost compared to just buying a stock Trailhawk? That factor seems to be unknown
    Wheel travel is only increased by changing the strut inside the spring. Increase the extending travel and you risk destroying the cv joints and getting stranded somewhere. I would say that isn't a "good" lift option. This is an inherent risk with lifting an IS system, thus why there are few.

freshforged likes this.
  4. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

By that definition “most capable in class” Pacifica could be transferred to the Jeep lineup.

GasAxe likes this.
  5. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

But yet increased wheel travel IS advertised as an advantage of this kit. I agree there is still going to be an issue with CV joints.

Dave Z likes this.
  6. dmcdonald

dmcdonald Active Member

As we know, aftermarket components aren't necessarily designed with the same set of durability standards. As you posted, a kit such as this may increase travel but is definitely risky when determining its effect on other components in the system.

I get to drive a Renegade Trailhawk on a very regular basis. There is no doubt its capability (specifically, suspension articulation) is limited compared to my JKU; however, I would caution people who have not spent significant time in one (note, this is not directed to you...just a general statement) to exaggerate the vehicles limitations. It is a much more capable CUV than most people assume. The feature that gave it trouble in the TFL video was small but given my experience with the Renegade TH I am convinced they picked the wrong setting on the AWD selector.

tomit, gforce2002 and DAGAR like this.
  7. BobbiBigWheels

BobbiBigWheels I'm likely at work...
    Level 2 Supporter

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

@redriderbob and I had a similar discussion. I actually believe Jeep is missing the market not offering an AWD 4 Door Wrangler with power seats, heated/ventilated, power glass sunroof... basically a LandRover Wrangler. Hate me all you want, there's a market there.

UN4GTBL, tomit, CudaPete and 2 others like this.
  8. DarkSky

DarkSky Moderator
    Level III Supporter

Keep the 4WD system of the Sahara, but with all those features and call it the Wrangler Unlimited Summit... More affordable G-Class. Might photoshop something.

UN4GTBL and somber like this.
  9. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

He means G-Class ;)

BobbiBigWheels likes this.
  10. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

11. DarkSky

DarkSky Moderator
    Level III Supporter

[​IMG]

suzq044 and BobbiBigWheels like this.
  12. suzq044

suzq044 Resident Photoshop Nerd

UN4GTBL, ScramFan and freshforged like this.
  13. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

I agree.

@CudaPete ‘s argument to derive a Chrysler SUV off JL with all those creature comforts to avoid detracting from Wrangler’s offroad mission would make sense.

CudaPete likes this.
  14. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

The ratio of wheel + tire size relative to the rest of the vehicle is one of Wrangler’s best traits. And it was increased under JK.

suzq044 likes this.
  15. DarkSky

DarkSky Moderator
    Level III Supporter

I think a 3-row Wrangler without a removable top, doors, or fold down windshield, but with all the luxury features from the Grand Cherokee would do very well too.

eggwhite93 likes this.
  16. CudaPete

Ad-Free Member

17. suzq044

suzq044 Resident Photoshop Nerd

They'll call that the Grand Wagoneer ;)

18. Mr. Fusion

Level 2 Supporter

Well, I thought "off-road capable" was implied, but for the record...I meant off-road capable. We're still talking about Jeep, after all!

The suggestion above by @GasAxe is a point very well made: Without changing anything else, Jeep could make AWD or 4WD standard throughout their entire lineup, and that would solidify their brand positioning IMO. This is something that has clearly paid dividends for Subaru.

I thought the take rate for FWD (or RWD) on Jeeps was low anyway, but it's been a while since I've heard those stats.

GasAxe likes this.
  19. DarkSky

DarkSky Moderator
    Level III Supporter

I was thinking today that the Wagoneer should be a more luxurious 3-row Wrangler and the GW should be based on the DT.

20. DarkSky

DarkSky Moderator
    Level III Supporter

We sell many more FWD Jeeps than 4x4 models. The Grand Cherokees we sell are usually 4x4, but the Renegades, Compasses, and Cherokees are almost all FWD models.

suzq044 likes this.