Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Computer question for dealership employees...

Discussion in 'Car Dealer Hangout' started by page2171, Sep 20, 2016.

1. page2171

Level 2 Supporter

So, this is a bit of a different question than normal (mods feel free to move if I put this in the wrong forum).

For a computer networking class I'm in we have an assignment to design a network for a new car dealership. To make this somewhat realistic (I'm a bit of a perfectionist in this way) I'm trying to figure out a basic breakdown of the people that would work in a dealership.

I know there will be a Sales Manager, Salesmen, and finance guys. I'm sure there are more, but that is just what I'm familiar with. Anybody care to chime in and fill in the blanks?

2. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

Parts manager and workers; mechanics. Both would need some kind of internet access for parts manuals and service procedures.

valiant67 likes this.
  3. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

And to download software flashes for service.

4. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

The “tech advisors” (a fancy name for “guys who write down your complaints”) constantly interact with the corporate database which is s.l.o.w. and probably very very poorly designed, sending far more information than it needs to (just guessing based on what I've seen at FCA and over the years).

There are also graphics that must be sent and those are probably usually not optimal, either. This happens pretty constantly. You would need failover, too — some sort of backup — e.g. if you have DSL as your primary hookup you would need cable, satellite, cellular, even dialup so there is always some sort of a connection.

The service guys actually will be the heaviest users. I've seen the sales and finance systems and they could probably work by dialup! It's almost all text. That may have changed now or it may vary by system but text is usually easy enough, and most of the time the salesmen are talking with customers rather than accessing options and such on the computer.

Posting in the dealer area may be sensible.

5. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

DealerConnect is the private go-to website for dealership sales, service and administration employees.
    Communication with the vehicle from the FCA database for updates takes place over a secure Ethernet link.

DarkSky and Bob Lincoln like this.
  6. page2171

Level 2 Supporter

Thanks for the input...keep it coming. In the mean time I'm going to post in the dealer area as well.

7. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

I will combine the threads in the Car Dealer Hangout to keep this discussion congruent.

8. page2171

Level 2 Supporter

Thank you!

9. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

Except at check-in with the handheld device, when the VIN, error codes, and other data are sent wirelessly. (That's new.)

10. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

We had our Journey in for its annual state safety inspection recently and I noticed how they connected a small unit to the connection under the dash which transmitted the data (VIN, etc) to the handheld unit the service writer had. I thought that was pretty neat.

11. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

There is a lot of wireless (Bluetooth) technology within the dealership now. Wi-Fi can be found throughout, for both employees and customers on the premises.
    A wireless connection between a car and a piece of test equipment, state inspection terminal or online diagnostic terminal means that we break fewer connection cables.
    Cables between the car and the terminal were always in need of regular replacement due to pulls, wear and tear. It was maddening when they would first become intermittent before failing completely.

12. FreeLantz

FreeLantz Well-Known Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

General Manager
    Assistant GM (in some larger stores)
    Administrative assistant

General Sales Manager
    New Car Sales Manager
    Used Car Sales Manager
    New and Used Car Desk Managers - usually three or four of each
    Salespeople - Let's say twenty of those to make a nice round number

Finance director
    Finance managers - probably three or four
    Finance administrative assistant

Service Director
    Service Writers - four or five typically
    Techs - A dozen or so is the average for a franchised dealership

Parts Director
    Parts counter help (internal)
    Parts counter help (external)

Not to mention... in some stores...

Inventory manager
    PR/social media coordinator
    Human resources personnel
    In-house photographer(s)

13. page2171

Level 2 Supporter

Thanks guys! You are all awesome! This is really helping me visualize things.