Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Conner Ave closing

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by Dave Z, Jul 12, 2017.

1. GasAxe

GasAxe Well-Known Member

Permanent. That sucks.:( I hope the relocation to other facilities isn't to tough on the workers.

jerseyjoe likes this.
  2. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

Sales had nothing to do with the Viper being axed. Believe it or not, Viper is a money maker for FCA US when it comes to marketing and merchandising. It all has come down to paying off the debt and redistributing the money allotted for the program. Conner will be reutilized for something else, just not the assembly of a car.

Because of the experience of building a new Viper V-10 mandated to meet emissions after 2020, it is unlikely that Viper would come back as a V-10. There is a car planned to replace the slot left by the current Viper, although the car will be more than likely not hand assembled and would run down a normal line like its arch enemy the Corvette. The Viper replacement will share an upcoming GT sports car based platform with a new Alfa Romeo and Maserati. The Viper replacement would more than likely be the cheaper alternative to the other three but be distinctively Dodge/SRT. I would more commonly look at the upcoming next generation of HEMI engines for the key to the heart of the new beast.

Report: The Dodge Viper Might Live Again (at http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-shows/detroit-auto-show/news/a27869/marchionne-new-viper-could-happen/ )

Marchionne: Dodge Viper Replacement Possible (at http://fcauthority.com/2016/01/marchionne-dodge-two-seater-with-significantly-improved-performance-over-viper-still-possible/ )

New Viper 'is a possibility,' Sergio Marchionne says (at http://www.autoblog.com/2016/01/13/dodge-viper-marchionne-future/ )

So don't give up home. We will have another Dodge/SRT GT sports car.... will it have the DNA of the Viper... sadly no!

3. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

It's happened many times in the past.... most of them will be absorbed into either SHAP, Warren Truck or Jefferson (which is right near by).

GasAxe likes this.
  4. UN4GTBL

Level 2 Supporter

Hope all the workers are looked after.

The Viper will be missed.

wolfsblood07 and jerseyjoe like this.
  5. GasAxe

GasAxe Well-Known Member

Doesn't seem likely since Larry V. reported it's a permanent closing instead of shifting to other work. I'd hate to see FCA drop a presumably good asset.

6. Erik Latranyi

Level III Supporter

So, when some said that there are plans for Conner Ave, that changed.

People also say there will be a new vehicle in 2022 (or so) to replace the Viper.......but not built at Conner Ave.....maybe Italy?

7. BEEAH

BEEAH Active Member

It really sucks... IMO, Chrysler Group does not have a true Flagship anymore(The Demon does not fit the bill for me, too specialized even as awesome as it is). The Viper was a true example of what the company can do performance wise as it basically dumps on everything regardless of price. That with a dated and heavy powertrain.

She shal be missed. Has to be so much worse for the people who built them. :(

Donte Lindsey and jerseyjoe like this.
  8. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

They aren't going to be getting rid of the property. Its dead center of multiple plants in Detroit... it will be used for something else.

FCA.jpg

UN4GTBL and GasAxe like this.
  9. LordHobbit

LordHobbit Active Member

Sad day. I've loved the Viper since the concept. It has been my dream car for many years. My 11 year old boy wants me to get one so we can rebuild it together. Maybe someday ...

jerseyjoe likes this.
  10. Erik Latranyi

Level III Supporter

Do you know what it will be used for and cannot say?

11. geraldg

Ad-Free Member

So what are the new safety regs in 2020 that Viper cannot meet ????

12. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

Not specifically.

13. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

James A likes this.
  14. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

What a pity. This is probably the best Viper ever.

I'll wait for the Dodge Challenger Satan: $150,000, 1000HP, fiberglass body panels, and 0-60 in 1.5 secs.

Hellcatbroughtmehere likes this.
  15. smithkey08

smithkey08 Member

"The agencies have designed the final standards to preserve consumer choice -- that is, the final standards will not affect consumers’ opportunity to purchase the size of vehicle with the performance, utility and safety features that meet their needs. This is because the standards are structured so as not to create incentives to manufacture vehicles of any particular size (so, for example, there is no incentive to downsize). Thus, consumers will be able to continue to choose from the same types of vehicles that are currently in the marketplace."

I feel like they may have missed the mark on this part.

somber and valiant67 like this.
  16. Max Wedge

Max Wedge Active Member

If the next viper or replacement is built in italy then i think that would stop many people from buying it that are looking for an americain built supercar.

jerseyjoe, geraldg, Ian and 1 other person like this.
  17. KrisW

KrisW Active Member

... also, if you wanted an Italian-built supercar, you'd want an Italian badge on it too.

Building in Italy would probably raise costs too, and make it harder to separate the Dodge and Alfa models in the marketplace.

I suspect it'll be US-built in whatever place ends up making Dodge's compacts. The more interesting question though, is with what engine?

18. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

I really don’t think it was CAFE, but slow sales and lack of “buzz.” If you’re going to make a car that doesn’t have a profit, you’d better get marketing buzz out of it. There’s the Demon ... it sells other Challengers. Does the Viper sell any car but Vipers?

I know it was profitable for years, but I don’t think it stayed that way last year. Of course I don’t know...

By a supplier?

The location is interesting, it’s kinda central but not THAT central. There’s a huge property sitting vacant next to JNAP, slowly being demolished. Conner could be used for storage...